Has anybody noticed how their clickthroughs per 1000 impressions ration has dropped recently? Mine has dropped to about 50% of what it was.

I might be paranoid and CJ can try to spin me all the bullshoot they want but I for one am convinced the parasites are starting to get into cleaning up mode. By that I certainly do NOT mean they are starting operate on a legal and moral basis, I mean they are cleaning all the commissions for themselves and the likes of your trusted third party (or turd party whichever you prefer) are aiding and abetting them 100%.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Gordon

I haven't crunched a lot of numbers yet, but I perceive a problem over the last few weeks.

Traffic is still there, conversion ratios at merchants haven't changed, but earnings are down. There just don't seem to be as many people clicking through.

TBH, I'm more concerned about the ad blocking issue than the parasite one, so I'm starting to disguise and redirect all my links. Big job though, site by site ...

Of course I may just be paranoid too. Other reasons include changes in SE traffic sources (Google vs Yahoo etc) meaning different people hitting my sites.

ABW Ambassador
    Since you mentioned CJ and i can finally logged in, i checked some 12 month trend graphs.

My Click-thru Rate has steadily gone up the past year.

My earnings per thousand impressions went from 1.5 to 2.5 from April 2003 to April 2004.

Parasites are a constant. They've been doing what they've been doing this month, last month, last year, a year and a half ago when there was the Nov. meeting. Always have been around. So just because you might see a dip doesn't mean its parasites. For those people seeing a dip and screaming parasites they say "Well i used to make a lot more and now i'm taking a dip" When you were making more, there were parasites. You also gave up your urls for the Ebates exclusion list, so you can't blame them anymore. Bryan in the Backcountry Store thread when you asked about this said right now there are a lot of lookers.

Taking a dip, not doing good as you used to probably SE changes, more competition, seasonal changes etc.

ABW Ambassador
    Many of the articals I've seen state that parasites are being more aggressively launched. Also, If the problem wasn't getting worse, I doubt would the ftc be looking into the matter.

I do believe there can be seasonal times of the year that has more shoppers but to think that with more numbers of parasites, more installs every day of parasitic applications and outright pushing of parasites onto merchants that the amount of effect from them is "constant".... I disagree with that whole heartdly.

I do believe that some of this could also be seasonal if we're talking about the past 2-3 weeks. Remember that quite a few people are on Spring Break or will start next week. Many of my customers, that buy my own products, are students or teachers who don't use the internet much when away from school. Just have to see if things pick up after next week.

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Another consideration is that next Friday is April 15th - the 2003 tax deadline. During years in retail management I learned that April was often the slowest month of the year as people who owe taxes wait until the last possible moment to pay them (including self-employed Affiliate Marketers? )

My sales have slowed the last couple of weeks despite traffic remaining constant, but I assume at least some of it is due to taxes coming due.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Just so no one misses the deadline the 15th is actually Thursday.

ABW Ambassador
    "Many of the articals I've seen state that parasites are being more aggressively launched."

They're always launching. Now, last month and last year. You also have to consider just because there is a new parasite, it still has to get on the users computer. The FTC is looking into the matter because finally people are learning about this stuff and letting their officials know about it. Also from links posted 75% of people uninstall this stuff. So you could make an argument less and less people have this on their computer because they are getting educated about it and removing it. I know the people i've helped get their computer clean have helped people they know do the same thing.

Also for those taking a dip blaming parasites, others aren't taking a dip and actually doing better. And from earlier in the thread i can post CJ graphs of my click thru ratio and earnings per 1000 impressions increasing over last year. So parasites are a constant and with some affiliates taking a dip while others progressing it's clearing the affiliate that is the problem. I think the parasites have become convenient for everyone to blame their problems on, it keeps them from accepting responsibility for their success or failure in their own business.

ABW Ambassador
    Earnings per 1000 impressions

ABW Ambassador
    Click Thru Rate

ABW Ambassador
    First graph earnings per 1000 impression increase a full point over the last year.

Next graph click thru rate DOUBLED.

It's not the parasites, it's you.

ABW Ambassador
    My traffic has dropped noticeably the past few weeks. But my epc is up quite a bit and earnings are steady.

I can't say it's the parasites Gordy, although I'm sure they're skimming. My earnings per 1000 impressions is steadily increasing.

The biggest problem I believe is the uncertainty with the SE's.
    After one of my sites was googlefried in March it made me step back and take a look at how complacent I had become, it was bound to happen after enjoying google's blessing for years.

I really don't think all our woes can be put on the para's, although Norton does make me nervous.

ABW Ambassador
    Earnings per 1000 impressions.

If only it was a true graph

WOW you people set a lot of impressions per visitor. I try to only set one per page.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread