Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Caught my first virus today on my home PC... the bugger installed from my web based Email...

It showed up as a bounced email from ABW believe it or not, so someone else here already has it . I wondered what email I had sent to ABW that had bounced and boom, I saw the files install real fast, no option to stop them and then it was clean up time... yeuch

The virus is

W32.Netsky.P@mm

You can see it in your Task Manager as

fvprotect.exe

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Chris, sorry, I know viruses can be a real pain. What was the subject line so we can be aware?

http and a telephoto
    How can it install from WebBased email?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    I get virii in the mail almost everyday. I use outlook and have the preview pane open. I don't download the attachment, but can I still get them? It's deletedo.txt. It's a pain because they mask the e-mail. I think one of them even looked like it came from myself.
    I forgot what I was doing.

I now recommend the following for anyone on broadband

a) sit behind a combined adsl modem/router/firewall

b) install Norton or similar

c) have a personal firewall

and if you want to be paranoid
    use something like Mailwasher or similar anti-spam tool to preview emails so they never get as far as an in box.

Depressing that one has to resort to this but better to be safe than sorry.

Oh and if you get wireless as well with the router/firewall change the network name from the default and don't broadcast it.

Hope you have now sorted out your PC Chris.

Les

yea it was an easy one to remove thankfull

I usually use my email software to check mail, but at home I use webmail, must have been set in the HTML to activate. My email is Text based so stops viruses embedded like this and also has a pre-download kill option and built in filters (The Bat)

The Subject was, as best I remember

"You email haiko@abestweb.com has bounced"

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> b) install Norton or similar
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry..

but why would anyone want to install or support a software program that prevents affiliate links from working ??

Cow Patch...

PS.. no offense intended

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cow Patch:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> b) install Norton or similar
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry..

but why would anyone want to install or support a software program that prevents affiliate links from working ??
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Cow Patch,

I just login to say Thank You.

I agree 100% with your reply, I was going to said it before you did but, decided to ignore that recommendation about no-r-ton.

I will never use or recommend a company that is responsible for the lost of my possible income.

Sal.

I use AVG, it's free for home use.

Or rather I do now, up till the other day I used none... lack of trust on my part.... companies that make money from blocking viruses... hmmmmm

Chris,

I guess you are not a virgin anymore, huh!?!? LOL!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How can it install from WebBased email?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it can if the email contains scripts and if you don't have an anti-virus software that checks that (I think that Norton doesn't check web mail). I use Avast Professional Anti Virus which is better than Norton in too many ways to listed here. I used to have Norton installed, but I don't even think of it anymore.
    Alex
    AlexBet.com - Professional Website Design, Website Development, Mobile App Development!

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"
    Benjamin Franklin

If you're looking for high quality virus protection check out PC-Cillin from Trend Micro.

During the last couple of months they have beating Norton to the punch releasing virus definition updates almost 24 hours ahead of Norton.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Easier, safer, more reliable option than all this ambulance at the bottom of the cliff stuff.

Buy a Mac.

Ahh.. the lesson here is to keep all your security patches up to date with Windows update - the hole in Internet Explorer that Netsky.P uses is about 3 years old!

Dynamoo's holy trinity of security - firewall, patch and anti-virus.

As for anti-virus, I use Panda and it works OK. But viruses can spread from nothing to widespread in a couple of hours before virus updates are released. A decent firewall like ZoneAlarm with strip off a lot of viruses before they even get on your system. Up-to-date security patches will stop nasties installing automatically.

But.. the best defence in computer security is to be cynical - never trust things like password protected ZIP files, emailed games, Office documents you're not expecting etc etc. If you're unsure about something - email the sender back and ask them.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

glad to see it was an easy one to get rid of. I use AVG also and i include a link to it on my resourses page. customers need to keep puters protected from viruses and if we can help we should. although the new xp service pack will help here is the linkpc world magazine
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Signature based virus scanners are always playing catch up with the virus writers, and tend to lag behind by up to a day. However, a virus or worm can go from nothing to a global epidemic in less than an hour.

There's good evidence that virus writers, spammers and spyware pushers are either acting in concert or are the same people. Most viruses now open a backdoor on your PC so it can be turned into a spam relay.

And just before you Mac and Linux users get to be too smug, bear in mind that the recent Witty Worm infected the vast majority of a relatively small potential population of just 12,000 systems in less than an hour - for a security hole that was just one day old. Scary stuff.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread