Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    customization not taking
    Is there any way we can get our changes and customization of pages to work?

This has been an ongoing issue and it's frustrating, time wasting and seems to be fixable.

Basically, if I make changes to a shop, they should change but they usually don't. If I move a product it looks as if it's moved but when I drop it in a page or go back to Pop Shops to see why it didn't "take" it's as if I never moved it.

Another issue that has been ongoing and not fixed is that when I make a customization to a shop, it sometimes reverts back to the default font size/color/whatever. The shop looks fine in the preview on Pop Shops but something seems to stick it with the default look. This doesn't happen on all pages so it's especially weird.

I have no idea what the problem is, where the fix would be or why this happens but it seems to me someone who has the technical knowledge could fix these problems and make your customers a lot happier.
    Last edited by Rexanne; November 6th, 2009 at 03:46 AM. Reason: typo
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Just out of curiosity, what browser are you using to generate your shops?

If I move a product it looks as if it's moved but when I drop it in a page or go back to Pop Shops to see why it didn't "take" it's as if I never moved it.
    My work-around is to go ahead and "Pop It In", then come back to it in a few minutes and redo it. I usually have something else on my list to do while I'm in there, and the second edit will fix the problem.

This happens for me many times and if the go away and come back later doesn't work I create a new shop and update my page with the new code

Actually, the more I think about it, always creating a new shop might be the best solution. Update the page with the new code and delete the old shop
    CharPaula
    Staying focused on the bottomline

Quote Originally Posted by charpaula
    This happens for me many times and if the go away and come back later doesn't work I create a new shop and update my page with the new code

Actually, the more I think about it, always creating a new shop might be the best solution. Update the page with the new code and delete the old shop
    Wow. I can't say as I've gone that route. I have, however, found that a stuck cache will mess with my head and make me THINK things aren't behaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfern
    Just out of curiosity, what browser are you using to generate your shops?
    Firefox
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

That seems like an awful lot of work. To create each shop takes me hours. to have to do it all over again seems insane! ???
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Lightbulb Cache, cache, more cache, and data gremlins
    Well, there's at least two layers of caching going on then: Firefox's (for me, that's found in Preferences/Advanced/Network tab as "Offline Storage") and PopShops', which is normally highly responsive for me.

On the rare occasion where the problem has narrowed down to PopShops' side, it has almost always coincided with a network problem. A traceroute will show any spots along the route that are slowing things down. Far as I know, the only cure for that is patience and a good cup of tea.

On the even more rare occasion when the problem persists and the traceroute is clear, I've emailed support@ and Dan has smacked any cached shops back in line for me very quickly.

Firefox cache has been notoriously bad for me lately. I've just gotten the 3.5.5 upgrade, and perhaps that will make it act better. As it is now, most of the time when a PopShops shop is refusing to behave, the problem has been in Firefox's cache. Once cleared, the shop has behaved.

A third possibility, if you're running a PHP/Smarty site, is stuck .tpl.php files in the templates_c directory, although that won't impact your shop unless you're not seeing updates on your site when you -are- seeing them at PopShops. Clearing the problem files from that directory will force Smarty to recompile the pages the next time they're loaded.

Actually there might be a fourth possibility, and that might be if you just happen to be working on a shop and merchant at the very instant when that merchant's feed is being actively uploaded. I'm guessing on that one - Techie Gurus: please feel free to correct me to your hearts' content! - and I bet PopShops would not be where it is today without mastering the intricacies of file- and record-locking LONG ago.

So ok, it's probably data gremlins. Two of the ones that usually mess with my online calendar and checkbook have gone missing last week; they may have taken up residence under your keyboard.

Wow CaseyFern, thank you so much for taking the time to explain all this. I never clear my cache for fear of losing all the stored passwords I'd never remember without keeping them cached. LOL - Might have to suffer and do that now. :-)

Ihave the latest Firefox installed, too. Has been happening all along and new browser isn't helping. :-(

Doesn't seem to be any gremlins here otherwise ... maybe they went somewhere else. Glad you got rid of them!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Clearing your cookies will erase all your passwords but cache shouldn't.

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    That seems like an awful lot of work. To create each shop takes me hours. to have to do it all over again seems insane! ???
    I keep very good records so its pretty quick for me to recreate a shop. I have found in the long run it is the quickest way to get the new pages live.... and that for me is what it is all about

Is it a PITA? Didn't say it wasn't
    CharPaula
    Staying focused on the bottomline

Ah, for me the passwords thingie is in Preferences under the Security icon. Good thing, too, since I can't recall them half the time.

Nope, in Firefox, passwords are not impacted by cache clearance.

Thankfully, cookie clearance doesn't seem to impact passwords either - for me, cookie clearance is in Preferences under Privacy/History, and Show Cookies brings up a nice management window. I have yet to have the nerve to Remove All Cookies. But when I've had problems with a particular site, it's easy to find site-related cookies and nuke discreetly.

Quote Originally Posted by joyaz
    Clearing your cookies will erase all your passwords but cache shouldn't.
    Oh DUH - thank you for pointing out the obvious. I really hadn't considered it. GAWD! LOL

Just cleared my cache. Feels so liberating!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I keep very good records so its pretty quick for me to recreate a shop. I have found in the long run it is the quickest way to get the new pages live.... and that for me is what it is all about

Is it a PITA? Didn't say it wasn't
    It shouldn't have to be this way. The damn changes *should* stick.

The point is, there needs to be a fix at pop Shops for this. Sure wish someone from Pop Shops would take this seriously. Seems they don't want to face these problems and that's unnerving.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread