Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    http and a telephoto
    A challenge of sorts was presented in another discussion and I, being the adventurous sort decided to take up the challenge. Alexa is something that I haven't paid much attention to, other than being clued to check my ranking once in a while when I log in to check my Amazon earnings. So when a claim was made that by simply installing the Alexa toolbar on my own computer I could move up 200,000 places I decided to run a test.

Here are the rankings of some of my sites as of today, some good, some aweful:

Cool Craft Sites - 200,483
    Cool Pet Sites - 198,932
    Cool Family Sites - 2,358,634
    Cool Networks - 216,306
    Cool Net - 815,830
    Cool Cat Sites- 564,640

I didn't post the actual urls because I don't want a flood (yeah right!) of ABW traffic to affect the rankings.

I am installing the Alexa toolbar on my computer today and offering the Associate version of the toolbar for download on 2 of the sites (I don't expect people to download it, but it is part of the test )

So let's see in one week if the rankings are up, down, or unchanged.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

When I first started building my datafeed site, with just me and programmer going to the site, we went from in the millions to around 40,000.
    That was with no other visitors.

http and a telephoto
    LOL, sounds like you created a lot of traffic!!!

But I still don't understand what the benefit of a high Alexa ranking is? This is just an experiment, maybe I will see some differences in the other SE's along the way. Does it affect Google PR since it has the built in Google search also?
    Deborah Carney

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So when a claim was made that by simply installing the Alexa toolbar on my own computer I could move up 200,000 places I decided to run a test. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just to clarify, I said that *my* site went up 200,000 in about a week, it wasn't a blanket claim. Obviousely, a higher (lower?) Alexa ranking (high #) would be easier to skew than a site with a better ranking. Alexa uses it's toolbar as a sort of Nielsen-box to guage relative site visits, so assuming you visit your site numereous times per day, having the bar installed will help your ranking. Search WebmasterWorld, it's been discussed at length. Good luck loxly, I'm looking forward to seeing the results!

ABW Ambassador
    Careful what you do with that "toolbar" Loxly.
    Remember it's spyware. It will record clicks you make, log the sites you visit, record purchases you make, remember the contents of forms and searches you fill in and send it all to Amazon. (And this is just what they admit to in their "privacy" statement.)

Call me paranoid, but Amazon wants to snoop on on the web public and people volunteer to let them do it.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    "having the bar installed will help your ranking."

That's just not true. At least it won't help your ranking in any search engine.

ABW Ambassador
    By having the toolbar installed and simply visiting your site a bunch of times per day and surfing around on your pages, you can EASILY push a new site up in ranking to less than 100,000 - if not higher.

Alexa also will skew sites that are heavily visited by Webmasters - as they are more likely to have the toolbar installed.

By and large, I've found my own rankings in Alexa in no way follow my sites traffic trends and flows.

And the funny thing is, on FlamingoWorld, my traffic and sales are up, my my Alexa rankings are slipping lately. Guess I am spending too much time on the new site..

I have found no benefit to having a better ranking on Alexa, it is more of an ego thing, and I know that a lot of merchants don't understand how easily the rankings are skewed and you impress them better with a lower number.

ABW Ambassador
    Alexa really is a joke as far as traffic rankings. When i see someone mention their Alexa ranking, first thing that pops into my mind is amateur. I think the only people in the U.S. who have it installed are affiliates, webmasters etc., not the average computer user(our site visitors)

Good to read.
    http://pages.alexa.com/prod_serv/tra...earn_more.html

So basically the people who have the Alexa toobar are people just like us or people from countries 99% of my merchants don't even ship to.

Also a big clue that Alexa is a joke as far as traffic rankings are when your own site stats can say your traffic is going up while Alexa says they're going down. My site stats don't lie

ABW Ambassador
    &gt;When i see someone mention their Alexa ranking, first thing that pops into my mind is amateur.

Or a MEDIA MOGUL trying to F with his members.

ABW Ambassador
    Proves my point

I agree with Trust. The funny thing is when we were accepted as a merchant at CJ one of their primary acceptance criteria was my Alexa rating. Ridiculous!

http and a telephoto
    Well, if using the bar moves you up as much as it is supposed to I should have a site in the top 500 by next week... LOL
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NorthernStudio:
    Careful what you do with that "toolbar" Loxly.
    Remember it's spyware. It will record clicks you make, log the sites you visit, record purchases you make, remember the contents of forms and searches you fill in and send it all to Amazon. (And this is just what they admit to in their "privacy" statement.)

Call me paranoid, but Amazon wants to snoop on on the web public and people volunteer to let them do it.

Wayne <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll use Netscape for shopping! Thanks for the heads up.
    Deborah Carney

&gt;&gt;we went from in the millions to around 40,000.

i do not believe we can influence Alexa ranking that much.

Connie, i think your site traffic did go up a lot other than using the toolbar.

http and a telephoto
    From reading the page Trust posted and going to my cafe press shops and seeing that all of cafe press/cafe shops site has a 676, my browsing alone should kick them up a couple of hundred places in the next week.

Yes, this is a flawed system and in a week we'll see how flawed...

So only other businesses care about Alexa ratings, and they really don't mean a darn thing at all.
    Deborah Carney

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vrindavan:
    &gt;&gt;we went from in the millions to around 40,000.

i do not believe we can influence Alexa ranking that much.

Connie, i think your site traffic did go up a lot other than using the toolbar. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No one else was going to the site. The numbers were great before we even had the site live!

With me and my programmer working on the site 12 hours a day it did influence the numbers that much.
    Just having a web based admin and building the site skewed the numbers that much.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    Alexa really is a joke as far as traffic rankings. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't agree more...ALexa rankings are junk! They have NOTHING to do with traffic. This topic came up in another forum on ABW when a merchant said one requirement was a high ALexa rating. And Alexa definately is spyware, Adaware hates it!

Not entierly junk i feel, but almost.
    I've been keeping an eye on mine since last oct after some work on my site,

24.10.03 - 1,572,304
    15.11.03 - 1,857,935 drop of 294,489 at the time
    2.12.03 - 1,302,732 jump of 555,203 at the time

I put these changes down to google changes during November and some changes to my site. My google rankings improved from then as well as traffic and sales increasing.

It steadily increased since then and now it's around the 200,000 mark even though I didn't install the toolbar until late in March.

Funniest thing I seen today though was while checking my Alexa ranking at their site they have 1 nice adsense ad from enigmasoftwaregroup.com saying

Remove Alexa from browser
    get rid of ALEXA browser spyware Scan your PC for free now.

I notice this is an Aff. Ad. Own up, Who done it ?
    It gave me a laugh anyway

Also noticed my site has been allocated an ASIN number so I can shop for it at Amazon should I wish to puchase 1 used crappy affilaite site.

My Alexa rankings are in the 20,000's but when I go on vacation they drop to 80,000. In fact it has been fun looking at the annual graph seeing it reflect very accurately the times we have been away from the site!

ABW Ambassador
    I generally block Alexa and the ia_archiver or whatever it's called. Their 'waybackmachine' has no right to store old copies of anything I put online!

Found my stats -

March 25 - 729,311
    March 26 - Installed Alexa Toolbar
    March 31 - 568,883
    April 9 - 466,939

Your mileage may vary!

http and a telephoto
    I gave up, I can't stand another tool bar, it was in the way and bugging me, so TEST OVER!!! LOL, I guess I will never know if it would have helped...
    Deborah Carney

Don't worry about quiting the test. Alexa is one of the most moronic things to ever sucker the webmaster community. The only toolbar rating system worth squat is google's pagerank meter and that doesn't have anything to do with traffic.

I had an alexa rating of in the 70,000 range and the site got about 10 visitors daily. They were all webmasters and found it from my forum posts on the old CJ boards.

10 people can easily skew results big time and one person can definately get themselves within the 200k range.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SamyT:
    I generally block Alexa and the ia_archiver or whatever it's called. Their 'waybackmachine' has no right to store old copies of anything I put online! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love the Wayback Machine! It's saved my neck a couple of times now!

It's not often, but sometimes I want to resurrect an old version of one of my pages--but have overwritten all my copies with a new version.

Another reason I don't mind them is because, unlike a rotten site thief, they leave my aff IDs alone! Plus they're not giving the impression that they had anything to do with producing my site.

If it was under any other conditions, I'd be the first to blast them with all guns!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast