Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Hello,

Sorry for the repost but, I started a topic here:

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=4526049771

And I just heard back from the merchant and you are NEVER going to believe this at all!!!!!!!

The merchant writes back that they are charging ME to offset their credit card processing costs! Here is a cut and paste!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but it took me a while to talk to the person I had to talk to here.

I spoke with the person that set up our affiliate program about your problem and it looks like the issue is that we deduct around 2% of the price of the item because of the credit card fees that we get charged every time we process a credit card on an order.

I''m very sorry for the confusion! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Michael Ring
    Online Marketing Coordinator
    Things From Another World
    http://www.tfaw.com/

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ok, now this is outrageous! I am supposed to get 7% of the total sales price as a commission! There is no mention anywhere that they are charging ME for procesing their credit cards!

PLEASE, I really need to hear your comments about this, and especially from you Todd!

Well that will be a merchant on the deactivated list soon.

Im sorry, Im really in shock over this!

I want my money and Ill bet a lot of other affiliates are owed money as well!

Not to mention CJ must be losing too.

ABW Ambassador
    Send them a bill for your PPC clicks.

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

Hello Papasan,

We just read your post. This sounds like a little bit of deceptiveness going on.

If your vendor at http://www.tfaw.com/ is indeed selling these items at a certain cost and you are receiving reports of lesser cost on your sales logs, did you confirm the customer did in fact get charged the higher pricing?

We ourselves did not check out http://www.tfaw.com/ service in this response, but was inquisitive about this posting.

Some customers select wrong items, etc. and this could be the culprit.

In response to the chargeback of 2% on credit card processing fee. Did you read the full outline of the vendors affiliate rules discussing the structure of credit card transactions and any/all product purchases and possible cost to you upon your commission?

If this vendor is using deviate methods to rob you of sales commissions based on all said facts you wrote, we would terminate our affiliation immediately upon discovered elements as you stated.

If they will do this to you, what exactly are they doing to your valued customers. You want your customers to believe your trustworthy and respect your product list.

If http://www.tfaw.com/
    is using these "deviate methods", we strongly urge you to remove them from your listing immediately for the sake of your customers, let alone yourself.

DesignerWiz
    http://DesignerWiz.com

quote:
    Originally posted by DesignerWiz:
    Hello Papasan,

We just read your post. This sounds like a little bit of deceptiveness going on.

If your vendor at http://www.tfaw.com/ is indeed selling these items at a certain cost and you are receiving reports of lesser cost on your sales logs, did you confirm the customer did in fact get charged the higher pricing?

We ourselves did not check out http://www.tfaw.com/ service in this response, but was inquisitive about this posting.

Some customers select wrong items, etc. and this could be the culprit.

In response to the chargeback of 2% on credit card processing fee. Did you read the full outline of the vendors affiliate rules discussing the structure of credit card transactions and any/all product purchases and possible cost to you upon your commission?

If this vendor is using deviate methods to rob you of sales commissions based on all said facts you wrote, we would terminate our affiliation immediately upon discovered elements as you stated.

If they will do this to you, what exactly are they doing to your valued customers. You want your customers to believe your trustworthy and respect your product list.

If http://www.tfaw.com/
    is using these "deviate methods", we strongly urge you to remove them from your listing immediately for the sake of your customers, let alone yourself.

DesignerWiz

Im glad you brought that up, yes, i checked the terms and also screen shotted them in case they decided to change the terms, which they arent allowed to do without notification as far as I know.

We are definitely removing them as of today!!

No, these transactions ARE for the items listed AND also, it is very obvious because one particular video that we sell happens to be $3.95 but we are only paid on a sale of $3,85 so there is no mistaking that as you know, there arent very many , if any, videos selling for that amount.

My point is this, IF they dont want to pay 7%, they should reduce their commissions to say 5%!!

Either way, if the owner supposedly wasnt aware of this, I am surprised. Sounds to me like they were shaving and got caught and are now trying to make excuses!

Dump 'em!

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

here it is:
    http://www.tfaw.com/help/affiliates.html

and also, from cj, it says this:

Things From Another World
    http://www.tfaw.com/
    Category: Toys (Show similiar advertisers)

TFAW.com is the online store for the Things From Another World retail chain, with 6 locations at Universal Citywalk, the Sony Metreon in San Francisco, and Portland, Oregon. Our banners, text links, and extensive product links can earn money for you! Send your customers to our site and every completed sale earns you commissions. At TFAW.com, we offer a commission of 7% on every sale you drive to our site. As long as they have linked from your page through CJ to TFAW.com, you get the credit and the cash! We offer thousands of top rate products - movies, comics, toys, and collectibles - that are sure to please even your most discriminating visitors. Join now and see how Things From Another World can soon become your best performing advertiser. You won't be disappointed - don't miss this opportunity to earn $$$$! Partner with us today and get the performance you deserve. With Things From Another World, you'll gain the advantage your Affiliate marketing program deserves.

Your affiliation status: Joined

Commission Rates
    Action Commission
    Sale
    7.0%

Performance Incentives
    Action Incentive Type Reward Tier Period Status
    Threshold Reward
    Sale Total Sales ≥ $500.00 30.00% 2002-12-01 - 2003-01-01 Live

Cookie Duration: 45 days
    Batch Process Transactions: No

Things From Another World Network Performance
    Network Earnings
    3 month EPC $0.73 (view trend)
    7 day EPC $1.05
    Charge-back percent 14.80% (view trend)
    Note: Charge-back is a calculation of the total dollar amount reversed by an advertiser. It is calculated in the same time period as the 3 Month EPC and is reflected in that calculation.

Earn 7% commission on ALL sales you generate!

Things From Another World has partnered with Commission Junction to offer webmasters an exciting opportunity to join our business as an affiliate. We're operating on a model similar to Amazon.com; link to us and if someone comes to our website through you and makes a purchase, you will receive a 7% commission on the sale!

Sound Too Good To Be True?

Literally thousands of websites are involved with affiliate programs of one sort of another, selling products and services. What do they have in common with each other? They're all generating revenue for themselves. It does sound too good to be true, doesn't it? But it's not! It's a win-win situation. If you link to Things From Another World and our products, you're sending us potential customers. If those customers make a purchase, it's worth it to us to give you a commission on that sale. You send us the customers, they buy our products, you get paid. Simple, easy and beneficial to us both!

Why Join?

We're in a unique position because we're giving you many different items to place on your page. Not only do we carry the widest selection of Dark Horse comics anywhere, we also have a huge selection of videos and DVDs, action figures, toys, tee shirts, models, statues and more! And we've offer a wide array of subjects and genres. We offer merchandise from licensed properties such as Star Wars, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the X-Files, Aliens, Predator (to name a few), and thousands of other products ranging from the works of Masamune Shirow to Sailor Moon to Sin City, Madman and Grendel. We invite you to check out our site and search for whatever it is that you'd be interested in promoting. Odds are that it'll be in our inventory!

How It Works

With TFAW.com, your site visitors will find incredible deals on thousands of comics, movies, DVD's, toys and more. Join today and you'll earn 7% of every purchase sent our way.

TFAW.com's affiliate program gives you all the tools you'll need to drive traffic and earn money!

Web-based software for real-time reporting of your earnings
    Access to lots of slick banners and buttons to place on your site
    Referral checks sent to you each month
    Everything is FREE when you sign up!

If you are not currently a Commission Junction member, please use this link to sign up as a CJ Publisher and our affiliate program in one fell swoop:

If you're already a Commission Junction Publisher:

Visit the Commission Junction website.
    Sign up to join the Commission Junction program as a Publisher (if you haven't already).
    When you sign into your account page, click on the "Get Links" tab at the top of the page.
    Type Things From Another World in the search box and select our link when the results appear on the page.
    Follow the instructions that Commission Junction provides you for finding banner ads or specific products and links!

Linking to TFAW

There are several ways to link to TFAW, depending on your site, it's content, layout, and your preferences. The instructions for configuring each of these link types is located in Commission Junction's "Get Links" section. Commission Junction offers a very easy and configurable method for displaying text links, banner ads or even specific products!

Please log on to your Commission Junction account for more details!

What's next?

Once your site has been approved and you place the HTML code on your pages, Commission Junction takes care of the rest! Commission Junction records entry to the TFAW store through your link when the user clicks on your text or graphical link. If the user purchases products, Commission Junction will record the date, time, and amount of the transaction automatically. Upon approval and shipment, the commission amount will be credited to your account. Commission Junction will mail you a check every month ($25 minimum payout) and you'll have real-time access to all impression, clickthrough, and customer sale information.

Joining our affiliate program is quick and easy. Sign up today! The sooner you sign up, the sooner you'll get paid!

Hello Papasan,

With this said and reading your statements. We truly believe you are absolutely correct in your assumption of the vendor "shaving" the affiliate commission and sales percentage by reading the contract advertising statement. It does clearly state a full 7% of all valid sales.

We ourselves would clearly dis-continue the relationship and do exactly as you are doing here to warn other affiliates of their blatant "dupeness" practices.

Good luck.

DesignerWiz

BTW: With this particular product line we find Charge-back percent 14.80% (view trend) as being a bit high for our consideration of selling their products.

DesignerWiz

I want to know what CJ says about this as well as what they are going to do about it.

I say ALL affiliates must be notified and reimbursed out of TFAW's escrow account immediately and with INTEREST!

ABW Ambassador
    I have no problem with a merchant doing this.

As long as it is stated in the affiliate agreement, up front, before joining. Which from what I can see is not the case.

I wonder if they try to get away with paying their 2% credit card merchant fees based on sales - (sales * .07) to offset affiliate fees paid? I'm sure the cc company would let them get away with that!

--
    ...only in the affiliates interest...
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

You may also like to know that I contacted CJ about this about a week ago and they told me to contact the merchant.

Hello Papasan,

If you read the contract clause at most affiliate tracker services they all usually state any/all disputes of sales commission factors are the responsability of the vendor and the re-seller affiliate to correct.

The affiliate tracker service is there for 1 purpose and only 1 purpose, to make their very own profit. That is exactly why most tracker services are not united in disolving parasite-ware uses as it does not result in any profit loss to them in any regard. A sale is a sale .. period.

We ourselves operate an affiliate re-seller service. Although on a much smaller scale than most services due to our highly selectiveness criteria in targeted audiences and re-seller coordination to equal well balanced set up and effectiveness. If we hear of deceptiveness in any regards what so ever, we immediately request a resolution from all parties concerned to our satisfaction .. not the vendors, or we immediately terminate the product promotion.

DesignerWiz

Damn, Im madder than I dont know what!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

I sent these idiots a scathing e-mail and dropped them when I first read your post. Not that it cost me anything. Their site just didn't go that well with mine, so I never really put their stuff up.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

All I can say about this is "WOW". I've never heard anything so ridiculous. And I was actually thinking about promoting TFAW products on one of my sites!

"All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then Success is sure."
    - M. Twain

Sometimes bad business decisions are just downright silly.

Basically, if they are taking 2% off of every sale, what they end up doing is paying a commission of 6.86% instead of 7%. The money they're saving is pretty miniscule in the grand scheme of things, yet they think it justifies damaging business relationships with who knows how many partners.

Silly.

- Ed

"It's my hope that you'll come to appreciate the past should not be forgotten. It should be cherished, and run late-night, in syndication, after the local news." (Orange County)

quote:
    Originally posted by papasan:
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

I could have sworn that some sales converted at the 7%, can't check it now though with CJ down, or maybe it's a new development. Regardless, the 7% was one of the reasons I started using them for a variety of different things - if it's really only effectively 5% (forgetting the deception angle) then I may as well switch them out to Amazon and increase the potential for moving up tiers there. Edit: Of course the previous reply is correct at it being 6.86% if that is how it's being deducted, it sounded like papasan was talking about a larger number though, papasan?

I'll be interested to hear what further feedback you get from either TFAW, or especially CJ, since TFAW uses the usual CJ boilerplate "insert your text here" with 7% spelled out clearly without any astericks or other qualifications.

[This message was edited by ShoreMark on December 07, 2002 at 08:38 PM.]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Glad I don't promote THAT!

That's one of the most blatantly admitted frauds I've heard of in a long time. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

I guess the "thing" that's from another world at that place, is their idea of what "7%" means! Crooks!

That place would definitely qualify for an unscheduled link removal from my sites!

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Papasan,

It might be more effective to call CJ over this issue. I've always much faster results with a phone call. Since what you posted from their merchant summary that transactions are not batched, it would seem something fishy is going on with the reporting to CJ. This sales amount should be being pasted directly from the sales reciept page of checkout, which should show the actual sales price, not their modified price. Which means CJ is getting cheated also.

And that has got to be the most assine reasoning I've heard in a long time. Most purchases online are made by credit card. That is a fixed cost of doing business. They also know how much in fees they will having to be paying to affiliates and CJ in running their affiliate program. When setting up your program you factor in those expenses when crunching the numbers to decide what % you can offer your affiliates and still make a profit. He might as well have said they are deducting a certain % to defray the costs of their electricity bill. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

As I mentioned before, I called CJ several times last week. I spoke with Ed.

Im pissed.

I KNOW they are lying. It took them almost a week of let me check into it to give me an answer. And like someone else asid, they didnt USED to do that.

This is clearly fabricated on their behalf and IF Cj does not demand an audit and immediate retroactive repayment to ALL affiliates, theres gonna be trouble. Im already getting a list of their affiliates together right now and notifying them!

Thank goodness I have legal insurance. Im definitely going to go after someone here.

This is FRAUD

ABW Ambassador
    Let me ask you all something... do you expect commission on shipping fees? Just out of curiousity. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

--
    ...only in the affiliates interest...
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

this is for the sale amounts on products.

i mentioned this and exactly how it is happening.

you may be foregetting that they claim (a week after my first inquiry) that they are deducting 2% of MY commission to pay their credit card processing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast