Hosting question
    Hello all! Long time reader first time poster, thanks for having me.

While tooling around the forums I saw several references to the idea of using different registrars for domain name and site hosting.

I thought I wasn't a newbie but now I have to wonder 'cause I have never come across this before. Can any one tell me why it would be necessary to register my domain name and my site hosting with different registrars?

I have 4 sites now and all my eggs are in Godaddy's basket. What am I risking by doing this and what other companies should I look to for both services?

BTW, these forums are great and all you guys make them so. Just wanted to dole out some kudos on my first post.
    THANKS

It just spreads out your risk. With companies that have both services, if you cancel one service you lose access to the other. WIth GD you are probably OK.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Thanks for the quick reply. (Boy I like this place)
    While we're on the topic, any recommendations for other services if I'm considering cutting costs? It hasn't been a huge concern and GD has been good to me but if I can save a substantial amount I might want to spread the wealth a bit.

1&1 is a reliable registrar and it also has domain/hosting packages.

Their business package comes with 3 domains. You can Google 1&1.

Disclaimer: Some affiliates like 1&1 as a host, some don't. I think 1&1 is very reliable and affordable.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I don't think you have much to worry about if you are working with a reputable company and you pay your bills. There is always a horror story somebody could tell you but in general it's not really an issue.

There are web hosting companies and domain registrars

Godaddy is a nice domain partner and not really a web hosting company.
    I host my websites @webfaction.com, great service and they don't offer domain names
    I register domain names by Dynadot because the have a fast and easy control panel

I'd suggest you look at limedomains.com. I've got one domain/hosting through GoDaddy and two through limedomains. Although I like GoDaddy's webmail features better, I like everything else better in limedomains. Their UI is much cleaner and easier to use. Plus, they've got quite a few open-source applications ready to install with basically the click of a button. Prices are comparable to GoDaddy as well.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    As your business grows you can always get a dedicated server and open a domain reseller account.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Like finalwebsites said; hosts are not registrars and registrars are not hosts.

Buying hosting and domain registration from the same provider is not good policy. If your host has outtage issues, there is no quick remedy if that same host has control of the domain itself. And even the most reputable and reliable hosts are not immune to flaking out sometimes.

Just don't do it. This should be Cardinal Rule #1 for "How to start your own website".
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

I think many years ago, the original theory behind having different hosts, registrars, and ownership details was so that Google and other search engines couldn't tie them to the same owner. That way, if you did some crosslinking between the sites Google would calculate them as external links and give you a PR boost. These days who knows how Google penalizes for these things.

Ultimately, I think it's good to diversify your hosts (as long as it's not done in a shady, crosslinking sort of way) in case any one of them goes down or out of business and your site is offline for a while. That way you'll still have your other sites up and running instead of temporarily losing them all.

As for different registrars, I like having all mine in the same place for quick and easy maintenance.

Thanks davidh!

it's a nightmare if the hosting platform is down, including the control panel for domain names

The statements about registrars not being hosts and vice versa is far from true. If a company offers both services they are a web hosting company and a domain company. That really cannot be disputed. How good they are at one or the other is what I think people tend to question. Godaddy does domains and hosting fine for some people. Enom (a huge domain company) also does linux and window hosting. Each service (hosting/domain signup) is very easy to become a reseller of so it makes sense that alot of companies offer both.

Ultimately mwager do what makes your life easy and makes your life cheap. If you want to put both at the same then by all means do it. Chances are great that you will not have any problems. I'd hazard to say most people don't. All of above replies come from people that have had issues in the past. But there are countless more that keep everything at one company and are completely satisfied.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

http and a telephoto
    I keep my registrations at enom and my hosting separate. I had some domains registered and hosted at 1&1 and after having issues with 1&1 hosting, I transferred the domains to enom, it wasn't fast. Doing things this way if I move sites around I just update the info at enom and it's pointing to where I need it, and quickly.

I also know people that successfully register and host at godaddy, although I tried that in the past and won't go back there either.

I like my host getyourwebsitetoday.com
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Godaddy does domains and hosting fine for some people.
    I wouldn't use Godaddy for hosting, but I do use them for names.

For hosting it's the technical side that limits them. Too many time I have read about some technical thingy available that has documentation that says to the effect, "Except Doesn't Work With Godaddy".

Can't remember any specifics, but enough to mark them off. Now if you don't mess with the technical edge then they might be fine, but I want all the flex possible. It's kind of like the old AOL users exceptions that where everywhere.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    you should have your domain registration and hosting separate so that when your host suspends you without warning you can quickly point your domains to a new host. If you register and host at the same company, you are at their mercy.

All of above replies come from people that have had issues in the past.
    And if one simply does not leave oneself open to the possibility of ever encountering these issues.... they cannot happen in the future
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by loxly

I like my host getyourwebsitetoday.com
    It doesn't bother you that there is no phone number for them and their whois appears incomplete?

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence
    It doesn't bother you that there is no phone number for them and their whois appears incomplete?
    Ouch - that would worry me. The host(s) I use for my main income sites have three means of support: email, a ticket system, AND phone contact. I value my income too much to trust any less.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

http and a telephoto
    I know the owner personally. Will pass along the info.
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I know the owner personally...
    Best kind of hosting

http and a telephoto
    Best kind of hosting
    Indeed. Been hosting with him for 2 years without a hitch.
    Deborah Carney

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread