I have been using Dreamweaver to build my site. I thought I was pretty good with it but I am stumped with this problem.

My site is saved locally in a folder, that folder contains other folders, one being public_html. That is the root folder of my site as I assume it is for most sites.

However, whenever I create links inside of my site, before the locaion of the link dreamweaver is naming the link like so, public_html/folder/file.htm. The public_html part of the link also get uploaded to server and causes all kinds of dead links since the server see public_html as the root on the server.

What do I have to do to get dreamweaver to recognize the public_html folder as the root so it does not get included when link paths are named/created?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It sounds like you defined whatever folder you have the public_html folder in, as the root in the Define Sites section. You'll need to change that setup.

In Site-->Define Sites (Or "Manage Sites" in MX2004)-->Edit, there should be a box where you can put in the local root folder. Click the little folder icon so you can browse to it, then "open" or "select" the public_html folder as the root.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>as I assume it is for most sites. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bzzt~! My root folders aren't called public_HTML. (It's a common name though) But the above should work no matter what it's called. Whatever you tell DW the root folder is, it will consider to be the root.

Hopefully that's English enough...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Thanks Leader, that was absolutly correct! Your an asset to ABW!

You kick ass Leader

CDC

ABW Ambassador
    Sorry, but if I understand what you're saying (and possibly not), the previous answers are not totallyb correct.

The way Dreamweaver is naming the file is correct. In names it that way so you can run it locally and have all the links functioning.

Once you upload to your site, the links are automatically corrected to show the correct location.

This assumes however, that all pages are in the same folder locally. If they are not, you will have to change the url before you upload as Leader stated.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread