ABW Ambassador
    AVG Blocking All Linkshare Links? Can Those With AVG Check
    From this thread - http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=125338

For me, I'm seeing all of my Linkshare links being blocked. Can someone with AVG check to see if you're seeing the same.

I have the free version:

Program version 8.5.423
    Virus Database Version 270.14.28/2454

And my LS links started to get blocked once I updated my Virus Database, most probably have it set to update automatically so be sure you have the latest - Virus Database Version 270.14.28/2454

Just in case you don't know how to get there:
    Open AVG up
    Click Help at the very top, then click About AVG and the info will be in the popup.

Not sure if it matters or not but after I got the new update, I cleared my cookies and restarted my computer, then I started seeing the links being blocked.

Just so you know - http://download.cnet.com/windows/

AVG is the number 1 download. So if this doesn't get handled quick, there's going to be a lot of lost sales. I put a screen shot of what people will be seeing in the thread I linked to above.

I'm thinking that LS and CJ are going to get real active in fighting this. They stand to loose big.

After reading the text in the screen shot posted by Trust it would seem that it would almost be a libel case for the networks involved. A "known exploit" is a real stretch.

All the school teachers around here use AVG, but I don't know anyone off hand to test with.

These security utilities are already getting away with murder claiming they are protecting users from evil cookies, and now an innocent redirect.

I can't feel sorry for Linkshare though after the OneCause relationship surfaced. It might be there slick toolbar that made them a target.

I'm seeing the same thing.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Update your virus definition file and try again, apparently the issue has been resolved.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Update your virus definition file and try again, apparently the issue has been resolved.

-rematt
    CORRECTION, the error has continued after a reboot.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Added lil to the other thread but will say here as far as I can tell all my LS links are still bein blocked too (and some of the CJ)

Indirectly from Linkshare
    Writing on Linkshare's UK blog, MD Liane Dietrich said;

"As you may have heard, an update over the weekend to some anti-virus software from a company called AVG is interfering with some LinkShare links between affiliates and advertisers. We assume this was unintentional. We discussed this with executives at AVG this morning, and expect this matter will be resolved soon."

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I just clicked on a few of my LS merchant affiliate links and got the big red warning box for both.

Yup, this is a very real (redundant I know) issue with both AVG and Safer Networking's Spybot Search and Destroy.

For what it's worth, as a 25 year IT veteran with over 500 customers I can thoroughly recommend using both Microsoft's new and FREE antivirus software along with Malwarebytes.org's FREE Spyware buster. You will have a clean machine. And, in addition, if you only use webmail then you have nothing to worry about - as long as you're just a li'l bit educated about how spyware works.

AVG is a lousy program anyway. Remember, as with Walmart, the very very (no redundancy here) high cost of cheap prices!!

Sorry, just practicing the new verbage for my ex AVG page!!!

Thank you Trust for the excellent info..
    Last edited by Aspasa; October 27th, 2009 at 02:12 AM.

From the Linkshare Blog
    Update, 7 PM - We’ve spoken with AVG and the issue appears to be resolved. LinkShare links are working as they normally would on computers with AVG installed.

Mark Kirschner, CMO

Yeap, appears they are ok now The CJ links tho still are havin a problem. Hopefully that will be resolved soon

Wow - so sorry to hear of these problems. This can be devastating to an active PPC campaign.

After reading a thread such as this (and this other long thread) we are so glad the vast majority of our income comes through ShareASale and a couple of older independent programs (where we get to use our own domains). It is also one of the (many) reasons we chose to launch our (soon to be announced) new program through the ShareASale network.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread