ABW Ambassador
    Afraid To Touch A Page Because It's Ranking Nicely All Of A Sudden Syndrome
    Ever get that? I noticed a page of mine getting all sorts of traffic, Google decided to put it on page 1, number 1 spot. Haven't updated it in a year, now afraid to touch it.

Why would you even think about touching it anyway? Create a new page on a similiar product and try to get that page to the #2 position.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    To update it. It also happens to be a seasonal page for a major seasonal term, so it's ranking nicely but too early so I'm making $0 right now with it. And a new page isn't going to get to #2. I was planning to get that page ready, little freshening up but I think I'll hold off to see if it sticks.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Ever get that? I noticed a page of mine getting all sorts of traffic, Google decided to put it on page 1, number 1 spot. Haven't updated it in a year, now afraid to touch it.
    I change my site so much that I can hardly recognize it at times....

Why would you want to touch it Trust.

#1.

Why try harder.

EDIT! You posted as I was .......

Give it up man ...

Throw some adsense on there ....

Add some affiliate links.

Just don't change the content..

I know you hate adsense, but it's monetization bro!
    Last edited by RemodelingGuy; October 22nd, 2009 at 02:59 PM.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

I've been there too, Trust. Sometimes it helps. Sometimes it hurts. What is bad is that it can rank really well this month, then drop to page 2 or 3 next month when you know it would otherwise convert.

I would try to forecast what % of your total holiday dollars that are expected to come from that site first. If less than 10%, then it wouldn't be worth the time and it is more worth the risk of dropping in the SERPS. If more than 50%, then I would be putting some heavy time into doing what Vinny suggested. If somewhere in the middle and I just might let it ride. Kinda depends on how much more you have on your agenda.

Gonna be a bit stressful either way. Regardless of your choice, you will probably always wonder if you should have picked the other option.

Further proof that paying attention to the search engines can drive you crazy.

I have occasionally suffered from Afraid To Touch A Page Because It's Ranking Nicely All Of A Sudden Syndrome (aka ATTAPBIRNAOASS). Often, if you do update the page, Completely Ruined A Page Ranking (CRAPR) Syndrome follows.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    Further proof that paying attention to the search engines can drive you crazy.

Completely Ruined A Page Ranking (CRAPR) Syndrome follows.

I love it ......

In the CRAPR!

That'll come up again ....

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    Doesn't do any good if it isn't converting. Give it awhile (looks like you are planning on doing that) then follow your plans to update it to have relevant content for the season.

Or, just give Google a call and ask them...I head they are great at returning phone calls.

I figure if I don't update a page often enough it'll eventually drop from the engines. They like fresh content.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    Depends on the page. Some pages are going to get updated a lot. Some pages don't need updating.

Tweak the visuals and add some timely text using javascript, Trust.

I will yell this one "LEAVE IT ALONE TRUST!" LOL Heck you can copy and paste it over to me if you don't like it anymore.

Sometimes, "not doing anything" is the best thing you can do! Know when to stop...it's that 'ol eternal dilemma.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Trust, that was funny. You talking to yourself? post#10?

I would try to keep that page there and try to stop it from fluctating in the SERPs by adding backlinks, keyword backlinks to it. This way you are still not touching the page, initially. Then once it has been stabilized, add in some links to landing pages or sales pages, to convert the traffic.

Yeah I agree, leave it be, hopefully its a Christmas term, so you can cash in

Affiliate Manager Veena krishnappa's Avatar
    Its better not to disturb it right now and check it after few days. My intuition tells me that if u gonna disturb it now it will be like u

For me, I had a page that was doing well at number one, but I was getting nothing out of it. I made some changes which improved the text shown on the SERP listing and the page got even more traffic. However, still not getting much out of it so I continue to play with it.

On thing I have learned is to study it for awhile before deciding to make changes. I had made some assumptions that were wrong and almost made a huge mistake.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

The old saying is if it ain't broke don't fix it-but there is nothing wrong with adding pages to it. As pretty much everyone has said that should in no way affect you adversely.
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread