Use of Images
    Hi all,

This is another item that I am confused about with affiliate marketing. I am thinking about creating a website on either sports jerseys or golf equipment. But when I decide my website, what images can I use? I don't believe I can just grab jersey pictures from someone else's website like NFL.com can I?

How do others get around this?

Thanks!

adammo assuming that you will want to use these images as part of your sites monetization, find merchants that have these products available for sale and join their programs. More than likely the merchant will have these images available along with affiliate tracking code in one form or another, either through the network or one of the available feed aggregaters like GoldenCAN or Popshops.

The way it usually works is that when a user clicks on one of the images or it's description they are taken to either a detailed description of the product on yours or on the merchants site.

If they're taken to the merchant site then a cookie is set that tracks your affiliate ID so that you receive credit for any purchases that the user makes. If they're taken to a detail page on your site, a cookie is set when they click your "Buy Now" button or descriptive link or whatever you decide to use that will get them to the merchant's site.

Now if you're just looking for general images without monetization possibilities (you can actually add your affiliate code in some instances, but that's another discussion), there are several sites that offer public domain images (free) for use as well as sites that sell images (right to use) on a subscription or individual image basis. I've never used any of these so I can't make a recommendation but perhaps another user can point you in the right direction.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    adammo assuming that you will want to use these images as part of your sites monetization, find merchants that have these products available for sale and join their programs. More than likely the merchant will have these images available along with affiliate tracking code in one form or another, either through the network or one of the available feed aggregaters like GoldenCAN or Popshops.

-rematt
    Thanks! Quick question on the quoted part above. I realize that after accepted to a merchant that they would more than likely allow me to use their images. But what about before being accepted to a merchant? I am having a tough time figuring out how to create a website based on jerseys if I can't use images of jerseys. Wouldn't a merchant never accept me?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by adammo
    Thanks! Quick question on the quoted part above. I realize that after accepted to a merchant that they would more than likely allow me to use their images. But what about before being accepted to a merchant? I am having a tough time figuring out how to create a website based on jerseys if I can't use images of jerseys. Wouldn't a merchant never accept me?
    Not necessarily. While images do add a great deal to the visual appeal of a site, good content is what sales. Write good content about your topic, find a few public domain images and you should have no problem getting accepted in various programs. If you are rejected by programs that you feel you can do a good job with, write the AM and explain to them how you plan to market their program. You'll be surprised how effective that can be.

But it's time to stop talking and start doing. Go ahead and jump in, make some mistakes and make some corrections. There's very little that you can do wrong that can't be fixed. Just keep in mind that waiting is not an effective strategy.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Having good quality images available in the product feed is always a big plus for a merchant.

There is a general problem with copyright - all product images are generally copyright someone or other, but if a merchant provides them in their feed then there is an implied licensing arrangement so that you can use them.

rematt is certainly correct about content - good ad copy sells!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Not sure this helps, but when I launched my first site, I had the same problem (and for my niche, photos do matter!).

I used product images from the stores I was targeting for application, and placed the name of the store under the image, with a link. Basically they got free traffic until my application was approved, but for me that was the right decision.

Once your site gets going, it's an easier process to manage as the available photos are in the product links/datafeeds. But you can only use the images provided by the store, unless you pay for a photo subscription elsewhere.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I get asked if its OK to use images from the merchants site and the answer is yes if it used to promote the merchant. Also get an email once a week from an affiliate saying that their site is being created and can they join to get banners and links. The answer is always YES!

I would like to add a question to this topic since it sounds like im in the same spot. I would like to do a site on cars, lets say when the new 2011 honda accord comes out I would like to use a picture of it for an article, can I just take one from Google and use that?

In a perfect world I hope to travel to shows and take my own photos to show my real passion but im in college and that just wont happen yet.

thanks-micah

Google generally shows images from other websites, they do not belong to Google but not too many sites stop them from showing their images. Because they let Google show their images does not mean that others can use those images on their sites without permission. You have to abide by the copyright laws of other sites so if you want to use someone's image you need to request permission to use it and give credit to the owner of that image as part of the permission. (Usually, not always)
    There are sites where you can purchase the rights to use an image (Flickr is just one of them) and there is always CreativeCommons where many images are available for others to use free - for personal use. The key there is that free use stops where commercial use begins for most images.
    Read about the DMCA which protects people's online work from being "borrowed". Using others' images without permission can land you in trouble.

If they're taken to the merchant site then a cookie is set that tracks your affiliate ID so that you receive credit for any purchases that the user makes.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread