Match up [SaS] affiliate referral with website
    I can see which affiliates are sending me traffic, but it's not easy for me to see what their feeder website looks like. Is there any way to take the referral link and then somehow do a reverse lookup of what the feeder site is (if it's not the one listed in the affiliate's profile?)

This will help me make suggestions to the affiliates once I can see how they're marketing my products.

ABW Ambassador
    e-mail them and ask. A decent affiliate will not mind being contacted by an affiliate manager for a program they are sending traffic to

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're looking for, you should be able to just click the link or copy and paste it into your browser. This should take you to the site and page that generated the click except in cases where the link was cloaked. Or is it possible that what we affiliates see as the referral link is different from what merchants see?

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

that stinks that I have to email every single affiliate just to get this info. Don't want to bombard their email inboxes...I wish there was a quick way where I could just see all the ACTUAL referrals.

Rematt: unfortunately the referral links I see in my traffic stats are just shareasale affiliate codes that redirect straight to my website.

http and a telephoto
    You should be able to see the link that was clicked on. If you aren't seeing that in your reports, get in touch with Support at Shareasale so they can direct you to where it is.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

http and a telephoto
    Moved your thread to the Shareasale forum where they will be more likely to see your question.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

In most cases, we can see the "Page last clicked" - even if the affiliate is partcipating in Google Adwords (PPC). My question is whether we should be concerned if the "Page last Clicked" is blank.

I have read that this might be an indication of fraud? Any affiliates, merchants or program managers that understand this .. comments are greatly appreciated!

yes, I can see the "page last clicked" but it would be more useful if I could get a list of all the referral pages this affiliate is sending me. for all i know an affiliate has 3 different websites sending me traffic, with each one overwriting the "page last clicked" all the time.

@loxly thanks for moving the thread. hopefully shareasale can help! this seems like a pretty basic feature, that maybe already exists but I can't find it.

Referer can be blank for many reasons, most caused by the clicker, not the clickee. Bookmarked links won't have a referer, links that some friend of a friend emailed to the clicker won't have one, people coming in from their "History" won't have one. I believe that people viewing cached versions of pages don't generate a referer either. I would only be concerned enough to ask the affiliate if none of their clicks have a referer.

Thanks for the information, 2Busy. We do have an affiliate that has all "Last Page Clicked" as blank. We get thousands of clicks from this affiliate - and some sales. I guess that I should be concerned??

Sorry Mary, I'm an affiliate, not a Manager, I have no idea what they look for and when. It never hurts to contact an affiliate and ask them to clarify things you have questions about. I would think an honest affiliate would be happy to tell you what might be causing that. You might have better responses asking in the Becoming a Merchant Forum or Merchant Best Practices where more OPMs congregate.

I once had a SAS merchant ask me how it was possible that an order was placed from my pages when every link they clicked on that page went to a dead-end page. Um, that happened because my sale put their program under the funding threshold so all of their affiliate links were offline at that time. Not my fault.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Hello!
    Okay...when you download your transaction report, you will see "page banner was clicked on"...which is the same thing as a feeder page. In as many cases as we can, we provide that information.

When that field is blank, there are a few reasons:
    - Transaction occurred as the result of a previously placed cookie (you'll know if this is the case because we also show how many days have elapsed since the initial referral)
    - Transaction was driven by an email
    - Transaction was driven by a cloaked link

Generally, I worry about the trends...if every single transaction an affiliate drove had no referring page, then that suggests you're either getting email or cloaked traffic. Both of those reasons are enough to contact the affiliate to make sure you are in the loop on how that traffic is getting to you.

And you can generate a transaction report specifically for a single affiliate. Just locate the affiliate in your affiliate list, click details, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "generate report."

If you have more questions, let me know! I can be reached at ctang at shareasale.com
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

Quote Originally Posted by GregRobert
    Thanks for the information, 2Busy. We do have an affiliate that has all "Last Page Clicked" as blank. We get thousands of clicks from this affiliate - and some sales. I guess that I should be concerned??
    At this point I would be "curious" and not concerned why their links aren't showing. There are many legitimate reasons affilates' links may not show. Thousands of clicks and only a few sales would concern me more and warrant a follow up. They may need help converting or may be misleading your products or belong to a traffic exchange.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Thank you, Greg, Carolyn and 2Busy!!

I will contact them, (in a nice way)! Since we are a new merchant, I don't want all those clicks from one affiliate making our EPC look bad. All of our other active affiliates on converting wonderfully.

Let's hope that it's just email marketing or something.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Hey guys,
    I stand corrected by our tech team! We can track referring pages even if the transactions was a result of a previously placed cookie, and even if the click came from an email. For email, you would see something that looks like: http://us.mail.yahoo.com/readmail?se...kaslnhfgjklasb

There's a great article about how to detect fraud using the transaction report here: http://www.shareasale.com/m-helpcenter.cfm?ID=59

But same deal...if every single transaction the affiliate drives does not have a referring page, it's definitely a good idea to reach out to them!
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

> "For email, you would see something that looks like: http://us.mail.yahoo.com/readmail?s...jkaslnhfgjklasb" <

This would only be true for people who read their email online (using a web email interface). If they use Outlook or another email program, I think the referring URL would still be blank. This is important to know, since a clever spammer could significantly reduce the likelihood of detection (of email as the source of the click) by excluding "free email addresses" (hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc.) from their campaigns.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread