ABW Ambassador
    Selling A Domain Thru Bido And More Bido Talk
    Have some coming up for sale, need to pick a time and a day. Anybody use Bido to sell and have you found certain times/days better than others for selling?

I think I figured it out. Sorted all the sales by number of bids and a pattern developed. It looks like 1PM - 3PM Eastern is the sweet spot.
    Last edited by Trust; October 22nd, 2009 at 12:06 AM.

Also it is well known that Tuesday and Thursday are highly traffic days
    To gain more exposure definetely Tuesday is the best

ABW Ambassador
    I updated the title of the thread since I put a few of my domains that weren't selling at Sedo up for auction here. And I sold my first one in the past few days. I'm at this point of the process:

User xxxxxxxx, with a high bid of $xxxxx, has won your auction for xxxxxxxx.

Bido will now secure the winner's payment. Once the payment is secured and validated, you will be instructed to transfer the domain to the buyer.

So will let you know how it goes. If anybody has any questions, let me know. First time I've a sold a domain.

Wow! A five-figure high bid. CONGRATULATIONS!
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    No, no, no, I just hit the x on my keyboard and let it go I made more than I paid for the domain but pizza money territory. Nothing big at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    No, no, no, I just hit the x on my keyboard and let it go I made more than I paid for the domain but pizza money territory. Nothing big at all.
    Oops - guess I was just being overly exuberant for you. Pizza money is certainly better than just letting it expire .
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

So will let you know how it goes. If anybody has any questions, let me know. First time I've a sold a domain.
    I would like to know about the actual transfer process and how that goes.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, I've never sold a domain in my life, so this will be something new and I have no idea how to do it. Next step was:

Bido has just confirmed the buyer's payment for xxxxxxxxxxxx. Please go ahead now and transfer the domain to the buyer.

Please log into the Bido website and visit this link to communicate with the buyer:

And was sent a message asking what registrar the domain was with. Replied and told them this was my first time selling domains and just let me know what's next.

Thanks for the info about Tuesdays, early afternoon being a good time.

I have 2 auctions on bido coming up, I'll request Nov 10/09 - that's the earliest slot available.

Will post how it goes.

ABW Ambassador
    Hope it goes well.

So, the person who bought my domain sent me their account # and email address and I logged into Godaddy, hit the transfer domain button and input that and I guess that's it for now. I guess once the transfer goes thru, then I should get paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Hope it goes well.

So, the person who bought my domain sent me their account # and email address and I logged into Godaddy, hit the transfer domain button and input that and I guess that's it for now. I guess once the transfer goes thru, then I should get paid.
    Yes, if the buyer also has a GoDaddy account it sounds like you just "pushed" the domain to them and should be accomplished quickly. A transfer away from GoDaddy to another registrar is usually done within one to five days. The only one I ever had take longer was a transfer OUT of 1&1 - that took several weeks and a LOT of correspondence. Transfers within some registrars, such as eNom and Moniker are usually instantaneous. Once the "escrow" is notified by the buyer that they have the domain, the funds should be released to you. I have no personal experience with Bido, but believe they are pretty quick.

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, I just got an email about an hour that it went thru, went quick since we both had GoDaddy accounts. And I think they'll payout sometime next week. The only thing I need to recheck is they said the payment method would be at their discretion, which is a little odd. I think people should be able to choose how they want to get paid. But I'm out the door and need to reread that later to make sure that's what it said.

So who usually pays the transfer fee if they don't have an account at your registrar?

Quote Originally Posted by ToughTurkey
    So who usually pays the transfer fee if they don't have an account at your registrar?
    If it is a transfer (push) within the same registrar there is no fee. If the transfer is to another registrar, the transfer in fee is paid by the buyer (it is he/she to whom the domain is being transferred). However, that "fee" is equivalent to one year's domain reg fee and extends the period of registration by an additional year. So it really amounts to no "real" cost - just paying "early" for a year of registration.

ABW Ambassador
    And I got paid today thru Paypal. So had a good experience with Bido, this was pretty easy.

update on my experience. Bido was easy enough but no bids came through. So I put it up with a fixed price on Sedo and forgot about it. Yesterday I get an email saying someone has agreed to my fixed price of $499. Happy days.

ABW Ambassador
    Sold a couple of more I wanted to get rid of, nothing major but 4x what I paid for it, so at least I made something. I think Bido might be good for the smaller stuff, they've only had 2 sales over $10,000, Dickinson for $12,000 and debtnews.com for 10,628. If you're looking to buy, might find some good deals here and there.

They have this thing called Voting For Profits that I've been playing around with today - http://www. bido.com/VoteForProfits

I like looking at what people are putting up anyway and once a domain gets 10 votes it goes to auction. So you go thru the list and vote on ones you like and if it goes to auction and sells you get a percentage. It's very small but like I said, I like doing it anyway and any money I make, will just go back into buying domains. Will see how it works out.

With that, most would be way under 1% but let's say a domain sold there for $10,000 and you were the first to vote on it, using 3 votes, you would make $77. I can buy about 7 .com at Godaddy or 100 .info domains. But most would probably be under $1.

ABW Ambassador
    I made 33 cents, I'm on the board. I can buy 1/3 of a .info domain, watch out now.

Bido Shutting Down
    From their site today:
    Bido has ceased operation as of May 5, 2010. All transactions and accounts will be gracefully finalized and closed.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell View Post
    From their site today:
    Yeah, that's a shame. I got that notice in an email the other day. Bido was a nice little tool and I was been able to pick up a couple of nicely targeted niche domains on the cheap.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread