GAN AdSense Terminations Official
    When trying to log into my GAN account I now get the message...
    "*Affiliate Name* has been deactivated for the network. *Affiliate Name* should be approved for the network before applying to any advertiser."

It's official, in one of the most affiliate-unfriendly moves ever, GAN has terminated all affiliates who could not open an AdSense account.

They have severed long-standing relationships between merchants and many valued affiliates.

They have removed all access to accounts so that terminated affiliates can't even see reports or ensure proper payment.

They have increased the time to payment for existing affiliates.

They have encouraged GAN affiliates to promote AdSense and take away sales from their merchant partners.

If you have any notion that GAN cares about your business and your success, I assure you, they do not.

I'll say it again... one of the most affiliate-unfriendly moves ever.

I still thanks that CJ is the worst though.

Quote Originally Posted by marcelle
    So you're saying a network that is unwilling to pay him or work with him anymore is still better than CJ, who is willing to work with him and pay him. Yeah okay you make sense.

All the networks have problems, but at least they don't throw out thousands of affiliates from their program to solve them, like Google has done.

They needed to merge GAN and Adsense payments. So to solve it, they dumped all non-adsense affiliates.

I'd rather put up w/ any of the other networks problems then see them resolve them like Google has done.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

We're all entitled to our own opinions.

I view CJ as the best of the legacy affiliate networks. They're the only network that maintains escrow accounts for commissions and they pay Net 20.

I now view GAN as the worst of the legacy affiliate networks. (I already did, but it was close to a tie with LinkShare before - now it's not even close.) With these changes, they take an EXTRA 30 days to pay (now Net 60-90 in most cases), many good affiliates are not even eligible to join, and every affiliate faces the possibility of indiscriminate termination.

Sadly, none of the legacy affiliate networks even come close to the more agile, affiliate-friendly, ethical networks like ShareASale, Avantlink, buy.at, etc.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Sadly, none of the legacy affiliate networks even come close to the more agile, affiliate-friendly, ethical networks like ShareASale, Avantlink, buy.at, etc.
    Yes, absolutely. And hooray for SAS, Avantlink, buy.at, and the few others out there like them. I especially like that description of them.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Yes, absolutely. And hooray for SAS, Avantlink, buy.at, and the few others out there like them. I especially like that description of them.
    +1

Yes, Gary, Michael Coley surely has a fine description there: "more agile, affiliate-friendly, ethical networks like ShareASale, Avantlink, buy.at, etc."
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

We're all entitled to our own opinions.

I view CJ as the best of the legacy affiliate networks. .......

I am not defending GAN. They have been pretty incompetant for many years, but CJ oozes with anti-affiliate sentiment since its conception. CJ invented affiliate deactivation for those affiliates who do not make a sale in six months (now they allow you to reactivate). They also attempted to introduce "Javasctipt only" links and then had to bow under afiliate pressure. OK they pay Net 20., but to me, when it comes to payment, they are all more-or-less equal. At the end of the day they all pay regularly.

We simply have a short memory when it comes to judging networks.

marcelle

ABW Ambassador
    Depends what you're talking about, ethics yes, but these others aren't competing yet but it's up to them if they want to. Buy.at could be a competitor once they get more than 30 or so merchants. Avantlink is great, once they get more merchants and while I love them, they're the only network not available on PopShops, that would be an affiiate friendly move. SAS has lots of programs, also one of the most open merchant agreements where I've always felt the need to tighten up as some merchants have taken advantage of it, which has not been affiliate friendly.

When we look at all networks, we need to look at them realistically and be real about it, even your favorite ones. I wish all networks ran smooth and were affiliate friendly because that's where most merchants decide to have their program, so it benefits everybody if they were all good. That's why I've always wanted the more ethical ones to step their game up and compete. These others are still the biggest for a reason. Nobody is out there knocking them down.

Buy.at was "ethical" network before it was sold a year or two ago. Now it is as unethical as the big networks.

At the end of the day they all pay regularly.
    If that's been your experience, good for you. It hasn't been mine. LinkShare and GAN only pay after the merchant pays them. In years past, sometimes that was 3-6 months later. More recently, it's 1-3 months later. And if a merchant goes bankrupt or skips town, you get nothing (or sometimes pennies on the dollar, years later, in the case of a bankruptcy). I've probably had $100k or more in unpaid commissions over the years. If those merchants had been on a network that required commissions to be paid up front (like SAS or even CJ), that wouldn't have happened.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

If that's been your experience, good for you. It hasn't been mine. LinkShare and GAN only pay after the merchant pays them. In years past, sometimes that was 3-6 months later. More recently, it's 1-3 months later. And if a merchant goes bankrupt or skips town, you get nothing (or sometimes pennies on the dollar, years later, in the case of a bankruptcy). I've probably had $100k or more in unpaid commissions over the years. If those merchants had been on a network that required commissions to be paid up front (like SAS or even CJ), that wouldn't have happened.
    I've had experience with bankrupt merchants but that was a tiny percentage. Putting the issue of merchants going bankrupt aside, once you work as an affiliate over a period of many years, a delay in payment of three months becomes less significant once payments start coming regularly. Don't forget that CJ merchants have the right to extend for an extra month.

For some business models, delays and exposure like that can be catastrophic. Think about a PPC affiliate that is spending $100k/month on PPC to get a $120k/month commission and earn $20k/month in profits. Three months lag on payment means they have to float $300k in PPC charges. If a merchant goes bankrupt, they're out $300k in PPC, which wipes out 15 months of profits.

I would rather have my money in the bank 20 days after the end of the month.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

For some business models, delays and exposure like that can be catastrophic. Think about a PPC affiliate that is spending $100k/month on PPC to get a $120k/month commission and earn $20k/month in profits. Three months lag on payment means they have to float $300k in PPC charges. If a merchant goes bankrupt, they're out $300k in PPC, which wipes out 15 months of profits.

I would rather have my money in the bank 20 days after the end of the month.

You're right about this one! In this business however, 20% profit on PPC strikes me as too risky especially that we affiliates are at the bottom of the food chain.

Was GAN up-front about these deactivations with any of their merchants? Did they send deactivation notices to all of their merchant partners with a list of affiliates that were kicked out for not having AdSense? More likely, the merchants still have no clue how many good affiliates they lost. I wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by bigcrinoid
    Was GAN up-front about these deactivations with any of their merchants? Did they send deactivation notices to all of their merchant partners with a list of affiliates that were kicked out for not having AdSense? More likely, the merchants still have no clue how many good affiliates they lost. I wonder...
    The merchants know...at least those that we want to be affiliated with would know. They are just falling for the Google hype now, but give it time.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread