Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Interesting article from the Seattle PI.
    180Solutions

CDC

ABW Ambassador
    It is shocking. There is a quote that LinkShare endorses 180Solutions' practices and n-case.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Sawicki said the company has the endorsement of large affiliate networks such as LinkShare and ValueClick, who handle the distribution of affiliate revenues. Furthermore, he said, hijacking the revenue is "a technically impossible thing." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Linkshare and Valueclick can kiss my behind for supporting these people who are menances to consumers and are allowed to openly steal our commissions from our own work that we do in good faith for merchants and the networks they operate under. This is how we are rewarded for our efforts?

It makes me want to

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    I heard a rumor in a local trade newsletter that ValueClick was at the 180 funding celebration party.

Well the GOOD NEWS is that the reporter came back and did this 2nd article addressing some of the parasite issues to balance the 1st article which was too pro-180 and left out comments from people like Chris WSO and others.

So at least in this article Ms. B, Chris and Linda Woods got to tell the other side of the story and inform the public about the issues.

I give kudos to the Reporter for publishing this side of the story and starting the article with "Thieves. Hijackers. Online devils."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> 180solutions denies that it uses the drive-by-download technique. But one person with knowledge of the internal workings of the company said the practice was widely used last year.

The person, who asked not to be identified, also said the company made the uninstall process intentionally difficult for consumers. A former employee who did not want to be identified confirmed the information.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Sounds like a real ethical, upstanding bunch of people, doesn't it?

Andy

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Furthermore, he said, hijacking the revenue is "a technically impossible thing." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

His claim about the networks *may* be true, but I wouldn't take that guy's word for it when he's spewing such obvious BS nonsense as that in the quote above and the part Andy quoted!

But I did read an encouraging line in the article. What's that "Spyware Control Act" Utah passed? Does it have any teeth?
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

And, the reason everyone here isn't supporting and putting up SAS links like mad is........?????

Oh, come on! Even I can make money at SAS. Wat'sa matta you?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I agree Linda.
    I was happy to see that there were "horror stories" from people who got infected with 180 and information about adaware to get rid of it.

CDC

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    How in the Hell can BeFree/CJ/Valueclick possibly endorse,automate,monitize 180Solutions? Heck they booted Gator and WhenU from their DUPER merchant ranks as a PR move to their affiliates. 180Solution is a equal or worse player in this threesome of cyberthieves.

Shame of Stephen Messer and Linkshare showhorning on the sly 180Solutions into his pool of hidden BHO commission sharks. Thought he was bragging his addendium had more teeth and enforcement then the other network's CoC agreement. Evidently none of the CEO's or their legal departments have bothered tring to remove a n-Case drive-by or bundled install infesting 31 million shoppers systems.

None of those shoppers can easily remove the bugger, and the other bundled spyware, let alone agree as to how they even got this piece of crap on their systems. Hell at least eBates and the "incent" BHO perps offer a points/rewards/coupon interface for their users who finally figure out how they got infested.

I got a feeling the networks are feeding their entire group of duped/stupid/deceived domain bound affiliates into a Saddam people shredder. The BHO and cookie stuffers make cannon fodder, with the blessing of 600 major merchant AM's to lazy to do more then allow cookie traps, of all value-add affiliates. Damn shame that greed trumps ethics in this industry all the time.

Link for the UTAH adware/spyware law

Check it out!

http://www.le.state.ut.us/~2004/bill...enr/hb0323.htm

Both 1800Contacts and Overstock were active in getting this legislation passed. Even though it's only in Utah, I've forwarded the language to our lawyers and asked that it be incorporated into our Terms and Conditions.

http://abw.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tp...3423#365103423
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> And, the reason everyone here isn't supporting and putting up SAS links like mad is........????? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, that's simple: The lousy CR!

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Mike, since when did they boot Whenu? I have gotten calls from CJ just a few months ago asking me to accept them and I would not. I have not heard they got booted.

ABW Ambassador
    Let's not forget merchants like Overstock who coddle them if they promise to behave as far as their program is concerned.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    My guess is tha Stephen let 180 in and endorses them and their drive-bys because then they can get them to sign their agreement, and yada yada.....

By the way, I don't promote SAS merchants because I never heard of any of them. How can I encourage people to buy from places I myself wouldn't?

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Linkshare has let 180 onto their network?

Could this explain why my netmagazines.com sales fell into a blackhole last month?

Feb: 11 sales
    Mar: 4 sales on TWICE the clickthrough traffic.

Possibly not a high enough number to be statistically relevant - anyone else notice a downward pattern?

What the hell are you guys moaning at?
    Can you not read?
    Do you not believe these honest upstanding people at 180solutions that many have invested their life savings in?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Furthermore, he said, hijacking the revenue is "a technically impossible thing." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>What a load of F'ing bull-shoot.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Furthermore, he said, hijacking the revenue is "a technically impossible thing." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    He's probably right, Gordon. Unless 1-800 has employees out stealing commission checks from our mailboxes, I guess they aren't actually hijacking revenue. The mechanism that generates revenue, now that's a different story.

If Congress actually does something about this, they need to hold everyone involved in bundling scumware responsible. Right up the entire scum-chain from the programmer that bundles it to the networks that promote it and everyone in between. Everyone that profits from it. And they need to make everyone in the scum-chain pay big.

Wayne

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Catalyst:
    I heard a rumor in a local trade newsletter that ValueClick was at the 180 funding celebration party.

"Thieves. Hijackers. Online devils." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Follow the money - that's how they got Al Capone.

Sad that this kid who wanted to be a preacher just went to the devil. Get a clue kiddo, WWJD? - stealing is stealing no matter how you sugarcoat it. If I was his parent I would be so ashamed.
    Ebudae

This is a great quote that usually comes from people that send spam, We are sponsoring content and making the Internet free. Does this imply that we would pay more to use the internet if n-Case did not exist?
    --
    Blaine

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Several Bumper stickers in 180Solutions parking lot..... "Remove at your own Risk", "Like Death & Taxes we're everywhere", ""Touch our Ad ...Your Dead", "Rewards & Points are for Whimps", Keep the Internet FREE...Pay Me!". Add in some more till we get a winner.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

what needs to be done is have someone draft up a letter(not me my letters suck) explaining in laymans terms what this spyware does and how a user gets it(unwillingly most of the time) and attach a copy of the utah law and send it to your congressman. I know if i had 10 minutes to explian this with senator chuck schumer new york would be adopting the same law. He is very anti identity theft so this is in his ballpark too.

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The Federal Trade Commission plans to hold a public workshop on the issue this month. The commission hopes to define what adware and spyware are and how they operate. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    What I would like to know is how can we find out more about the FTC looking into the issue so we can individually and/or as a group offer our input to the FTC.

You can bet WhenU, Ebates and other such companies will be offering their input to the FTC, I think it is really important that affiliates get heard as well.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

ABW Ambassador
    I cannot stress this enough, WRITE LETTERS TO THE FTC. FILE COMPLAINTS ONLINE.

So far because of my activities, i have actually been sent a check for $49 as part of one settlement and just yesterday I got an email asking me to call the ftc directly to discuss mailwiper and their activities.

So write letters. Write letters to your attorney general, to your congressmen, senator, Governor, ftc, sec, anyone who can somehow help.

I just suggest, relax before your write it, research your points, show examples. Then sit on it for a few days, review it to make sure you aren't getting emotional or stretching things, then send it. Send snail mail if you can it is the most responsive. You can also call.

Say what you want about Kucinich, but he knew enough to vote no for the can-spam law. When your representative does that, reward them, send them an email or snail mail letter of thanks for understanding the issue.

And don't think no one cares what you have to say, they do, and they want to hear it.

Chet

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What I would like to know is how can we find out more about the FTC looking into the issue so we can individually and/or as a group offer our input to the FTC. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/workshops/spyware/index.htm

It is one April 19th in DC. There is a place on the link above to submit public comments.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Sawicki said the company has the endorsement of large affiliate networks such as LinkShare and ValueClick, who handle the distribution of affiliate revenues. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Technically true since they continue to be allowed to operate in those Networks. They are considered "compliant" with the n-case software, which I suppose could be considered an endorsement. It certainly can when certain Networks or their representatives actually promote 180 to their merchants.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Well the GOOD NEWS is that the reporter came back and did this 2nd article addressing some of the parasite issues to balance the 1st article which was too pro-180 and left out comments from people like Chris WSO and others.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AGREED! At least he did the 2nd article. Any news article (unless it is an editorial) will always have both POV for the most part. They can definitely be slanted one way or the other. This one seems more slanted for affiliates than the first, that is for sure!

And yes, we did get to tell our side of the story a bit more. I'm amazed at his journalistic skills of being to weed out 2 quotes from me considering it was an hour plus phone conversation. Anyone who has talked to me on the phone knows what I mean.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How in the Hell can BeFree/CJ/Valueclick possibly endorse,automate,monitize 180Solutions? Heck they booted Gator and WhenU from their DUPER merchant ranks as a PR move to their affiliates. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BF booted Gator's own affiliate program, but not Ebates. WhenU was booted as an affiliate themselves only by LS.

No one has booted 180, except for individual merchants. Oops...so sorry Brian. Brian does not allow them into SAS.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Linkshare has let 180 onto their network?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Drewbert...they've BEEN in LS's network.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Could this explain why my netmagazines.com sales fell into a blackhole last month? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again, they have been in LS's network far longer than last month. And while LS may let them in, I can say most DEFINITELY that WSO does not! Now 180 could possibly be popping up other mag sites on netmagazine (or even your site for that matter), but I doubt very seriously you will see a 180 aff id for netmagazines in one of their pops.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Furthermore, he said, hijacking the revenue is "a technically impossible thing." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Notice he addressed the 'hijacking' terminology and not the 'thieves.' Semantically, he might be correct. But you can divert revenue, which is what I call it and how I labeled it to John Cook. And you can most definitely hijack the browser which leads to the diversion of revenue. Or something like that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> This is a great quote that usually comes from people that send spam, We are sponsoring content and making the Internet free. Does this imply that we would pay more to use the internet if n-Case did not exist?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Such altruistic motivations. They are paying 2 to 3 whole cents a download to keep those P2P programs free. But they real people who are paying the true $$$ are the other affs and merchants who didn't sign up to necessarily keep the Internet free.

ABW Ambassador
    BLFH, don't go.

It's nice to have someone on board who knows about these issues and post about them so it's easy to understand.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> They are paying 2 to 3 whole cents a download to keep those P2P programs free. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw that! It's quite a drop from when I checked around last year (I don't know about 180 in particular, but there were places offering 50c then)!

I'd normally say it dropped because the value of a download to someone who ends up running to AdAware in 2 seconds isn't that great...but in all likelihood it's just because they realized that some suckers will accept 2-3c.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast