Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Are you noticing AVG alerts from your links??
    Made a search and couldn't find anything but not sure if this would've been mentioned before or not. I just noticed it.

Have any of you noticed when your links are clicked the AVG alert box appearing instead of the intended site? Uhh don't see this as somethin good

Husband actually brought it to my attention when he was lookin at some sites from the one we have together. He asked me why it was doin it and uhh I said I dunno?? He was on IE.

So on mozilla I checked some links. From what I tried, AvantLink and SAS links are not having it happen. Not all but some from CJ and LS are. When I got on aol it wasn't happening at all.

So....any of you noticed this and uhhhh any ideas on what can be done??

ABW Ambassador
    Can you give one merchant that you see it happening and I can check if I'm getting the same. I haven't seen anything from the links I've been clicking today.

Sure, will give ya a couple.
    Dick Blick and Champion - CJ
    Lady Footlocker and Plow&Hearth LS

Had read where somebody said even AVG from CJ was doin it. They suggested the latest version of AVG might be too sensitive to redirects. Does this mean they'll change it....and if so umm quickly?? It's not doin it to all links, so I'm not sure how many it's doin it to.

So, not sure if I should uhh panic yet or not. Definitely don't want any visitors thinkin I'm sending em to uhhh unsavory sites. Admit, I don't know how many people have the avg on their computers either. Hard enough to get the visitors I get lol last thing I wanna do is make em not happy.

ABW Ambassador
    I just tried some of my Dick Blick and Plow & Hearth links and they went thru fine. Not sure I have the newest version of AVG tho. I have the free version and it's version 8.5.423

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    This may be related. My daughter had been playing ToonTown yesterday. She was trying to play again today and said it wouldn't run. Found out that AVG pulled an update last night and something with the update flagged the ToonTown launcher executable as a virus.

Yeap, that's the same version I have. Uhhh now you've got me confused to why it's not happening with yours but is with mine I know I'm not the only one cos I talked with another affiliate and was happening to them, too. hmmm don't know what to think now.

oooh thank you Seymour least I know it's happening to more than just me and the other one. Altho....uhh that doesn't solve my problem tho lol

yea, it says page trying to access identified as a known exploit, phishing or social engineering site so has been blocked for your safetly.

ABW Ambassador
    I'll check again tomorrow, maybe there was an update that's causing it. Not update in the version but the virus definitions update.

Looks like AVG is looking real hard at links as seen in this Oct 12th release about AVG LinkScanner.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I just clicked a Plow & Hearth link and got the big red AVG warning box.

Version 8.5.423
    Virus Database Version 270.14.28/2454
    Release Date Friday Oct 23, 2009 10:09am

pumpkin time and have to get off here now but will read that tomorrow

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    I just clicked a Plow & Hearth link and got the big red AVG warning box.

Version 8.5.423
    Virus Database Version 270.14.28/2454
    Release Date Friday Oct 23, 2009 10:09am
    Alright, I have the exactly as well after I updated my virus definitions. I restarted my computer and now I'm seeing it to. I'm not seeing it with CJ but it's blocking every one of my Linkshare links.

ABW Ambassador
    Ok with CJ, it's blocking some of their domains too. Right now the only one I've found is the one starting with kqz... Can you check to see if you're seeing the same. I'm checking the other CJ tracking domains to see if it's happening with the others.

I tried a bunch of others and just seeing it with the one starting with kqz with CJ and again, everyone of my LS links.

GAN - ok
    SAS - ok
    Linkshare - all blocked
    CJ - the tracking domain starting with kqz blocked
    Amazon - ok
    ebay - ok

That's what I'm seeing to this point, still checking.

And this is what they see:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Trust; October 23rd, 2009 at 11:46 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    Ok, I tried over 60 Linkshare merchants and everything is blocked but did notice something interesting with using different browsers.

IE - everything blocked
    Firefox - everything blocked
    Google Chrome - links are going thru fine for both Linkshare and that one CJ tracking domain but Chrome only has 7% of the market.
    Opera - links are going thru fine

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    So, not sure if I should uhh panic yet or not. Definitely don't want any visitors thinkin I'm sending em to uhhh unsavory sites. Admit, I don't know how many people have the avg on their computers either. Hard enough to get the visitors I get lol last thing I wanna do is make em not happy.
    Oh yeah, this is not good. This is going to reflect badly on all of our sites. And millions have AVG, it's the top download at download.com and the #1 free antivirus.

This is download.com stats for AVG

• Total Downloads: 226,141,111
    • Downloads last week: 1,547,382
    This is going to be a major loss of sales, merchants, affiliates, plus our site visitors thinking we're linking to bad neighborhoods etc.

Don't use AVG, but I noticed they have an aff program at CJ.
    Gee, I wonder if they're blocking their own links?

ABW Ambassador
    I tried to check with my own account but they declined me So I checked out some other sites with AVG links and some are getting blocked, so they're blocking themselves. And CJ has them available as a merchant and they're blocking one of CJ's domains. Good job.

Now what if people start reporting some of this to sites like McAfee SiteAdvisor because they're seeing "detected active threats" warnings when they click our links. Yahoo uses McAfee and puts little red triangles I think on bad sites. And I have AVG on my Google results.

Some of us are going to start getting emails about this from our site visitors.
    Last edited by Trust; October 24th, 2009 at 06:14 AM.

I'm seeing the same thing.

This just shows how important it is for networks not to allow fishy affiliates. I've NEVER seen ShareASale.com links blocked by any software.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Apparently the issue has been resolved, at least for Linkshare (I was never able to duplicate the issue with CJ links). Apparently today's virus definition file (270.14.29/2455) which updated on my system at 5:00 AM corrects the problem. Last night prior to the update none of my Linkshare links worked, now all appear to be working fine.

Since I was never able to duplicate the problem with CJ links, could someone that experienced the issue with CJ try again after updating the definition file and report back here on CJ's status?

Apparently someone brought the issue to AVG's attention. I wonder how much was lost in sales and commissions before the issue was resolved.

-rematt
    Last edited by rematt; October 24th, 2009 at 09:48 AM.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I'm on 270.14.29/2455 and I'm still getting the message.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Interesting, I just rebooted and I'm receiving the error again also. I am putting in support requests to Linkshare, CJ and AVG.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

you guys are going to see a lot of this from all of the security software vendors, because they want to catch up with Norton who has the highest detection rate and even scored 100% detection rate with 1 test.

So all the others feel pressure and are tweaking their settings to make them detect more things even if it gets you a false positive.

ABW Ambassador
    I now have this one:

Virus Database Version 270.14.31/2457
    Release Date Friday Oct 24, 2009 10:31am

And still blocking everything Linkshare. And this is just another reason you have at least one option for affiliates as far as networks. I usually have press people poking around my site this time of the year, I don't need them clicking on those links and getting those messages as well as regular visitors.

Couple of Twitters to contact

http://twitter.com/LinkshareBlog

http://twitter.com/CJnetwork

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Since I was never able to duplicate the problem with CJ links, could someone that experienced the issue with CJ try again after updating the definition file and report back here on CJ's status?
    -rematt
    I'm still seeing it with just that one CJ domain starting with kqzyfj
    Last edited by Trust; October 24th, 2009 at 01:05 PM.

Hiya .. i downloaded this AVG and have that 2457 verison ...

I havent seen any problem yet .. my links are all working ..

Are you using redirects or is this a standard LS link?
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

ABW Ambassador
    I'm just using the standard link. Copy and paste onto my site.

I just went to your site in your profile, to the clothing section and tried Alloy and I'm getting the warning.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast