Unhappy Crisis with Thunderbird POP3 e-mail program
    Please help: For years I have been using Mozilla Thunderbird as an e-mail program without any problems. Lately Thunderbird was slow and/or I've been having problems with it.

Last night with the program opened I clicked on e-mail headers but could not read the messages.
    I downloaded the latest release of Thunderbird without reading release notes. Now I can't open Thunderbird at all.

As a desperate measure to have some type of working e-mail program, I downloaded a different e-mail client, Pegasus Mail. I set Pegasus Mail so subsequent e-mails can be delivered to it, but I have tons of unread e-mails in my Thunderbird and now I can't read them. I also have a long list of e-mail addresses that I can not access. I have many saved e-mails in folders within this program.

Can anyone tell me how I can have access to e-mails I downloaded to the Thunderbird program that will not open or run for me now? Or how can I get Thunderbird to work again?

Thank you.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    From my experience the mail settings and Mail from Tbird can be moved from one install to another.

I suggest backing up all of the Mozilla folder now before working on this anymore.

Then possibly try getting Tbird working on another user on that machine or another computer. Then insert the folder with all your mail onto the new install that works.

It will probably see it all. This will get you back working.

Then I would probably remove the bad install that is corrupted, do a registry clean and reboot a few times and reinstall Tbird there. Then do the same thing with your mail folder.

If you dont understand this and accept the risk please do not follow my instructions. Maybe ask someone or pay someone.

And remember nothing is backed up unless it is backed up at least twice.

andbeyond, thank you for your help.
    I'm still working on this problem and your advice is appreciated.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Can you do a restore with Windows? Not sure if that will work on TB or not. Andbeyond is right about backups. I thought I had a good plan until my hard drive crashed. I got up and running ok but I lost 24 hours worth of emails. Now, I set Outlook to leave messages on the server for 7 days, backup to a local external drive every 2 hours and an online service every night.

Make sure to backup your email folders before trying anything, though.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    I think Greg is right.

I would to a restore from a few days ago or the last time you remember it running correctly...

I had this happen not long ago, did a restore and all was good.

My problem arose from importing a bad email from Outlook Express.

Hope you get it worked out.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice
    Make sure to backup your email folders before trying anything, though.
    To tell the truth, I'm not sure if I really know how to back up the e-mail folders
    Plus I've uninstalled and re-installed a few times.

I set the preferences of my ISP e-mail to hold a copy and to send a copy to a gmail address.

I downloaded Pegasus but that program is sending an alert about a lock from another program -- so maybe I should just uninstall Thunderbird for good.
    Pop3 Pegasus is getting the recent mails.

I chose the word "crisis" because it looks as if my Thunderbird program is fried and can't be used -- one gets used to a certain system after years of use -- I must have been using TB for at least 5 years and then suddenly whack!! -- it doesn't work anymore.
    I checked the Mozilla/TB support forum and found their "support" to be really really confusing.

I'm upset about the loss of the "Address Book" I had built up within that TB program, but sometimes people have to start over
    The situation could be worse.
    At least my computer is working & I have an Internet connection.

Thanks to everyone who reached out. Your help and thoughtful words mean a lot
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Do a search for Thunderbird profile location for your OS (vista or xp) Just use windows explorer and find it and copy it to a safe place. The whole directory. This is what you should have been backing up.

Now you can uninstall your entire TBird and start fresh. Go to http://forums.mozillazine.org/ and ask questions and get the exact details of what I described so loosely. You should be able to get going with Thunderbird again with address book and all. Don't give up it's still a great program.

I was really upset by the fact that my Thunderbird e-mail program wouldn't open or run for me

I had messages on it archived into folders dating back to 2003: some messages were important to me for sentimental and fun reasons plus I have many archived messages from affiliate programs.

Some wonderful person wrote great directions that I was able to follow
    Here's the solution:
    http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_m...#reply_1554656

My Thunderbird e-mail program works beautifully now plus I didn't lose any of the information that is important to me
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I'd like to thank everyone who reached out to help me
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I'd like to thank everyone who reached out to help me
    Nothing like a happy ending. Glad for you.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread