ABW Ambassador
    Checking Your Themes For "Bad Stuff" Code, etc.
    Alright, there was a theme I really like, from cheonnii - http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/techified

Then I read -

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/327566

And that guy said the theme is from technologytricks

So I deleted the cheonnii one and tried the other one. Thing is the other one, technologytricks was actually worse it seemed to me. It had like an extra footer file with a bunch mumbo jumbo code, I guess that was the - "heavy base64 obfuscation" he was talking about? Also with the technologytricks one, the one that is supposed to be the original. I tried deleting the Google ID, it would come right back after I hit save. With cheonii, I didn't have that problem. Also with cheonii, I could take that scrolling pictures stuff from the front page off in the admin area, couldn't with the technologytricks one.

So I put the Cheonii back.

So I went looking for a theme checker and found - http://builtbackwards.com/projects/tac/

First, does anybody know any others? Or does this one look good.

I downloaded it and it went thru my themes.

It either says:

Theme OK - then how many static links it found or
    Encrypted Code Found! - then how many static links it found

So some more questions, I realize Encrypted Code could be either bad or good. And the theme I like Techified 1.0.6 by CheonNii came back Theme OK, 3 static links. So do you think that one will be fine? Because it's a pretty nice free theme but what that other person said in the wordpress forum put some doubt in mind even tho TAC, that plugin said it was ok.
    Last edited by Trust; November 4th, 2009 at 05:34 PM.

That TAC theme checker is great. I need to keep up more on what plugins people are coming up with.

Personally, I only like to use themes that come with with 0, or maybe 1 link on them. And the 1 link can only be back to the designer, not 'acai berry miracle' or something like that.

I don't like themes with encrypted stuff in them either, some of that may be just designed to help the designer protect his work, could be something worse though...

I use mostly plain boring themes, which you can find without the 'funny business' in them. When you start looking for fancier 'free' themes, I think you run into more of it. Maybe worth buying a clean one so you don't have to worry.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    There are plenty of great free themes that don't have encrypted code to worry about.

Tax Paying Member
    I dump those with "mumbo jumbo" in the footer or the header.

I will accept a link back to the designer.......and sometimes back to a relevant blog.......but no more than that.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    I use mostly plain boring themes, which you can find without the 'funny business' in them. When you start looking for fancier 'free' themes, I think you run into more of it. Maybe worth buying a clean one so you don't have to worry.
    Yeah, I've been using the real boring ones to start of with like this one - http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/simplex as you can see it has nice ratings and it's very clean and fast. And with one blog I'm working on, boring works since it's going to be a wikipedia type deal, very informational. Like I posted before when I first started with Wordpress a couple of months ago, I might have spent 20+ hours the first week looking at themes and now I'm working more on the content.

And with the one above, I had downloaded something similar that I'm going to use instead. A very nice theme, free and one of the most popular ones in Wordpress - http://www.arrastheme.com/

And it has lots of options right in the admin area for layout, categories, navigation, design etc. And it's a very clean theme as well, I ran TAC and there's no mumbo jumbo and just the one link in the footer to the theme page which is fine.

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    I have never used a theme checker so thanks for sharing info on that!

On the other hand, I've bought several of my themes and that Cheonnii theme "techified" looks quite a bit like the paid themes by Brian Gardner over at Studiopress.com, especially the footer.

I've got a developer package from him and also the thesis theme for a few things. Brian's themes are nice as there are a variety of them so you can tweak your sites a bit so they don't all look totally cookie cutter but being coded by the same person you are already "in their head" and can customize them fairly quickly because you already know where to look for things and the coding is very very clean and great support. And you don't have to have any links in there at all.

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    One more thought --- i'd vote for zero links! I totally forgot until I was just reading TAC's page that I had a free template that I used last year when I was running for Governing Board Member for our school district and hadn't realized that inbetween the time that I had installed the theme and about 2 months later when my friend was poking thru my site, she clicked on the "Theme by..." link and called me panicked! The person who designed the theme had not renewed their domain and an adult content site picked it up. Not a great experience for someone campaigning for kids and schools. So if you have links, make sure you monitor where they are going

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread