Raw Access Logs?
    What does eBay mean by raw access logs?

Last week they suspended my account pending quality review and asked for my raw access logs. I sent the logs .... took 3 emails to attach all of them. They wrote back saying the access logs I sent shows only 8 hours of traffic and none to ebay! Each log was for 3 weeks -- a lot more than 8 hours.

But in the spirit of cooperation, I downloaded the files again and checked to make sure they weren't corrupt ... sent them to ebay again. These were massive files. That was yesterday. This morning I got the same reply back from them.

So ... my question is what exactly is ebay looking for? I have nothing to hide and will allow them root access if they'd like to see everything on my server. What can I do to please these people? What is their definition of a raw access log???

Lin

ABW Ambassador
    They are suspecting foul play. They want to verify how you are sending traffic to ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by sam_park
    They are suspecting foul play. They want to verify how you are sending traffic to ebay.
    Yes, I understand that. I sent them all of my raw access logs. However, they say the logs I sent are not what they're looking for.

My question is ... what other kind of logs can I send to prove my traffic is legit? What do they mean by "raw access logs"?

Banned
    to update ... I sent the raw access logs the 2nd time and followed up with a nice letter explaining how I am getting/sending traffic to ebay. I received a reply that since I hadn't sent the required information I was effectively banned from the epn and would lose my commissions. They said I could appeal the decision by sending the required information.

It looks like I will lose almost $1000 because they don't know how to read the log files? I even excerpted portions of the logfile to show how traffic was going from my site to theirs ... they didn't even acknowledge it.

Today I appealed the decision and resent the log files, again explaining how I am sending traffic to their site.

I know some of you have been reinstated ... will you please share any information on how you achieved this? Is there an number I can call?

Any help appreciated!

Lin

Maybe they want the .gz versions?

I sent the .gz versions twice. They didn't accept those and asked for "raw" access logs. I tried to send the unzipped files but they were too large. I have just sent the .zip files, appealing the ban.

So ... no, it wasn't that. It is very confusing!

Lin

lsvf,

Keep us updated - I am also waiting on EPN's response regarding logs.

What type of hosting are you using, and what procedure did you use to obtain logs?

In cpanel I always set the Raw Access Log feature to "Archive Logs in your home directory at the end of each stats run [ [every 1 day(s)]]". This is just good practice because you never know when you might need to look at your log files.

When eBay sent me the 'suspension pending quality review' message and requested them, I downloaded the log files and forwarded them just as they were in the .gz format. But, according to them, I had not sent the correct files.

I then asked my webhosting provider to send me the "raw access" logs. They were very gracious and ftp'd me the logs for each site. They files they sent to me were the same "raw access logs" I had downloaded and sent to eBay that eBay says are not the correct log files. Amazing.

Quite frankly if they didn't owe me money I would just go my merry way ... but I need those funds!

I do have proof of traffic to their site and I did have enough sense to download the data from the epn site showing the commissions owed. I will pursue it as far as I can.

So ... if you aren't archiving your server logs start doing so. And download all of your reports on eBay. One never knows when the ax will fall.

I even excerpted portions of the logfile to show how traffic was going from my site to theirs ...
    Now call me crazy maybe, and keep in mind most of my sites are Windoze based.... but I have never seen my raw log files show how visitors leave my site. Shows how thay get there and what they do while they're there.... but nothing to do with leaving.

Am I nutzo here?

complete shot in the dark ... but is there a chance that your downloading each day's log file has clobbered the previous days data? I'd try to pull up one of the files in a program like WordPad (unlimited length) and look for some dates/times to show you what was on file

I'm not familiar with windows server logs ... just linux. My logs do show when someone accesses the script on my site that sends them to ebay, along with the auction they clicked through to. That's what is so confusing about the eBay response. They can't even see the links.

Quote Originally Posted by micheck
    complete shot in the dark ... but is there a chance that your downloading each day's log file has clobbered the previous days data? I'd try to pull up one of the files in a program like WordPad (unlimited length) and look for some dates/times to show you what was on file
    No ... the server logs are for a month at a time. When the month ends a new report is started. I did open up the files ... all the info is there as plain as day. The only conclusion I can come to is that they are just not looking at the logs.

Could you post an example line from one of the logs (of course obfuscating site URL, etc.)?

It wouldn't help you as I use a proprietary script. Each click to an ebay auction goes through the script and shows up in the logfile as script-name.php and is encrypted. When you copy and paste the encrypted link into your browser's address bar it will take you right to the auction listing. I had to point that out to the ebay watchdogs. As yet they have not responded to that enlightenment.

What sort of program are you using to send traffic to eBay? I do not know how a regular click to the ebay site would show up in the logfile but I'll give it a go if you'll provide a little info.

Lin

You may be misunderstanding what eBay wants to see. They are looking for the raw server logs of traffic to your domains. If you run Apache on your server, here's what the server log should look like:

"127.0.0.1 - frank [10/Oct/2000:13:55:36 -0700] "GET /apache_pb.gif HTTP/1.0" 200 2326 "http://www.example.com/start.html" "Mozilla/4.08 [en] (Win98; I ;Nav)" "

Hope this helps.

By the way, how long has eBay been taking to get back to you?

Yep, that's exactly what I sent to them. Thank you for confirming that I am not crazy or something! If you and I know what a server log looks like ... why don't they????

It took 6 days to go from "suspension pending review" to "terminated for insufficient information to clear my case."

I appealed on the 27th of this month. I have heard nothing since.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread