Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    For all those who are fulltime, are you able to do it fulltime due to using ppc?

and if so how much do you invest per month into your site or sites?

do most of you who are fulltime use a bit of both?

sorry forgot to add, if there was no PPC and you had to rely on se optimzation , could you still be fulltime like you are now?

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, you do realize there are other ways besides PPC and SE's to get traffic to your site?

ABW Ambassador
    SEO/SEM is best and PPC acts as an insurance policy.

Budgets - hehehe

There is a poster here at ABW who is the #1 adwords spender in Europe

What are the others ways of generating traffic other than PPC, SE, and mailing list? Other than published advertising, I am not sure if I am aware of any others, hence my inexperience.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shiner25:
    sorry forgot to add, if there was no PPC and you had to rely on se optimzation , could you still be fulltime like you are now? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That IS how I do it now...

Needless to say I wouldn't dream of having just one site!

I started out with PPC but Overture became a royal PITA and by the time AdWords came into existence, I had gone to SEO.

I'm not against PPC, and I'd use it if I had to, but I like SEO a lot better.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

in regards to PPC, I go by the ideal that if for every $1 I invest it returns $2, then I keep on that track. Otherwise it's just not worth it for me.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> sorry forgot to add, if there was no PPC and you had to rely on se optimzation , could you still be fulltime like you are now? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I think I'd probably get by

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    Yes, you do realize there are other ways besides PPC and SE's to get traffic to your site? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

what other ways are there then.. i know link partners and forums and newsgroups, what else

So everyone who is fulltime ultimately is relying on pay per click then?

if so which ones...

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So everyone who is fulltime ultimately is relying on pay per click then?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

EH ? I think everyone who has posted so far has said they are NOT relying on PPC at all.

Mark: Like your first comment.

As for this one, note that NO one else has answered the question, "Hey, how do I bring traffic besides using PPC and SEO". Care to step in? I know you can do it! While you are at it, what is the difference between SEO and SEM?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markymark:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So everyone who is fulltime ultimately is relying on pay per click then?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

EH ? I think everyone who has posted so far has said they are NOT relying on PPC at all. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, no PPC here now. I haven't relied on it in ages!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

http and a telephoto
    I don't use PPC. I started one PPC campaign this week, but it is not for my AM stuff. Here's a tip: DON'T bid on the terms "greeting cards" at Overture unless you want all your money to disappear REALLY fast. (Overture is investigating). I happened to be on my site when the campaign started and watched 200 clicks in less than an hour from a concentration of sites with IP addresses in the third world... Those are BAD affiliates...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I could live comfortably on my SEO-only effort and I'm only doing this part time. I build a page or two a day with an investment of about 2 hours daily. I started out on a slow growth curve didn't expect overnight success. Patience and persistance has produced a great supplemental income and could easily replace my other business. Traffic and conversion rate have steadily grown over a 3 year period with a few seasonal dips and bumps along the way.
    ~Ernie

FWIW I don't use PPC either.

If you build a site that offers true value to the visitor, with some kind of uniqueness, then they'll come back and they'll tell their friends/colleagues.

Other ways, well, if you've time - getting links (remember the days when you solicited links so people would click on them and visit your site?)

Sensible and ethical contributions to online disussions (lists, etc.)

Build your own permission-based in-house email list.

Syndicate content (redistribution of articles, RSS feeds etc.)

PR - press releases and media networking.

Any one of hundreds of forms of paid on- and offline advertising, if the maths works out.

etc.

One site I use only SEO/SEM - The other two are too new to achieve sufficient traffic levels without aid of PPC. I use Google AdWords, primarily, and the minimum spend on Overture each month.

Still can't make a living off of AM but making steady progress.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Used to use overture, but then they started working with Gator through their Search Scout program, I believe, and I stopped advertising through them because of that. They were too darn pricey anyways.

I use adwords, and seasonally I will use PPC heavily in October/November/December.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

I'm full time. This is my only source of income and I have never used PPC. I don't like gambling.

Why buy the cow when you can get the milk free?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    Gambling??

PPC is very useful.

Great addition to free traffic and traffic from other sources.

If i get 6 cents off a 5 cent click, that's 20%. Not too many places you can get that kind of return and if you target right the return can be even higher. But it's something you need to practice/learn and keep an eye on.

I use it to quickly test out merchants. For example i just added a couple of SAS merchants to my sites this week. Threw a flurry of PPC at them, then converted, they now have a place on my site.

Free traffic is great And PPC is nice too.

ABW Ambassador
    Ian wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>what is the difference between SEO and SEM? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With SEO, you just pay me; with SEM, you pay me, Overture and AdWords.

ABW Ambassador
    Advertising Budget = $0 100% SE Fulltime

Sounds like the question should be rephrased to if you had to rely on ppc could you still be fulltime aff marketer. My answer would be a big fat no. PPC works good to suplement income for me but I can't seem to make a real go of it due to profitablity and competition issues as well as limited budget to work with to make it all worth while.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Sounds like the question should be rephrased to if you had to rely on ppc could you still be fulltime aff marketer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I expect I probably could be a fulltime aff. marketer if I just relied on PPC. Only problem is I'd be an extremely poor one, living in a cardboard box under the Embankment tube station.

ABW Ambassador
    Does SEM really work...the services provided by third party companies...are they really successful at placement?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast