My host shut down my VPS
    I can't believe it... one of my sites doubled in traffic this week (timely topic), and I noticed a slowdown in my VPS. I had been in touch with the host during the past 24 hours about the issue, as there was def unusual activity.

This afternoon they shut down my VPS entirely.. every single account (including client accounts) first saying cpu usage, then DDOS attack. I spoke to a real person only twice who kept saying the tech guys won't bring it back up until the "attack" stops. My emails are going unanswered/ignored.

I've been chasing them for SEVEN hours with nothing. Now I'm desperate to get my own account OFF their server so all the other impacted sites can be restored.

This is so frustrating I could cry. I've signed up with another VPS who will move my sites once I can get a link to the data. Yes, I had a weekly backup on rotation, but it was on the same VPS (separate account).

Appalling customer support. I feel like my sites are being held hostage. Prior to today, I had nothing but nice words about this host, now I can't run away fast enough.

Just venting.. I have no sites to update..

ABW Ambassador
    Can you name the company so others can stay away or move away from them.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I'm so sorry. It is a horrible thing when a host shuts down an account without warning (that happened to me once).

Did you have file caching set up?

Sorry to hear about this, it is like a nightmare. Yes, it happened to me once too and took down several other sites. In my case it was an overabundance of cached files that needed deleting but I was able to get in via CP to fix it. This sounds like a useless host.

I have nothing setup.. was working on a new backup policy (current backup was on same VPS).

I will "out" the host as soon as I get the data for my own sites, as well as the VPS restored. Just need to make sure I get what I need.. I don't want to be trashing them publicly until the sites are safe somewhere else.

So frustrating.. not that it happened.. but the complete silence. That's what's killing me. They don't care, and are doing nothing.

I've now seen that this host is known to do this when a problem occurs. Shut down first, ask questions later (in my case, it's do nothing!).

I've called dozens of times (left a few messages as you NEVER get a real person), and my emails have been unanswered for 3 hours now.

Thanks for listening.. this sucks so bad as my site doubled in traffic this week.

Hang in there teezone!

OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

So sorry this happened. Hope they get it resolved quickly.

Untimely that is for sure especially with your increase in traffic.

I would be very upset too.

Hope the new host is a good one.

Thanks for the support, much appreciated.

I think I've been lied to... the couple of responses I received don't add up (they will wait one hour to restart, they're examining traffic, etc).

Seems the host can't handle the cpu - either it was my site (at which point, I accept responsibility) or they have hardware issues. I've seen both sides argued about this host.

All I want is my site.. it would be easy to install it elsewhere. I'm sitting around waiting...

Wow, this is ironic... my new VPS is ready to go, and I have yet to receive a response from the current host (4 hours later, still waiting for backup link).

Someone might have experience with your old host that could help you. I don't see how mentioning them in a civil manner could effect your outcome.

That's so unfair. Hang in there and don't give up. Tell us the name of the host. You should really investigate the next host.
    Good Luck!
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; October 21st, 2009 at 05:39 PM. Reason: No manual sigs!!!! Once more and IP ban

TZ

it's been a day did you get your data and who was it? VPS by nature should not have shut you down since your paying for your portion, unless you killed your plan on bandwidth????

good luck getting switched

I know we all have an affiliate link to some hosting co or another, but it seems like you have some real accounts with some real traffic.

Check out the cloud hosting offered by RackSpace (formerly mosso),it is not cheap, but you get what you pay for....

I have had massive surges in traffic as trends and marketing hit and miss, the cloud has handled it with no problem. Support is real time via online chat 24/7/365. You can resell it and have them do the billing.

Overall, after almost 16 years involved in the internet, they are the best, most reliable host I have found.

http://rackspacecloud.com [not affiliate link]

Thanks all, for the support...

The VPS with Hostican came back up after 11 hours, with NO word from support. 5 unanswered voice mails, and no less than 10 emails. They were silent for 7 hours during the outage.

The only response from the company was after the fact via the forum - it was supposed DDOS, and in the forum they claimed I was notified in advance of the take-down (absolutely not).

I have moved the high-traffic account to Liquidweb the next day (based on recommendations here & elsewhere), and will plan a transition over time. The high traffic account is working swimmingly over at Liquidweb, and support has been terrific.

Prior to this incident, I had nothing but glowing reviews of Hostican, but they failed me in an emergency. I can't blame them for DDOS, the issue was the lack of communication. Considering my affiliate sites pay my bills now, I need more responsive support in the future.

Teezone,

I am very sorry to hear about your experience. If you still need a VPS, please let me know, i can offer you 2 months free service, windows or linux doesn't matter.

btw just doing this to help an ABW member, of course you can go to any other host anytime after your free subscription ended. No commitment needed.
    Serkan Kutlubay
    myhosting.com - Affiliate Manager
    serkank/[@]/softcom.com
    myhosting: Private Forum, Shareasale, CJ, high commission, parasite free - Join Now!

its unprofessional and un ethical they need to give you at least 24 hours notification.

Sorry to know about your story. Next time you must go with good reputed company.

It is a good lesson for us about bad experiences.

Sorry to hear your plight, first off I don't suppose you would care to comment on just exactly what the HE double hockey sticks, you did to blow up the vps. I have heard this more and more on the boards with affiliates building sites bigger and faster, hosting companies are freaking out, and as far as I am concerned they push their vps, just to get their rev up, and it isn't that much better than a shared account, I think most still use the 10% of cpu usage rule, the people I have heard that got account axed only to be back up in a few days, just to scare the crap out of everyone, then a few days later they get an email form their host that goes something like this.
    "We are sorry for the inconvenient loss of service to your account dada thru dada. To avoid any problems in the future we would like to offer a free month if you switch your account to our dedicated server service, after your free month blah blah.
    It will be interesting to see if you get such an email after this ordeal.

Beats of luck,
    Darwin

Shared hosting has always been a gamble. You win if your sites stay online because it's cheaper than a dedicated hosting account, however when the traffic load gets up you run the risk of getting suspended so that everyone else on the server stays online.
    ("The needs of the many out way the needs of the few" right?)

Shared hosting has always been a gamble.
    The OP is about VPS hosting. It's not really the same as what we normally call Shared Hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    The OP is about VPS hosting. It's not really the same as what we normally call Shared Hosting.
    Depending on the host, VPS's still operate in a shared environment, with multiple accounts per server. Generally those servers are less occupied, but the same rules apply. If one account is causing issues for the whole server the company will almost always pull the plug.

just exactly what the HE double hockey sticks, you did to blow up the vps
    Just saw this...

If you read the post from the beginning... the host said it was cpu usage, THEN ddos (changed the story over the phone). The solution they proposed was to shut down the VPS for approx one hour, wait for the attack to abate. One hour turned into eleven.. and the MAIN issue was the lack of communication for 7 of those 11 hours.

If I "did something"... why did that "something" not cause the new host to hang? The same sites run brilliantly on the new host (4 months now)

I agree with the observation that VPS is just a more generous version of shared hosting. And you have no way of knowing if your host has overloaded a server with too many vps accounts... it seems this may be the case with hostican, and they choose to blame the client. I could point to threads in webhosting forums, but there is no point anymore.

One bad experience is enough for me...

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread