CombatOptical.com Coupon Stupid
    I donít post often, I lurk read and learn. My website promotes Shareasale affiliate merchant Combatoptical.com . The merchant had done some changes to their layout and navigation in the web site. Our sales dipped but our traffic has been consistent.

Well looking at the site closely we discovered that the merchant added a coupon link from their primary navigation. Check this page http://combatoptical.com/catalog/4-R...sight-315.html and go to deals | coupon.

From that link the merchant linked directly to the retailmenot coupon page for their website?

Offering coupons from your own website as a merchant is ill advised IMHO.

Linking directly to an affiliate on your own website to an affiliate coupon is just plain stupid!

I am not exactly sure how I should deal with this merchant. My gut reaction is to march him 20 paces out blind fold him and commence with the execution.

Funny thing is I emailed the problem to the merchant contact and he was oblivious to the issue and could not fathom why this would be a problem. Commence with the 20 paces.

Now I am left to assume there have been changes at the merchant and the new folks are incompetent or just plain stupid.

If you work with Combatoptical and your wonder why your commissions tanked, call retailmenot as they have been cashing in on your traffic.

Brian

http and a telephoto
    That's idiotic. The merchant is also paying for traffic they were converting themselves AND sending people to their competitors via the Retail Me Not site.

Believe it or not, merchants get asked for "link exchanges" by affiliates more frequently than I would believe. My answer is "the deal is *you* send *us* traffic. Not the other way around.

And there are still merchants that think it is OK to ask affiliates for a "normal" backlink in addition to their affiliate link, for SEO purposes. *groan*
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks for pointing this out. My traffic is up and sales tanking with these guys.

We get a link back request quite often but have yet to have any of our clients provide one. If the merchant doesn't see the problem, spell it out:

1) I send a visitor to your site
    2) You send them to this affiliate
    3) This affiliate sets their cookie and overwrites mine
    4) I earn nothing, other affiliate gets paid from MY traffic
    5) Tell me again why I should send you traffic that you send to my competitor

And, do you realize you have a visitor, that you may have obtained for free from your own seo efforts, send them to an affiliate and now pay for that visitor? How does that make sense?

If they still don't see any issue, tell them they can cut you a check each month for, say 1%, of all sales, regardless of whether or not you sent them the visitor. When they say "Why in the world would we do that?", say "Exactly!".
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

What I recommend (and you've done most of this):

1) Point it out to the affiliate manager in a polite, non-threatening way. Most good AMs will quickly realize their mistake and rectify it.

2) If they don't change it and you have a viable alternative, replace them on the site.

3) Politely let them know what you've done and why you've done it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

To follow up Combat optical did respond to my request and they removed the competitor link. The reson for the link was apparently the webmaster added the coupon / link to teh site and used the competitors coupon because he did not know any better???? after a breif discussion the links were removed. One month later my sales are begining to pick up again. Slap that web master in the back of the head!

Excellent! It's always great when Step 1 is all that's needed.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread