Swine Flu
    How are you in the USA coping with getting the shots for H1N1. We have a panic situation here in Canada.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    A panic?
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

there is a very long thread about this somewhere already...

Moderator Note: I've moved this to the Virtual Family subforum.

Most people aren't too concerned about it. Several million people (5 million? I saw a news article last week, but can't find it) in the US have had it in the past few months, and the mortality rate has been no higher than the seasonal flu (less than 0.1%, and probably more like 0.02%).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Media
    The Media here created a panic situation here with unbelievable lineups.
    Here is some info http://www.ctv.ca/news/

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Key Facts About Seasonal Influenza (Flu)
    Every year in the United States, on average:

* about 36,000 people die from flu-related causes.

About Swine Flu
    Swine flu is more widespread now than it's ever been, and has resulted in more than 1,000 U.S. deaths so far.

CPA Network Rep
    Post Hello
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Moderator Note: I've moved this to the Virtual Family subforum.

Most people aren't too concerned about it. Several million people (5 million? I saw a news article last week, but can't find it) in the US have had it in the past few months, and the mortality rate has been no higher than the seasonal flu (less than 0.1%, and probably more like 0.02%).
    "the mortality rate has been no higher than the seasonal flu" Are u sure, dude? It is hard to imagine. Flu spreads out in America and It is panic.

“Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself”: FDR’s First Inaugural Address

Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    Although I know and have been around 4-5 people who have it, I have not gotten it. My secret to deal with it: I eat my veggies, exercise and basically maintain a healthy lifestyle which keeps my immune system functioning well...Better than medicine

CPA Network Rep
    Post Hello
    Quote Originally Posted by pjvesperman
    Although I know and have been around 4-5 people who have it, I have not gotten it. My secret to deal with it: I eat my veggies, exercise and basically maintain a healthy lifestyle which keeps my immune system functioning well...Better than medicine

Good for you, but never try your luck to deal with it and be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by hapmedia
    "the mortality rate has been no higher than the seasonal flu" Are u sure, dude? It is hard to imagine. Flu spreads out in America and It is panic.
    That's certainly what it looks like.

1000/5000000 = 0.0002 or 0.02% mortality rate with the swine flu.

The seasonal flu affects about 10% of the US population each year (so about 36 million people) and kills about 36,000. That's 36000/36000000 = 0.001 or 0.1%.

So if you get the seasonal flu, you have a 1/1000 chance of it being fatal. With the swine flu, it looks to be more like 1/5000.

FWIW, previous similar flus (other than the Spanish flu of 1918-1919) had similar mortality rates (under 0.1%):

Spanish flu (1918-19): 2.5%
    Asian flu (1956-58): < 0.1%
    Hong Kong flu (1968-69): < 0.1%
    Seasonal flu: < 0.1%
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    The media and government officials* have lapped up the chum of Big Pharma propaganda. The h1ni flu is no more dangerous than any new strain that regularly develops each year, but Big Pharma has stepped up their many-hundred million dollar advertising campaign this year to new depths of depravity, causing panic and billion dollar profits.

Much more info in these two threads: Just Say No to the Swine Flu Vaccine of 2009 and Swine Flu Vaccination Yes or No
    _____
    *That fall into two categories: Those bought and paid for and those too scared to take any chance of doing nothing or exercising a modicum of actual thought.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Odd things is... the newspapers and tv news have been running alarming stories about flu vaccine shortages. But the Walgreens down the street is open for business offering walk-in service for shots.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

The thing with H1N1 is that it is significantly more contagious than most seasonal varieties, and as yet vulnerable groups have still not had a vaccination.

In the UK H1N1 had become quite widespread before the summer holidays shut down the schools.. now the schools are open, it's on the march again, only a little slower as people have begun to take better precautions.

However, if you are healthy there's not much risk. Symptoms vary a lot between individuals though, and you will have to stay away from people for the duration of the illness which will be a PITA.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Aussies just went thru there winter I believe
    "souther hemisphere"

And what happened there ?
    nothing - normal flu type of rates
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    The thing with H1N1 is that it is significantly more contagious than most seasonal varieties, and as yet vulnerable groups have still not had a vaccination.
    At least here in the US, I'm not sure that is true either. If the 5 million number is accurate, it's only hit 1-2% of the population (so far). The regular flu hits about 10% every year.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    At least here in the US, I'm not sure that is true either. If the 5 million number is accurate, it's only hit 1-2% of the population (so far). The regular flu hits about 10% every year.
    I was going to say that there is absolutely no evidence of that, and the opposite is likely true, as these figures seem to support.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

UK figures are approximately doubling every two weeks at the moment which is pretty typical for most similar countries I believe.

Six months (roughly until summer) = 13 x 2 weeks, I think most up us can work out 2^12...
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

CPA Network Rep
    Smile Hello
    That's certainly what it looks like.

1000/5000000 = 0.0002 or 0.02% mortality rate with the swine flu.

The seasonal flu affects about 10% of the US population each year (so about 36 million people) and kills about 36,000. That's 36000/36000000 = 0.001 or 0.1%.

So if you get the seasonal flu, you have a 1/1000 chance of it being fatal. With the swine flu, it looks to be more like 1/5000.

FWIW, previous similar flus (other than the Spanish flu of 1918-1919) had similar mortality rates (under 0.1%):

Spanish flu (1918-19): 2.5%
    Asian flu (1956-58): < 0.1%
    Hong Kong flu (1968-69): < 0.1%
    Seasonal flu: < 0.1%
    Hey, you are quite good at calculating numbers and your thought is quite clear. Great Mind.

Thumbs up
    I found this video on youtube to be very good with the intel that was shared ...

It is in spanish, but has english captions -

TERESA FORCADES, doctor in Public Health : Spain

Heres part 1 of 6
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0JqQ...layer_embedded

The lady goes over many interesting facts and irregularities of the whole swine flu event...
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

Hi guys
    we can save ourselves from H1N1 just by adopting some precautions and it will help us a lot.
    Be careful while going on public places, do not go in dusty areas, cover your mouth while sneezing and coughing, keep the hands clean, avoid making direct contact with infected people, do never re-use handkerchief or tissue, keep your diet balanced, take exercise and do not allow the stress bolt around you.

Not wrong that a lot of people has died of this panic disease but it is still curable. Even if someone becomes prey to this disease, he/she can come out of it just by making precautions their habit. They do not need to take medicines necessarily, as it is said "prevention is better than cure"

Today's USA Today reports: "Swine flu has swept through about 22 million Americans between April and October, killing an estimated 3,900 people, including 540 children."

Its really a powder keg.
    Is there any special strategies designed by America to fight against swine flu in accordance with current situation?

My 8 year old had the flu a couple weeks ago, nothing serious. Ran a fever of about 100 on and off for 3 days. The usual mild fatique and aches. He was sick enough to be home from school, but not sick enough to stay away from the computer and the Legos - he loved it! The rest of us, although exposed thru him, have not come down with it.

My sister, an RN, had all her flu shots 3 weeks ago, including the H1N1. She is now home sick with the flu, so apparently they didn't do her much good

I personally think the risk to normally healthy people is overblown.

Affiliate Manager
    I had my DD at the Dr's office last week for an issue unrelated to the flu. The Dr said the media is blowing the swine flu out of proportion. He has seen lots of patients with swine and as long as they take care of themselves and don't have any other underlying issues like asthma or heart conditions they survive just fine. He said there are other flu viruses out there that are much more dangerous.

DD got both the flu shot and the swine flu shot because she has asthma.

There was a lot of flu going around school in September. Not long after school went back into session. A lot of kids were sick but no one was even hospitalized. Everyone got through it.

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread