New Walmart Linking Policy in TOS?
    Walmart just made some additions to their terms of service. I don't understand what they are saying. Any ideas? I am so confused... Do they mean to say, "Link a Walmart creative" to your own website?
    Please be aware of our new linking policy:

2. Links on Your Website or Third Party Websites

All Qualifying Links must link directly and exclusively to Walmart.com.

Section 3: Prohibitions: You may not:

* link any Qualifying Link to any website other than our Site, including, for example, your own website;
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

I am not certain but I think they might be trying to say that they don't allow redirects of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyM
    I am not certain but I think they might be trying to say that they don't allow redirects of any kind.
    When I first read it, that's what I thought as well. But redirects are pretty fundamental for tracking ROI and masking links from programs such as Norton Internet Security. I've put a lot of R+D effort into maintaining the referrer on my redirects to ensure there is traffic source transparency. I had to do this for eBay's affiliate program.

I've never seen a merchant come out and state, "no redirects". I have seen them say, "You must not hide referrer information".
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    There is another part of the new TOS that is equally troubling:

Section 6: Referral Fee Schedule
    We reserve the right and discretion to exclude items from our Referral Fee database (see e.g., purchases from Sam's Club and Samsclub.com, Pharmacy, Travel, Financial Services, tires, optical, Wal-Mart Connect Internet Service, Gift Cards, and Online Gift Cards). Therefore, you acknowledge and agree that we cannot and do not warrant or guarantee that you will be paid a referral fee on any item(s) or that all items eligible for a referral fee will be paid in accordance with the Referral Fee Rates listed on the Affiliate Portal.
    There appear to be saying that they can refuse to pay a commission of any item at any time, and that they can pay whatever commission rate they feel like, on any item, at any time.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound

There appear to be saying that they can refuse to pay a commission of any item at any time, and that they can pay whatever commission rate they feel like, on any item, at any time.
    Yes, I saw that too in my most recent e-mail from the Walmart affiliate program. I can most likely live with the exclusion lists, but if they are really disallowing all redirects, well, I've got some serious problems.

Could they mean 3rd party redirects..?

My link redirect/cloaking php script is on my site, as opposed to those 3rd party hosted solutions. But I find it hard to believe a merchant could dictate use of local or 3rd party redirects.

This is what I don't understand: "including, for example, your own website"

It does sound like they're denying use of any redirect. I would point out that every major coupon site/toolbar uses redirects. Do these rules apply to them as well?

I once received change in terms from a merchant related to meta tags (couldn't use store name in title, desc or kw).. pointed them to 5 major publishers who were still doing it. Received a note back saying the store approved my usage...

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    I would point out that every major coupon site/toolbar uses redirects.
    Every major price comparison website uses redirects as well...

Maybe they mean you can't use their banners and creatives to link to your own site or another site. I don't think they're talking about redirects.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound

Now that Wal-Mart is selling caskets online maybe they are planning to "bury" their aff program as well.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I got the same email ... I read it as I can send people from anywhere as long as it is DIRECT to Walmart. The maybe we will pay you or NOT is always been a part of their program.

15 years and counting
    I don't understand what they mean, either. It doesn't make sense. By experience I know one thing, they pay ONLY on peanuts. Don't waste your time. Even if you sell thousand and thousand of items, you'll get peanuts. Yes, they do convert, but you'll make so little money it will not be worth the frustration. Believe me, reading pages and pages of sales in the non-commissionable report or looking at cents on each line is frustrating. This year, like last year, I will not link to them. (directly and exclusively?)

Ok, I heard back from LinkShare. They are not disallowing all redirects.

These new terms are supposed to address some sort of exploit. LinkShare was very vague as to the nature of the hack.

Therefore, you acknowledge and agree that we cannot and do not warrant or guarantee that you will be paid a referral fee on any item(s) or that all items eligible for a referral fee will be paid in accordance with the Referral Fee Rates listed on the Affiliate Portal.
    Holy WOW! I can't wait until I get that call asking if they can expect me to increase my listings for the holiday season.... There will be words

I also like how they'll be switching around which products they'll be paying commissions on..

"In addition, beginning November 1, we will no longer be commissioning on a select number of items. The list of items will be updated starting the 1st of each month and shared with you a few days prior..."

Sounds like a lot of busy work for affiliates -- all for $33.89 in commissions

They say it's a small amount, but no doubt it will be the highest in demand products.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

They say it's a small amount, but no doubt it will be the highest in demand products.
    Yes, this is worrisome and a lot of work to check their product list for products with no commission.

All the 'high' demand product sales all end up in the non-commissionable file anyway, so why waste time dealing with it. Put up a couple of banners to show you are worthy of having Walmart be listed on you site and go find products from other merchants, you actually get paid for when they convert.

Anyone else notice that Wal-Mart have also disabled use of the LinkGenerator service? Anyone know another way to generate deep links instead?

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thegyppo
    Anyone else notice that Wal-Mart have also disabled use of the LinkGenerator service?
    No they haven't.

It's still here
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; November 11th, 2009 at 03:25 PM. Reason: added link
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Cheers AffiliateHound

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread