Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    When Is a Domain Too Long?
    Is there some unwritten rule that a domain name shouldn't be longer than X characters?

ABW Ambassador
    I think the longest you can have it is 63 characters but the shorter the better.

Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I think the shorter the better really. I always try to keep them under about 15 characters

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    That's going to be a tough one to adhere to given the niche name, but I will rack my brain on this one to be sure to get it right.

Right, but remember the 12 limit is for memorable, easy to type in traffic, and for advertising. An all encompassing name can be a bit longer, but not much (maybe 15). I'd stay away from domain hacks, abbreviations and long words, actions or descriptors work well. A thesaurus can be your best friend

BTW, make the list of alternatives and then go to the registrar - do a bulk register option so you immediately see which are avail, then decide from that list in real time which is your new domain. Then to ensure maximum protection, go to domaintools.com click on the typo generator and register the logical fat fingers and misspellings.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

If you are trying to get a keyword domain that ranks well for a long tail term, then the sky's the limit - 63. (As long as there is a significant volume of monthly searches for that term.)

I think the limit you refer to is more like the the upper limit for people to type without a huge amount of typos. Short and sweet is important for branding, but not as significant for keyword domains.

Do you really care that people can remember (*darkbluelaptopcomputers.com* - OK, not the best example, as the search volume isn't there), or do you just care that it converts when clicked on in the SERPS?

So, it really depends what you are going to do with the domain.

I have concluded that I don't know squat.

The domain name I first picked and registered a few weeks ago had a whopping search volume last month of 170 according to the Google Keyword Tool.

If I try real hard, I could probably pick a keyword phrase that has even less search volume.

Now, I come up with a phrase, check the search volume and then try to find a domain name that isn't already taken.

..domain not available
    ..domain not available
    ..domain not available

I have done it again. I am trying to squeeze myself into an already over-saturated niche. It feels like another "coupon" site all over again.

That is a little low. But, you could get others to link to you or do AdWords, etc.

For the domains that were already taken...don't just stop there. Are they well developed, or just parked? I have a domain that the .com belongs to a site over in China (written in Chinese also.) It is a two word product domain. One that USA customers search for to buy this particular item. The .com Chinese domain did them no good in this regard. Registered the .net and my site is top 5 (page 1) right now in the big 3 SEs. Has been #1 at times too.

Don't give up. If you want to let me know what you are up to in a PM...go ahead and send me one. I'd be happy to try to help. Even if it is just trying to scout a few domain name combos for you.

It's about 60/40 on ones that are developed and ones that parked.

Is this for the site that I saw Seymour?
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I now have a list of 16 possible domain names that are all .com available. I think I am now over-whelmed with options.

the mixing of tenses, singular and plurals and the way the words flow in the domain have a big impact on how memorable it will be. short and sweet is the way i like my domains. we did sell professionalathletes.com for a decent return though and it is over 20 characters. if a name is that targeted, then the it is more acceptable than a 4 word domain imo.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread