Comparing Merchants on a new site
    superCool started a blog-style site a few months ago and has been having mixed results. so far superCool has mainly been building content and getting some visits through search and from a few forum posts. there is a plan to promote the site more but waiting until the site is more well rounded.

lot's of questions here....

there are not very many quality merchants for the main topic of the site. superCool has tried 3 main merchants and the results have been very different. the merchants are all promoted in the same way and have an equal chance of making the sale. you can see that they have each received approximately the same number of clicks. they are all trusted name-brand sites that you would expect to convert. my site helps to review and compare the products and the merchants, so it would not work well to remove the poor performers. superCool needs at least a few merchants to make it work.

what can superCool learn from these statistics? is this enough data to go by?

Merchant 1 (GAN) 250 clicks / 9 sales / $230 avg amount
    Merchant 2 (CJ 4 bar) 230 clicks / 1 sale / $80 avg amount
    Merchant 3 (CJ 3 bar) 215 clicks / 0 sales / $0 avg amount

do you think the poor performers are duds? is something really going on with CJ (losing / stealing clicks / parasites / etc.)? the GAN merchant is blowing them away and it makes superCool think the others are just not tracking properly. superCool did not include the tracking pixel image on some of the CJ links - could that be causing missed sales? would the clicks track but the sales not track?

Thanks for any advice,
    superCool

I never use the CJ tracking pixil and my CJ sales track.

And with GAN, are they going to cancel you account and not pay you for the sales when they come due. Hundreds of affiliates have had their accounts canceled by them.

Have you read the threads about it here?

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

http and a telephoto
    Go to each merchant and check their site for "distractions" popups or bad shopping cart experiences.

Check the parasites sites for your merchants and see if they are listed.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    "Merchant 1 (GAN) 250 clicks / 9 sales / $230 avg amount"

It's clear that one is doing the best.

"And with GAN, are they going to cancel you account and not pay you for the sales when they come due. Hundreds of affiliates have had their accounts canceled by them."

Only if you can't get an Adsense account for some reason. If you can, you should get paid.

As far as parasites, I'm sure the GAN merchant he's doing good with has them. So that's probably not it, all kinds of reasons I could think of before that.

As far as the two that aren't going well, it's hard to say unless people knew who they were and then they could compare notes, let you know how they're converting with them or any possible problems. I realize some people don't want to give that away for whatever reason but it would be helpful.

superCool was not sure if it was a good idea to use the merchant names, but here they are. doesn't seem like it would hurt anything.

Merchant 1 Cabela's (GAN) 250 clicks / 9 sales / $230 avg amount
    Merchant 2 Bass Pro (CJ 4 bar) 230 clicks / 1 sale / $80 avg amount
    Merchant 3 West Marine (CJ 3 bar) 215 clicks / 0 sales / $0 avg amount

no problems with Adsense or GAN yet

the reason superCool mentioned the pixel is that when you get a product link for BassPro it specifically says to use the code exactly as it is shown, including the image.
    You must include all the above html in your links. Any missing html, including the image source, will prevent the link from tracking properly and result in a loss of commissions.
    superCool left the image off after reading here that it would be ok - was using a jump script and that made images difficult to manage. seems like if the click tracks then the sale would track - no? moving away from the jump script for now since it doesn't seem to have much of an effect.

thanks for your responses

The 1x1 image with each link is for CJ's use so they can be nosy and track and see everything you're doing ( impressions ) and spy on you. It has nothing to do with sales tracking.

Using a jump script never did anything for me either - except even though it was banned in the robots.txt - Google would follow it and index the jump as a page and then stall on my sites because it didn't know what to do with it.

When I changed to regular links instead of jump G starting indexing my sites ok again.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Update - finally made the first sale for merchant 3 (West Marine). $600+ sale - maybe things are ok?

thanks for your continued input

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    Good things come to those who wait?? Congrats on the sale!

I don't see anything in your sample conversion data that reflects terribly different than my experiences with those brands. Like Trust said, one is just converting better than the others. Its probably more about their sites rather than the network.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread