Google Indexing My Site Search Results
    This is first I have noticed that Google is entering terms in my on-site search and indexing the result. It looks like a duplicate content issue in the making. When I click through to my site from the Google search results my page has the search form with the term that the bot used.

The result shown seems to be only one product as opposed to a list of results. Found this using the site: operator.

* This might be a dumb question, but how do you know if it's a bot and not a person searching for a particular model in your search box?

* Is this a WP blog?

Is this a WP blog?
    It's product pages attached to a wp blog, but not operated under the Blog itself.

* This might be a dumb question, but how do you know if it's a bot and not a person searching for a particular model in your search box?
    I'm not sure I understand your question. How would it get in the Google Index if not by their bot?

googlebot will automatically try to find relevant keywords located on the site itself and submit your search form using them. they discussed it in the G webmaster site or google blog one time.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    It's product pages attached to a wp blog, but not operated under the Blog itself.

I'm not sure I understand your question. How would it get in the Google Index if not by their bot?
    I have a similar set up, a blog with product pages attached separate from the blog itself.

I have seen queried results indexed based on I believe what visitors have searched for ( perhaps the bot) and the bot probably recognized that it was an item not indexed yet and/or that the item was in demand ( I assume ).

If it's the bot doing this then that is pretty powerful.

Regarding duplicate content of product pages, honestly I am not too worried about that. A product can have multiple uses and queries that it can show up for and I am sure Google knows that. What I watch for is keyword content pages and making sure they are not duplicated.

That was discussed several month ago, Googlebot is busy with indexing pages through forms and also ajax applications (not all of our pages just a few )

To be safe for this you should use the canonical link tag, this way you're safe for content duplications

To be safe for this you should use the canonical link tag, this way you're safe for content duplications
    Easy inside the blog, but when you step outside and factor in the AJAX and other dynamic factors it's not so easy.

Google has been putting search terms in my site search for at least a year now and it hasn't hurt my sites.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Google has been putting search terms in my site search for at least a year now and it hasn't hurt my sites.
    Encouraging for sure. Thanks

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Personally I dont think it is good for SEO reasons. Those pages are getting indexed. They are all search query result forms with very little original content. (Usually at least when I see this happening).

ANd they are diluting and confusing Google as to what to index. I want google to only Index real pages and the best ones.

I would try to exclude them with Robots.txt or something.

Quote Originally Posted by andbeyond
    ANd they are diluting and confusing Google as to what to index. I want google to only Index real pages and the best ones.
    Those are my thoughts too. With my own scripts I can control exactly what Google can index, but I'm tinkering with third party scripts and don't have the same control.

For example I had a Suggested Products widget and they where different on ever page load. My sitemap would catch one group and they wouldn't be there when the bot came around. I'm talking about individual product pages here that where found from the suggested products widget.

Sometimes these missing items in the index yield a page with the template and no content. It returns a 200 and that can't be good in the long run. With my own scripts if the product disappears G gets a 404.

googlebot will automatically try to find relevant keywords located on the site itself and submit your search form using them. they discussed it in the G webmaster site or google blog one time.

HUH is this for real??? I cant beleive that, isnt that ( Edited out cursing. ) spider busy enough without creating its own pages and spidering them too, hmm I dont trust this answer as far as I can read it wiht my blearly eyes.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; November 6th, 2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Poster is drunk.

The answer is true and you had better clean up your act here. I've already had to edit one of your post for very crude remarks in it.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread