Need an Estimate from the Pro's for this newbie. Last count was 97+ merchants, have a five page site and a 9-5 Job. So now I can't due the page a day rule.

So i guess what I'am asking is when you first started, I no everybody is different. How long did it take you all say to complete the so call mall site??

ABW Ambassador
    We have to let that page a day thing go. That was how 1 person did it and that's all. I started mine 2 years ago and it's still not done, probably end of the year before i get it to where i think it's good then just update and add new merchants.

http and a telephoto
    Your site will never be done if you do it right...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thnks 4 your input Trust. My goal is to get it on line asap. I no I will have to keep adding and revising as time goes on.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm not experienced yet, but I'm not doing a page a day. That just doesn't seem like enough pages. I don't do datafeeds or databases or anything. I just do html and keep it kinda simple. I usually make a site and hammer it for a few days and get enough up to get it going. Right now I'm trying to spend the next week or so with half the time spent on getting some links to my sites. I'm hoping google will be updating pagerank on a regular basis again and I'm trying to get ready for it... and then there is yahoo as well. Anyway, I do spurts of this and spurts of that. I'm still new though and trying to find a good way to juggle it all.
    I forgot what I was doing.

Thats why I'am here to learn from the best abw and boy I'm learning every day that I'm here. Thats very true loxly, I sometimes think thats why its taking me awhile to get it published It's the perfectionist in me.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I sometimes think thats why its taking me awhile to get it published It's the perfectionist in me <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Loxly's right, it will never be done if it's done right.

-Publish or perish-

I'm working on two new sites for two different & demanding clients who suddenly realized that their busy seasons are about to break on them and they need websites ASAP. Big, loaded, heavy content sites. First, had to explain the erratic nature of getting indexed. Then had to beat their perfectionist natures into submission for the sake of getting some acceptable pages online & indexed fast. Then we can take our time with tweaking, polishing & general messing around with.

While an "Under Construction" sign on your site should be the kiss of death, every day your site sits in your PC getting prettied up is a day of lost sales.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    I've been uploading sites that might only have around 5 to 15 pages to start with. This isn't a bad thing to start out small then? I kinda figure like you said... get the site going, then tweak and all.

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> every day your site sits in your PC getting prettied up is a day of lost sales.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And a day of lost spidering. These days you don't know which spiders are coming when or how important they are, so get the pages up, as long as they aren't trashy!!!! Pretty them up and reload, nothing says once they are online you are done with them! As long as you have the general look and feel and are comfortable with people poking around, once you load your very first set of pages tell yourself you have 4 weeks to get them totally ready for traffic.

5-10 pages are fine as long as future pages link from those pages. Get an index page up that is as close to perfect as you can and start adding links and sections from there. Heck, brick and mortar malls always have construction and rebuilding and redecorating going on, and each store is constantly changing it's look and inventory...

Under construction is a bad bad thing to say, but "Coming Soon!" and following up with it is ok.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

You all are right. Hair or no Hair the goal is to have up this weekend. Then all get a link on site review so that you tear me up one side then down the other. Just remember that I like it rough.

ABW Ambassador
    I've already noticed how easy it is to upload them quick and then try to get more up and then get backed up to where to have a handful of sites that are wobbling along. I've been focusing so much on getting the sites up that I haven't put enough into getting traffic. Now I'm having to backtrack a little, but hey, it's all still progress I'm hoping.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What Wayne said about perfectionism. It's generally bad for business to be too nitpicky.

With a couple of exceptions: The *tracking code* needs to be perfect! (It's always sick to wonder why a merchant doesn't seem to be tracking and then find out it's because you screwed the code up yourself...) And out-of-date coupons/sales don't convert--no matter what those sites with "pretend" coupons are dreaming of--so that needs to be watched. Other than that, lazze-faire seems to work fine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How long did it take you all say to complete the so call mall site??
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've done malls in anywhere ranging from 1 week to a couple of months, depending on my motivation, the planned "completed" size, and what's involved (single pages, datafeeds, some of each?).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Under construction is a bad bad thing to say, but "Coming Soon!" and following up with it is ok. ~Loxly
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, saying the actual words "under construction" is definitely bad. It scares the buyers away! But I've given up on "coming soon" as the alternative. All-too-often, "soon" on my sites ended up being ages later. So a lot of times I just say, "we currently have such-and-such," or "more to come." But I don't give any indication anymore on when the "more" will "come!"

After all, I don't think it'd be too conversionary to just say "more to come--right after I get sick of playing the Game of the Month. And after I'm done updating all the old ones sites. BTW, buy something, because if this site doesn't show up in my CJ reports I just may forget it exists at all!"
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I used to have a saying that web sites are never complete, just abandoned.

Well ...

The bottom line is the number of pages you control on the web. I personally like the many domains approach rather than a few domains with tons and tons of pages.

While most of my new domains are massive (around 5k to 10k pages) I can work on one domain for a month or so and be done with it. While many people do like to constantly update and tweak their sites I rather work on one domain and then move on to the next. When I am "finished" with one I am expecting not to continue working on it for some time.

I might rework the site months later but generally that is about it. This method also makes it easy to insure your creating very targeted pages.... the more targeted your page the easier it is to score high in the search engines as their are fewer pages as targeted (generally speaking or course).

I think the bottom line is pages .... weather they are all under one or two domains of 100 .... it really does not matter. In some instances however having more domains is a more powerful stratagy. You can then link to your own domains and push up link popularity and pagerank.

Anyway ... good luck ;-)

Cheers,

I believe the rule should be to have quality pages for what ever you are doing. Because quality pages will bring back more repeat buyers. A page a day is not necessary.

Having up to date information on your pages is more important. Because it shows your customers that someone is actually updating the site and its a site to be trusted.

My site started with 12 pages and has now grown to 58 pages. And it is still growing. I update the site everday with new information, coupons, etc. And it doesn't take all day to do. Just a couple of hours a day.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

I've revamped my mall sites twice since I opened it two years ago. Doubled it's size a year ago. This month I am going to completely change it into a datafeed driven site. Mall sits, in my opinion, should always be changing.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> This month I am going to completely change it into a datafeed driven site. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might want to make sure to keep the old pages around until the SEs rank the new ones. Last year or so, someone switched to feeds without saving the old pages and lost all their ranks...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Good point, leader. Thanks! I was planning to keep all the existing file names, just updating a few existing pages a week.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The bottom line is the number of pages you control on the web. I personally like the many domains approach rather than a few domains with tons and tons of pages. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find that approach works better for me too. I like a lot of domains with a small number of pages because I feel so overwhelmed when I try to do a "big" site. Plus, that way it doesn't take me as long to finish and I get a feeling of accomplishment when I'm done.

It just boils down to whatever works best for you. Can you make money from it? If yes, then what you are doing is great. If no, then it's not good.

Kip

Thanks 2 all of you Pro's 4 your input. The on me. Sence I have been here I haved learned so much. I probaly should of started with a one page site but i wanted it all. Once i started signing up with merchants I go hooked 97+ and climbing. Thats what brought me to this idea to due the mall site, It's to late to turn back now K back to the mall I go

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread