CJ Quality Assurance: Deactivation Rampage
    Words cannot explain the dissatisfaction I feel on dealing with CJ Quality Assurance this last week. Not only was I de-activated, but I absolutely tried my best to make my campaigns and marketing as transparent to them as possible, giving away Adwords ads, Yahoo PPC campaigns, keywords, and networks I purchase banners from.......for absolutely NOTHING.

I gave the QS lady keywords that she could find my ads and so forth under, but she always replied back with "can't seem to view them", when it was apparent that they were LIVE the entire time. Also went through the extra trouble of sending screenshots of the live campaigns and still NO JUSTICE!

So through all the attempts I made to cooperate, I get this letter in return:

"Thank you for submitting this information. Unfortunately we were unable to locate the same ads from your screen shots. As a result your Commission Junction publisher account was deactivated. Your remaining commission (closed commission) will be paid out on or around the 20th of this month. You are not eligible to rejoin the Commission Junction Network, and any attempt to do so shall be null and void."

I spoke of this with my affiliate community and know of 2 others that are having problems with CJ QA as well. Not sure if their trying to cut-back on affiliates, but that is certainly the way it's looking from here.

I just finished a few letters to customer relations about this incident and the way I was treated. Hopefully it will matter to someone, for this is not the way you treat hard working affiliates.

I feel your pain.

Are you new to CJ?

Did your commissions spike out of nowhere ?

No..not really new. I had been a member for maybe around 10 months.

Comissions didn't really spike either, however I was making a bit more than the previous months, but nothing more than a few more extra hundred.

Quote Originally Posted by grafx77
    and networks I purchase banners from...
    Could this be the problem?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Here's the simple solution ... go direct to the merchants who actually were converting thru your efforts and make them an offer they can't refuse. They might not be set up to do sales, but they are ALL doing CPM banner advertising or purchasing banner slots on a monthly basis.

For example: Michael Coley charges merchants $1,000 per month to have their banner spinning in major slot on his coupon site. There is NO reason you cannot make similar offers to merchants who you have had real proven sales results for thru CJ. Depending on your traffic and history, make them an offer they can't refuse.

Sounds like you were using blind re-directs, which is going to get you booted. There is no reason to mask your referring URLs if you're running PPC, unless you're doing something shady.
    [FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=Navy]Jonathan Claydon | [email]jclaydon@real.com[/email][/COLOR] |[COLOR=Gray] Director - Affiliate and Partner Marketing[/COLOR] |[/B] [COLOR=Blue]Real[/COLOR]Networks, Inc.[/FONT]

ABW Ambassador
    Don't know what you're doing but in another thread you said you got the boot from ebay as well so something is causing them to take notice and deactivate you.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by net4biz
    Here's the simple solution ... go direct to the merchants who actually were converting thru your efforts and make them an offer they can't refuse. They might not be set up to do sales, but they are ALL doing CPM banner advertising or purchasing banner slots on a monthly basis.
    Making sweeping statements like these is not productive. NOT all merchants purchase CPM banner ads or banner slots. I would venture to say *most* do not.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by jclaydon
    There is no reason to mask your referring URLs if you're running PPC, unless you're doing something shady.
    Eh? If you have good keywords, you're fully entitled to protect your intellectual property. No point in slaving to find them and then giving them away to the merchant for free. Affiliate marketing is supposed to be a business, not a charity. Your statement is akin to saying that the Coca-Cola company must be doing something shady because they don't publish the coke recipe...
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by La_Valette
    Eh? If you have good keywords, you're fully entitled to protect your intellectual property. No point in slaving to find them and then giving them away to the merchant for free. Affiliate marketing is supposed to be a business, not a charity. Your statement is akin to saying that the Coca-Cola company must be doing something shady because they don't publish the coke recipe...
    Unfortunately there are some merchants that are very quick to assume that affiliates are up to no good when we're only trying to protect our businesses. Sometimes it seems that some merchants would rather just consider us hobbyists and not pay a commission at all. Maybe just an occasional "thanks for the traffic" would be sufficient.

In this particular case, jclaydon has given me every reason to avoid their program like the plague. We're "doing something shady" for maintaining what they themselves would consider proprietary data, yet they find it acceptable to overwrite affiliate cookies with their own PPC traffic. Think about it Jon, wouldn't you protect that data from YOU?

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Unfortunately there are some merchants that are very quick to assume that affiliates are up to no good when we're only trying to protect our businesses. Sometimes it seems that some merchants would rather just consider us hobbyists and not pay a commission at all. Maybe just an occasional "thanks for the traffic" would be sufficient.

In this particular case, jclaydon has given me every reason to avoid their program like the plague. We're "doing something shady" for maintaining what they themselves would consider proprietary data, yet they find it acceptable to overwrite affiliate cookies with their own PPC traffic. Think about it Jon, wouldn't you protect that data from YOU?

-rematt
    The bottom line is that you're not allowed to meta redirect and blank the referrer in CJ. CJ removes query strings (where KWs are contained in referrers) from the referrers that the advertiser can see, and only network quality can look at that (and they won't give up query strings to the merchant under any circumstance, even if the affiliate isn't using PPC). The only way a merchant would be able to look at full referrers would be from server logs/analytics, but that's impossible to trace back to an individual affiliate due to the way that 301 redirects work.

Meta redirects that blank referrers are a favorite tool of scammers and affiliates breaking keyword policies to overtake an official site's ad. CJ has had this policy and enforced it from at least when I first had worked on an advertiser end of a program at CJ, nearly 4 years ago. Knowing that the original poster was kicked out of EPN, too, raises some flags for sure.

As for Jon & Real, I have the utmost respect for him and how he treats potential PPC partners. I'm yet to take him up on his offer he made in an email to me, but this guy seems to look out for his PPC affiliates more than any AM I've ever dealt with.

Anyway, if the affiliate isn't doing direct to merchant PPC, there's no way for that keyword to be passed on. If the affiliate is meta-redirecting to hide the fact that they're doing DTM PPC when it isn't allowed, well. that's a reason for termination.

Quote Originally Posted by net4biz

For example: Michael Coley charges merchants $1,000 per month to have their banner spinning in major slot on his coupon site. There is NO reason you cannot make similar offers to merchants who you have had real proven sales results for thru CJ. Depending on your traffic and history, make them an offer they can't refuse.
    Wow, a post by net4biz about CPM... Hows your craigslist killer monetized by CPM coming along?

PPC affiliates don't benefit by putting CPM banners on their landing page, since it'll just drive traffic away from the affiliate offer.

Joshua, thanks for the clarification, I stand corrected. Jon, please accept my apology, I was too quick to judge, exactly what I accused you of doing.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Hey Debbie ... You will not find out who will do a CPM or Slot deal or, if they do unless you ask ...

Most have ad agencies who purchase this kind of media. Obviously you will have to sell them on the idea of putting the banner or links on your site ... but then again you were never one to do much work and if it was not invented by you it's a non-event.

But hey, if you don't do ask you will never get.

If you are interested in making a profit, you can do both CPM and PPC. Depends on what you are selling and the context but a Yahoo sells all sorts of PPC stuff on their site and they also do a big time CPM business.

My Craigslist stuff is doing fine.

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Joshua, thanks for the clarification, I stand corrected. Jon, please accept my apology, I was too quick to judge, exactly what I accused you of doing.

-rematt
    No problem I should have been a bit clearer in my initial post.

Josh summed things up pretty well - we have no access to our affiliates search info. That is one of the protections you are guaranteed by running offers through a network.
    [FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=Navy]Jonathan Claydon | [email]jclaydon@real.com[/email][/COLOR] |[COLOR=Gray] Director - Affiliate and Partner Marketing[/COLOR] |[/B] [COLOR=Blue]Real[/COLOR]Networks, Inc.[/FONT]

Wow....didn't realize I had this many responses so far....wasn't notified via email about following posts past the very first one, which I obviously received.

1. Never said I was blanking the referrer or they couldn't view my my website. All my referrers were showing. They wanted to know all my sources of traffic, which was really quite intrusive. Just because their an Affiliate Network doesn't give them the right to access confidential traffic locations and keywords. They were actually asking me for keywords and all.....

2. I revealed a few of my lower traffic PPC keywords and venues I was using, which QA stated they couldn't find. They were all running 24/7 and every time I typed in the keywords they were shown. I went through the trouble of sending them screenshots, but they stated since they could not view it live, I had to be de-activated. That's what I get for being cooperative!

3. I completely agree with "La_Valette's" statement. My marketing practices are my businesses "intellectual property" and should not have to be compromised because QA "says so", which makes the pill that much harder to swallow since I did reveal keywords and venues.

4. As far as EPN accounts go...that has nothing to do with this situation at all. Almost everyone I know has had their EPN accounts closed due to factors BEYOND their control. Low quality scores, customers who didn't purchase enough after click on links, and the most notorious.....No email, just inactivation. I won't even go there with EPN since they are HIGHLY regarded as the "Kings of Ban-ment" with almost every affiliate known to man. And NO....the people I spoke with were not BHing....including myself. I have personally seen EPN take down businesses that had 80% of their WH income generated from this source.

5. I could always contact the merchant's directly, which I do now with a few, but the simple fact that I was kicked out of CJ for no apparent reason will not bode well with them. Forget the fact that I haven't done anything wrong, but in their eyes, CJ is the law and if the law says I did something....I must have!

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread