Extreme Newbie Help?
    Ok, we are so new with Affiliate marketing, i dont even think we could be called a newbie yet. We are an established business looking to build an affiliate program, but we dont even know where to begin. So, here is some info on our business, maybe we can just get some good tips on how/where to start?

- Online since 2003
    - Conversion rates between 5-10%
    - Successful PPC campaigns
    - Average sale ~$30
    - 1000+ products
    - In a relatively recession proof industry (at least to this point )

There are a lot of OPMs (outsourced program managers) here at ABW to give you a hand at how things work. Reading the Becoming a Merchant forum would be a good start, especially the stickied posts. One of the best networks to look at is SAS, but I am biased. Good luck!

Hey 2Busy, thanks for taking the time to reply with some suggestions.

Are there any major steps we need to take before starting with a network like SAS. I have been reading a lot of threads in here and trying to learn what the affiliates are looking for, and what they're not. I'd like to avoid any major pitfalls before jumping in with both feet

TIA

Please read and study ALOT before making any decision. Yes SAS is good but know what you are getting yourself into. Do the math at different levels and make sure AffMktg will work for you. You are giving up part of your profit to someone else marketing for you. If you use a network like SAS you are also giving part of your profit for SAS to manage and pay the other person you are giving part of your profit to.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Hello there, IABB. Welcome to ABestWeb. You have already taken one of the recommended steps in working with an affiliate program - you are here.

I have been doing this affiliate marketing "stuff" for ten years and have worked with five of the top networks and a couple of independent programs - as an affiliate. However, when it came to launching our new merchant program in the "checks" niche there was no one I would consider other than ShareASale.

As 2busy mentioned in a prior post - I, too, am biased. I seem to like merchant-friendly attributes like affordability, comprehensive tools, a parasite-resistant policy, accessibility (talking to real people who can make decisions), respect within the community, etc...

Keep reading here, researching and asking questions; and you will surely benefit. Good luck with your program.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Online Marketing Consultant
    Also, be careful which OPMs you use. Lots of them work with Adware that can and will steal from you and others turn a blind eye. Make sure you have all the standard banner sizes, a working datafeed, you set your terms and conditions, find a network that meets your needs, etc... I'm happy to help you with some of this if you would like.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

thanks for the replies! we need some terminology help before we go any further:

OPM - what might this be?

parasites / parastic activity - i keep seeing this around in threads and i get it, its bad. affiliates dont like it. But, what it is?

banner sizes - what are the standards?

I know, i know...VERY basic questions...

Quote Originally Posted by ItsAllBallBearings
    thanks for the replies! we need some terminology help before we go any further:

OPM - what might this be?

parasites / parastic activity - i keep seeing this around in threads and i get it, its bad. affiliates dont like it. But, what it is?

banner sizes - what are the standards?

I know, i know...VERY basic questions...
    Outsourced Program Managers - you can find more information here: http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=236

As much as you don't know you need to contact a OPM to get your program started.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Outsourced Program Manager AdZaz's Avatar
    If you decide to go it on your own you are defiantly in the right place to learn. I will agree with the others, if you do decide to outsource your program SaS is the place to be. However, there are some excellent, inexpensive options available for running your own in-house program as well. Your decision should be based on what you really want to accomplish, and how much control you want to have over the program and how it functions.

If you decide you would like some outside help I would be delighted to talk to you about the affiliate program opportunity and what makes the most sense for your business. I will be in the office bright and early tomorrow!

Best,

Greg Netland
    Tel: 203.200.0317
    @: info [at] AdZaz [dot] com

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Thanks again. been doing a lot of reading the past week and it all seems fairly straight forward, so let me see if i've got it:

1: Decide if we will run in house or through a network. We decided to go with SaS
    2: Determine what program variables work for our business. Check
    3: Prepare materials for affiliates. We have all of this except for the banners. What sizes do we absolutely need to have ready to go? Do most affiliates want banners that are product specific? Or just general for the website?

TIA

As far as banners go I would start with a solid set of general ones, I suggest one for each size of ad accepted by google as a good start.

After you get some stats under your belt I would take a look at what is converting well for your affiliates and offer specialized banners for those products...

Google ad sizes:
    https://www.google.com/adsense/stati..._JTPof69dEsKYQ

Best,

Greg Netland

Quote Originally Posted by AdZaz
    As far as banners go I would start with a solid set of general ones, I suggest one for each size of ad accepted by google as a good start.

After you get some stats under your belt I would take a look at what is converting well for your affiliates and offer specialized banners for those products...

Google ad sizes:
    https://www.google.com/adsense/stati..._JTPof69dEsKYQ

Best,

Greg Netland

OK, so after a great amount of consideration and thought, we are probably going with an OPM approach to launching our program. We just dont want to mess it up as you only get 1 chance at a first impression with affiliate marketers.

Is it safe to assume that an OPM that has their own thread here in ABestWeb is legitimate? Would love to cross that concern off our list while searching for an OPM

Having a forum here means you pay a monthly or annual fee, it does not necessarily mean that the OPM is reputable or legitimate. Reading through the threads and reviewing affiliates experiences while dealing with the OPM may be a better measure of credibility. While I do not have a dedicated ABW forum, I am always here to help if you would like to drop me an email or call to discuss please feel free.

Best,

Greg Netland

There is nothing wrong with the OPM's listed in the OPM forum. They are legitimate and manage many programs that we use. You shouldn't be saying that just to get his business.

How do we know that you are reputable or legitimate?

You can find the OPM forum here: http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=236

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Smile
    There is nothing wrong with the OPM's listed in the OPM forum.
    I did not intend to suggest there was and meant no disrespect to any other OPM's here at ABestWeb. What I stated was a simple and accurate fact that OPM's with their own forum here pay a fee for that privilege, and that simply having a forum does not mean that they are right for any given program, or that they are a reputable company.

I hoped my suggestion:
    Reading through the threads and reviewing affiliates experiences while dealing with the OPM may be a better measure of credibility
    was fair to all OPM's here at ABestWeb and would provide ItsAllBallBearings a better measure of an OPM's capabilities and style.

To be frank, I would love your business ItsAllBallBearings and have been active (and hopefully a little helpful) in this thread since you began it to show that.

To answer BurgerBoy I do not have any way of showing that I am any more or less reputable than any other OPM other than my word and the reputation I am working to build for AdZaz by actively participating and contributing my advice and experience where I believe it can be valuable on this forum and other venues.

Best,

Greg Netland

http and a telephoto
    I recommend that you email a few of the OPMs here at ABW, either with forums or that post here regularly. If you do a search here and don't find anything negative about an OPM that is a good sign. However there are some OPMs that have come and gone from ABW that I wouldn't recommend.

You need to find the OPM that is the right "fit" for your program, which is why I recommend talking to several. If you are looking for a long term relationship vs short term consulting to get going, you want the firm that can represent you well, assist you with getting set up and start recruiting.

I for one won't take your money if your site isn't a good fit or isn't ready for an affiliate program. If I know another OPM is better for you I would recommend them to you.

Look around, read some of the forums and posts and do some research, then put together an email to send to OPMs with information about your site, your current conversions, what you are looking for with your affiliate program and your budget. That will help the OPMs as much as it will help you

Although OPMs pay for their forums, you can't just walk in and drop your dollars and get a forum, the OPMs here are pretty much "vetted" to be able to have a forum here.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thank you.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread