Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Moderator leeann's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,955
    Do You Agree With These Figures?
    I see that 2,516 people have looked at the "Google Merchants With Other Networks" thread. Just for the sake of argument, let's say that 50% looked more than once or were not affiliates. That would leave 1258 ex- Google Affiliates. Now let's say... that the 1258 produce at least $50,000 in sales (not commissions, but sales) which I would think would be reasonable, but I'm not sure. Multiply that and sit back and say, wow.

    Am I estimating this wrong?
    leeann


    Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

  2. #2
    Moderator MichaelColey's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Mansfield, TX
    Posts
    16,232
    It's 2,516 views, not 2,516 unique members who have viewed the thread. On the flip side, though, I don't think it counts lurkers (people who aren't members or who aren't logged on), which can be substantial.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

  3. #3
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,327
    $50,000 in sales each? I doubt it. Most affiliates wouldn't come close to that.

    Anyway, even if 1258 affiliates didn't produce the sales, then other affiliates would.

    Hardly any of those who looked at that thread might be ex-affiliates.

  4. #4
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    October 22nd, 2006
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    that the 1258 produce at least $50,000 in sales (not commissions, but sales) which I would think would be reasonable, but I'm not sure. Multiply that and sit back and say, wow.

    Am I estimating this wrong?
    $50000 in sales over what time period, per month (Nah...), per year (few may be)? Not many affiliates will produce $50000 in sales per year.

  5. #5
    Moderator leeann's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    Hardly any of those who looked at that thread might be ex-affiliates.
    Really? Why would many affiliates still in the program be interested I wonder?

    $50,000 annually as an average per affiliate is too high? Maybe 1/2 of that?
    leeann


    Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

  6. #6
    Shimmy Shimmy Bang Bang shimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    352
    There's no way to guess an average. People just assume baised on what they make themseleves. The average would probably be low, but it doesn't resemble the amount lost. They had to lose at least several affiliate that made made $50,000/MONTH in sales. You should try to do a poll for only those who got kicked out to see their average in a month or year.

  7. #7
    Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,238
    I could produce $50,000 in sales if you give me 50 years to do it.

  8. #8
    Shimmy Shimmy Bang Bang shimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    352
    $50,000 is nothing in some markets. Like computers. You sell 50 computers you make $50,000 in sales. Remember we're talking sales here not commission.

  9. #9
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    October 22nd, 2006
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by shimmy
    $50,000 is nothing in some markets. Like computers. You sell 50 computers you make $50,000 in sales. Remember we're talking sales here not commission.
    Not everybody promote high ticketed items like computers.

  10. #10
    Shimmy Shimmy Bang Bang shimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    352
    that's obvious, no one ever said everyone did.

  11. #11
    Member eSilverBullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 29th, 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    112
    FYI, I viewed that thread because of the prominence its link plays in your signature. I was intrigued by your activism.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    I see that 2,516 people have looked at the "Google Merchants With Other Networks" thread. Just for the sake of argument, let's say that 50% looked more than once or were not affiliates. That would leave 1258 ex- Google Affiliates. Now let's say... that the 1258 produce at least $50,000 in sales (not commissions, but sales) which I would think would be reasonable, but I'm not sure. Multiply that and sit back and say, wow.

    Am I estimating this wrong?
    I'm not sure that would be an accurate calculation, but I am sure that everyone that was kicked out does not read this forum and therefore doesn't even know that thread exists. In addition to the non-readers, add in the people that would have been approved for GAN but are now being denied AdSense accounts and won't be able to join GAN. Then add in the loss of merchant sales from potential customers that are being sent away with AdSense ads on formerly merchant only pages.

    Add in those factors to your calculation and you may not be far off. The loss in merchant sales is certainly in the several million dollar range.

  13. #13
    Full Member suzie250's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2005
    Posts
    416
    Really? Why would many affiliates still in the program be interested I wonder?
    I'm sure there many reasons they look. But for me, If I find a merchant in another network where I get paid each month, I will switch over to that other network. I definatley took a look at that list just to see if I could switch any merchants over.
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

  14. #14
    Moderator leeann's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,955
    Quote Originally Posted by suzie250
    I'm sure there many reasons they look. But for me, If I find a merchant in another network where I get paid each month, I will switch over to that other network. I definatley took a look at that list just to see if I could switch any merchants over.
    Ahh, well that makes sense.
    leeann


    Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

  15. #15
    Newbie
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Posts
    1,537
    I would guess the average experienced affiliate makes about $1,000 per month in sales from all sources. So if you apply that number to the Google fiasco and just figure on at least 5,000 affiliates getting the ax ... Merchants are losing $5 MILLION PER MONTH in aggregate sales. Which is $60 MILLION PER YEAR.

    But I will bet you, Google doesn't care, because now those merchants NEED to add ADSENSE to their sites just to stay in business or cover their online costs.

    Globally, Google should have no problem making up the loss in fees and thensome.

    I for one, am not in the charity business, so if a merchant, network or whatever is not profitable or part of the mix that generates an overall profit, I am not sending them FREE traffic to have any actual monies they generate confiscated for no known reason except we can do it or breaking a TOS that is beyond ambiguous.

    I would think now would be a good time for someone to take on Google head to head.
    No so much because they would become dominate, but to give people a choice that is not just a joke.

  16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. I agree with Shawn
    By Merchant Consultant Team in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: July 5th, 2006, 03:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •