Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    How Many Channels Can You Grab?
    So just how many channels can you get these days with an "old school" tv plan? Remember the old days when everyone used to have an antenna outside? I look at my yearly satellite bill and think that spending near $900 a year on tv would be better saved.

I am assuming with the new digital "rabbit ear" setups, you can at least get local channels?

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    They are only just starting to broadcast digitally here. I think we get 2.

I'm cutting my cable next week. I'll start with indoor rabbit ears and if that turns out not to be good enough I'll put an antenna on the roof. I expect to get around 30 channels.

With the money I'll be saving I can afford a really nice antenna.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I would be interested to see how many channels you pickup with an antenna.

I have a good line of sight to the mountaintop where all the Los Angeles area transmitters are, so it should be simple. I used an indoor antenna for a while when they were transmitting digitally and it was pretty good. I don't remember how many channels I got, but there were lots of them.

I'm cutting the TV subscription, and losing the landline phone, and changing my internet access to the phone company DSL. This whole change will save me about $100 a month.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

We gave up paid access TV some months. We use an old TV that requires a converter with rabbit ears. We get 14 channels with only about 9 fit to watch. Remember that one station can broadcast on up to 3 channels, so it's not that many individual stations.

I'm happy because I can get NBC which I had to have Direct TV to get before. I am thinking about getting a new TV so that I can chunk the converter. I think it would be a little better service as the converter is the cheap one from Best Buy. My son got the next one up in price and likes it better.

Digital can be a pain with just the cheap indoor antenna. It is better on some days than others and seems to be effected by weather more than the old analog.

I tried the Wall-mart indoor antenna made for digital and it was no better than the old time rabbit ears. I took it back.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    Go to this site: http://www.titantv.com/ and you should be able to see how many channels are available in your area... (Analog and digital)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    We gave up paid access TV some months. We use an old TV that requires a converter with rabbit ears. We get 14 channels with only about 9 fit to watch. Remember that one station can broadcast on up to 3 channels, so it's not that many individual stations.
    Wrong, they can broadcast up to 5 different channels, I get 5 from two different stations.
    I'm happy because I can get NBC which I had to have Direct TV to get before. I am thinking about getting a new TV so that I can chunk the converter.
    I get all four networks with no problem, I guess it would depend on where you live, and the type of antenna you use.

Getting a new TV is a good idea, that way you would not need the converter box, just make sure that the new TV have a tunner.
    Digital can be a pain with just the cheap indoor antenna. It is better on some days than others and seems to be effected by weather more than the old analog.
    That is true, but with a good decent antenna, you may not experience that many digital glitches.
    I tried the Wall-mart indoor antenna made for digital and it was no better than the old time rabbit ears. I took it back.
    Don't fall for the Digital Antenna BS talk, there are no special Digital Antennas, there are only good antennas and cheap antennas...

Btw, I get 40 channels with just a regular $20.00 Radio Shack indoor antenna.

We dumped our dish several years ago and now just use Netflix and Redbox. We have an antenna and one Digital TV, but we just don't watch it. I think we get a dozen or more crystal-clear English-language stations (plus numerous sub-stations and Spanish-language stations).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Unfortunately, my wife is addicted to AMC/USA/A&E/TLC/... so we are stuck - after this many years it is easier to consider the cable/dish rather than alternatives.

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    indoor or outdoor antenna? would an outdoor antenna with RF booster mounted on it do well now. (don't know if the current technology wipes out old methods or not)

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread