If you think you'll get rich as a blogger, read this first
    I thought this article by Daniel Lyons of Newsweek should be required reading for all new ABW members who come asking how to make money as a blogger.

ABW Ambassador
    I remember somebody posting that when it came out earlier this year. The only thing it really proves is the author failed at it.

One guy didn't have the right angle, that's all there is to that.

It wouldn't be to hard to find a few folks who didn't hit the right spot with their affiliate storefront or price comparison site, but that doesn't mean that these types of sites are not viable.

Conversely, Ebay and Myspace are huge. That's no indicator that putting up a new auction site or social networking site would assure newfound riches, though.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    On that day more than 500,000 people hit my site—by far the biggest day I'd ever had—and through Google's AdSense program I earned about a hundred bucks.

I would be very happy with a hundred bucks a day in earnings.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    On that day more than 500,000 people hit my site—by far the biggest day I'd ever had—and through Google's AdSense program I earned about a hundred bucks.

I would be very happy with a hundred bucks a day in earnings.
    A hundred bucks earnings on 500,000 unique visits? I'd kill myself.

This in itself IS a strong indicator that whatever he was doing was hopeless.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates

ABW Ambassador
    The failure is mostly his. On his best day of traffic, he made $100 from adsense! He failed at marketing though he succeeded at blogging.

asking how to make money as a blogger.
    It doesn't really say you can't make money just to not expect millions.

On a side note the ads on that page from Pulse 360 know where I live. They have targeted ads mentioning my hometown and it's a small town with a unique name. I guess they sniffed my IP.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    On a side note the ads on that page from Pulse 360 know where I live. They have targeted ads mentioning my hometown and it's a small town with a unique name. I guess they sniffed my IP.
    Isn't that very common now a days. I see ads mentioning my town on sites like CNN. Ads run by Adsblade.

Outsourced Program Manager
    I do believe the day is not too far off, or arguably already here in some cases, where retailers will serve you 'unique' content based on your location, previous purchase behavior, new vs. repeat, the website you came from (e.g, Affiliate vs. Search) all to help conversion. It should ultimately be good for Affiliates but eventually there will be no more homogeneous web surfing experiences.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    With the kind of traffic the guy describes, he should be able to make 10K a month minimum. Actually 30K would be quite reasonable.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

To me this shows two things: 1) writers often don't understand the business side of things (I've worked with a lot of writers that fit this pattern) and 2) anyone relying on Google AdSense for more than extra spending cash is delusional.

I wouldn't make generalizations like that. There are thousands of people who make a full time income from AdSense. For many types of web sites, AdSense monetizes better than affiliate marketing.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

2) anyone relying on Google AdSense for more than extra spending cash is delusional.
    I've relied upon Google Adsense to pay my rent and bills for the last 6+ years. And I'm just a small fish in a big ocean. I can't even imagine how much money some folks make; surely there are very many individuals who make tens of thousands of dollars per month from Adsense.

They have targeted ads mentioning my hometown and it's a small town with a unique name. I guess they sniffed my IP.
    They need to learn to filter out satellite IPs, lol. They always serve me up TX or MD ads, either of which are hundreds and hundreds miles away.

*It looks like he put the site on a free blog hosting site. (blogspot) not always the best choice if you want to make money.

*He could have left the content up or redirected it. Instead just a blank page now. (except there are fakes of the real fake it looks like)

*New bloggers often think they have to go nuts posting in the beginning, then the money doesn't come in like they expect, and they burn out.

Blog content doesn't 'rot' like old bananas. Post less, but create more substantial posts.

Hi --

I've watched a old affiliate conference video with a segment on blogging & bloggers.

These was some guy on the stage stating he was making around 30 to $40,000 a month from adsense...

Not sure if he was just trying to hype himself up to promo his site(s) .. but if its true .. then there is at least one who makes a ton !!
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

Welcome to geotargetting. Not hard to do at all. Here is a free database you can download to determines someones city from your end:

http://www.maxmind.com/app/geolitecity
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

I agree Michael
    AdSense monetizes better than affiliate marketing.
    with Google it's what it is and I believe that they will not jerk you around and screw you out of your commissions

Angry
    Are you kidding me? Google Adsense crew snapped up and took $80 of my money once with very little explanation. I had create a site with original content, original video, and drove a good amount of traffic to it -- all for a particular event. They decided I had fraudulent clicks and took all of the $$ that it had earned over a couple of months. They then let me start over at $0 with that account. They have since NOT taken any more money from the same site with the same content. I took the site down. Do they give me a chance to give them my IP address to prove I have NEVER clicked on any of my adsense ads? No.

Google is too big to care about most things. I keep seeing this over and over . Right now we are fighting them about unique original products in Google Base. Every time they give us back a generic answer we reply and it takes a week to get another reply back. Meanwhile our legit products sit in Google Base. What is different about them? Nothing. How long have they been there without a problem. Years.

Like everything else - diversify.
    (wow - Didn't realize I had a nerve about them )
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Quote Originally Posted by mailman
    I agree Michael
    AdSense monetizes better than affiliate marketing.
    That's not quite what I said. For many types of web sites, that's true. But for sites that are designed to catch people at the right point in the buying cycle and that have highly targeted traffic and a good relationship, the monetization can be 10x better (or more) with good affiliate programs than with AdSense.

I have many merchants where I earn several dollars per click, on average, from highly targeted sites. It's almost unheard of to see anything near that with AdSense.

Different things work for different sites. Some work best with affiliate programs. Some with AdSense. Some with CPM ads. Some with membership fees. Some with sponsorhips. Some with some combination of those. It's equally wrong to discount any one of those options or to say that any one of them is always the best.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    It's like anything in life. Some are going to fail, some are going to succeed. And Sam Park said it the best in this situation - "He failed at marketing though he succeeded at blogging." He had lots of traffic but had no idea how to monetize it. 1.5 million people in a month, I would have made a lot more than just barely over $1,000. So he failed miserably at that part. And then later in the article you had a husband and wife team working on a personal blog making $500,000 - $1,000,000 a year. They figured it out.

Adsense vs. affiliate marketing vs. whatever else is out there, what's best? Test it out and find out. That's the only way. Adsense might work great for one person where affiliate marketing works better for another. One might work better on one site of yours and something else for another site. Test it, don't guess it

Adsense might work great for one person where affiliate marketing works better for another
    I agree 100%. I have NEVER done well with AdSense, but affiliate marketing pays my bills now. Turned out to better at sales-oriented copy than I realized...

Don't forget to read the thread where Google Affiliate Network and AdSense are getting rid of affiliates right and left. It's like playing Russian Roulette with them. http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87

Good Luck.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread