Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2009
    Which tax information to choose?
    I signed up to cj today and I live outside of United States. There are two options I can choose for tax:

    Certification Of No United States Activities

    W-8BEN Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding

    If I use a webhost from USA, does that mean I should choose "
    W-8BEN Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding"? If I do that, shall I pay taxes to USA? What happens if I choose "Certification Of No United States Activities" and get a webhost from USA later?

    Thanks for the replies in advance.

  2. #2
    I like traffic lights
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    You only need to choose the W-8BEN if you OWN a server in the USA (co location) or you pay people in the USA to do work for you.

    If you only RENT a server in the USA, you can go with the Certification Of No United States Activities".

    If they made you fill out a W8-BEN for a server rental, you'd also have to fill one out when you hired a car while visiting the USA. Which wouldn't make any sense.

  3. #3
    ABW Ambassador La_Valette's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2005
    The Pale Blue Dot
    There seem to be some misunderstandings here.

    First of all, taxes are due where work is performed. If you're outside the USA, you most likely don't owe the USA anything - but you probably owe your own country something if your own country collects income taxes.

    Whether you own, rent, or crave a server in the USA is irrelevant as far as I know. The work is being done elsewhere. Servers don't do work by themselves.

    I believe the W8-BEN confirms that you're overseas and don't owe the USA anything, so it's probably a good form to file if you fit that description.

    Note of caution: I'm not a tax expert and none of this is professional tax advice. I think I'm right but I could be completely wrong
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

  4. #4
    I like traffic lights
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    La Vallette,

    Please read

    There is no need to fill out a W8-BEN if you have no US activities. A statement to that effect is all that is required.

  5. #5
    Newbie sava's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2nd, 2010
    So is there any real and 100% answer?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    February 8th, 2008
    London, UK. Innit!
    I'm from the UK and all my money is made in the USA (so are my expenses, server etc.) I pay taxes to the UK government.

    I had to fill out a W8-BEN, you can do it electronically with CJ at least I did 6 years ago.

    Filling this out means you won't be paying taxes to the US, I don't.

    (Do your own research, I'm no expert)
    Last edited by alphawave; January 28th, 2011 at 09:40 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2008
    if you rent hosting account , or VPS in US, you just sign the non us activities form. If you buy a sever , and host it on some data center , you have to pay tax to US authorities.

    Here is some terms from Google , I think it also works for CJ .

    Please sign and testify to the following information. By clicking Submit information you agree that:

    Publisher represents and warrants that it does not have any employees or equipment located in the United States ("U.S. Activities") that are involved in any way with the revenue that has been or will be earned by Publisher pursuant to the Google AdSense Online Program. U.S. Activities include, but are not limited to, owning a web server or owning a hosting service in the U.S., or having employees in the U.S. who are involved in either:

    1. setting up Publisher's web server, hosting service, or website
    2. developing content for Publisher's website
    3. marketing to create a user base for Publisher's site
    4. telephone support for Publisher's site
    5. buying products for Publisher's site
    6. maintaining Publisher's site
    Generally, utilizing an unrelated third-party U.S. web hosting service to host your web pages, renting web servers that are located in the U.S. from an unrelated third party, or having your payment sent to a U.S. Post Office Box or mail forwarding address, do not of themselves constitute U.S. Activities.

    If you do not have U.S. Activities, please visit the Tax Information page under your My Account tab where you will agree to a statement to that effect. No tax forms are required in this instance.

  8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. tax information re-submission?
    By paulwall in forum Commission Junction - CJ
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: February 13th, 2014, 03:20 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: November 24th, 2009, 01:47 PM
  3. Tax Information
    By oven in forum Rakuten LinkShare - LS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 10th, 2008, 02:01 PM
  4. information on tax deduction.
    By jc101 in forum Virtual Family and Off-Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: June 4th, 2003, 10:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts