Froogle is now live for public consumption. I just saw the link on the site. Are we going to have to become bottom feeders? How are you going to survive the arrival of the Big Search Engines to our playground?
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

ABW Ambassador
    Enough with the dramatics.

The link has been there for a few days now, ever since the new look Google was launched.

Froogle results have been showing in Google FOR MONTHS for certain searches.

It's really not a big deal.

ABW Ambassador
    I believe this is the end of affiliate marketing as we know it. Accordingly, I am preparing for an orderly shutdown of my sites.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimbo2002:
    I believe this is the end of affiliate marketing as we know it. Accordingly, I am preparing for an orderly shutdown of my sites. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

see ya

ABW Ambassador
    After thinking about it some more, i think Froogle is going to kill off everybody here. Everybody pull all your links, shut down your sites, it's all over Bye everybody, it's been fun. Look for me over on Ebay, i'm gonna be the biggest Ebay power seller ever, you just wait and see

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>How are you going to survive the arrival of the Big Search Engines to our playground? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make a playground that isn't dependent on them.

ABW Ambassador
    Been live.

For some reason, I've been getting seeing Froogle as a referrer in my logs for a while. Never did anything to encourage this, but traffic is traffic. So, how do I optimze for Froogle?

Wayne

You people are on drugs today...

Nothing has changed and nothing is different.

Running your business with only one egg in one basket should have put you out of business anyway!

I cannot believe what I am reading here!

DO WHAT WE ALL DO BEST: CHANGE and DIVERSIFY!

TrustNo1 I went to ebay 3 months ago... Slow moving but more money!

HA HA HA Trust you gonna have to eat my dust! LMAO

OK enough drama. Brand recognition is the key. If they love and trust you, they will return. Its not the end. If that was the case, we wouldn't have as many brick and mortar malls today. Carve out your own piece of the world.

Just remember Wal-mart and Home Depot crushed huge amounts of competitors on they're way to greatness. And Google, Yahoo and MSN search engines are on their way along this route too.

Diversify your sites. Offer not only what they do but more. Or offer better information and service.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

ABW Ambassador
    No really not. Froogle is no competitor to me. The results are too poor and no one has an overview over them.

carneol

Check your logs for favicon.ico

If you are getting hits on that then people like you enough to be adding your to their favorites, particulary for those sort of products where people are in research mode for a while before they are in buy mode.

If you are in their favorites at least you are not only in with a chance of a repeat visit but more importantly a repeat visitor who is in buying mode.

For more info on favicon.ico
    go visit
    http://www.wdvl.com/Authoring/Design/Images/Favicon/

Les

ABW Ambassador
    Did I miss something? It seems like every month or so there is a new "the sky is falling" kind of thing with web sales. What's so big about froogle that everyone is ready to give up without even thinking of a way around it? Ask those who have been around awhile... how many times has another challenge come along?

What's the big deal anyway? Can we not get listed in froogle and is everyone going to begin using it or something?
    I forgot what I was doing.

ABW Ambassador
    Oh my word... I just looked at what froogle is. That's scary, but I wouldn't think it the end all kinda thing.

Can we get listed? How does this work?

Also, have you tried searching for anything in froogle... it brings up a jumbled list. Prices are scattered. Yeah, you can sort by prices, but then it brings up anything and everything under those keywords. I guess more targeted phrases might be more efficient.

ABW Ambassador
    These "Sky is falling" types of posts have been around since this board started and there are bound to be plenty more. If Google got a new logo, people would freak out. Everything is going to be ok

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimbo2002:
    I believe this is the end of affiliate marketing as we know it. Accordingly, I am preparing for an orderly shutdown of my sites. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Froogle isn't anything to fear. It's another place to sell your goods.

Affiliate Manager
    What is drama?
    Drama is Google redesigning their site and shifting their search results around. Drama is going to all the various search engine forums after every Google dance and reading the threads about how everyone is going to change their sites or shut them down.

Drama is...

ABW Ambassador
    Oops, sorry... I guess I missed some of the sarcasm and thought everyone was serious.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Also, have you tried searching for anything in froogle... it brings up a jumbled list. Prices are scattered. Yeah, you can sort by prices, but then it brings up anything and everything under those keywords. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Bear in mind this is only the start of froogle. No doubt google will tweak things as time goes by. Joke as much as you like, but anyone who doubts that froogle will put a serious dent in the incomes of us affiliates is burying their head in the sand. General surfers may not know about what the froogle link does yet, but slowly they will, and they'll start using it more and more. We're having a tough enough time as it is with parasiteware, Norton-type blocking, and goodnes knows what. This is another knock.

ABW Ambassador
    "but anyone who doubts that froogle will put a serious dent in the incomes of us affiliates is burying their head in the sand. "

I must have my head in the sand then. Product search has never taken off, there are already product search sites out there, Yahoo has had it for awhile and i'm getting all kinds of Yahoo traffic. Plus you're assuming all affiliates push products and for the affiliates that do push products i doubt they will see a "serious dent"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>but anyone who doubts that froogle will put a serious dent in the incomes of us affiliates is burying their head in the sand. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Surely it's too early to tell.
    I say we hit it hard and we hit it fast with a major, and I mean "major" leaflet campaign.
    Arnold J. Rimmer : Jupiter Mining Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    Just an interesting note: 3% of my shopping site's traffic came from Froogle today.

Wayne

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I must have my head in the sand then. Product search has never taken off, there are already product search sites out there, Yahoo has had it for awhile and i'm getting all kinds of Yahoo traffic." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    People on another forum are reporting that traffic from froogle has already increased 3 or 4-fold since froogle went live.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread