Would you turn in a trademark infringer?
    Their website is hurting traffic to your site and the products are "most likely" not officially licensed. (They are made using an officially license product.)

Would you go direct to the companies trademark infringement department and ask if they have permission or casually ask the website owner if they have permission to sell those items?
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

I am not completely clear on what is happening. Are saying they are manufacturing licensed products without permission? If so I would contact the license holder ie the NFL about it.

I don't believe there is much you can personally do about it. I certainly would not contact the website owner myself because you don't have authority over them and the can of worms could get out of your control depending upon who they are. They could be hardened criminals for all you know.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I would
    ask the website owner if they have permission to sell those items?

Maybe they are ignorant or for whatever reasons..

Then take it from there after their response.

http and a telephoto
    I would contact the trademark holder and let them handle it. If you don't own the trademark you will not be able to do a thing about the infringement on any level. I know, I have DCMA'd websites for using mine and others photographs (the copyright notices we still on the images) and the ISP would only make the website remove mine. Each trademark holder needs to contact the individual themselves.

There are cases where the person could have a license, but that should actually be stated somewhere on their site in most cases.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    What's your angle: expose a trademark infringer or find out if the website has a license to sell?

If it's a high-profile trademark breach, then the trademark holder will probably eventually get around to dealing with it.

If it's counterfeiting then that's a more serious issue, basically a criminal one. But people who deal in those kinds of goods are best avoided, the best approach is probably to give the TM holder a heads up.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Thanks for the responses. I think I have my answer now. Chuck's question made me think a bit differently about the issue than I had been. (What did I really want to happen?)

I was having a conflict in my head with visions that this person might be a single mom with handicapped kids and I might hurt them by ending part of their income. That was my initial reason about contacting them first.

But, yup, they could just be mean and nasty people that I want no part of!

Thanks again.
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

The WHOIS data for the domain can often be enlightening in these circumstances.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread