Issue with Popshops WordPress plug-in
    Not sure if anyone has any insight, but I just had to deactivate the PopShops plugin on all my sites as it was causing major issues with the database connections.

I love the ease of use of the plugin, but not at the expense of site performance or uptime.

Anyone else have this issue?

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Before I stopped using the service, I only had trouble with the plugin giving really frightening looking errors whenever it couldn't connect to the Popshops server. I never had it interrupt access to the database.

I highly recommend Sniplets plugin. I don't use the PopShops WP plugin anymore, after finding 22 copies of one shop "attached" to one page. Sniplets has a bit of a learning curve, but once you figure out the basics, it is well worth it for putting shops where YOU want them, instead of at the end of a page or post.

ABW Ambassador
    Alright, looks like I'll be removing the plugin as well. Now seeing the database connections problem as I was making a post just now.

If you're going with Sniplets and want me to write up a short bit on my process of putting shops in place, I'll be glad to do so. Just say so in this thread and it'll be the next thing I post.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks. I'm not sure if I need that one, I've only been using Popshops for one blog on a couple of posts and I also downloaded the Exec-PHP plugin, so I can just grab the popshops code and put the php anywhere in the post. So I think that's all I need but not for sure.

Yep, that's one of the main things Sniplets will do. I'm not familiar with Exec-PHP but it sounds like it gets to the same gate by a slightly different path.

I was wondering why my clicks are down today. Looks like the sites are connecting to popshops very slowly. I've been adding products using a tag I found in a message from Jesse: [popshops]shop#[/popshops]

If you don't use the plugin how do you get the products onto the pages using straight php?
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

ABW Ambassador
    If you download the Exec-PHP plugin, you just get the PHP code from PopShops and paste it where you want the shop to be. That's it basically.

Gary and a few others mentioned it before and some using it instead of the PopShops plugin - http://forum.abestweb.com/search.php?searchid=2049561

Ok, I understand that makes sense. I would however suggest using PHP Execute instead as it doesn't require turning off the visual editor. I tried Exec-PHP some time back and it felt awkward to me without having the 'kitchen sink' available.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/...cution-plugin/
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

ABW Ambassador
    That one looks even better, will give that one a try.

What version of WordPress are you using PHP Execution on? I just went to install it and got a warning about compatibility. I am on 2.8.5.

I just downloaded that PHP Execution Plugin today.

It does not give me an error and I have 2.8.5 also.

However the script does not work for my blog. When I go and post the php script you can see the php symbol in the view mode, but when I go to save, it just posts the entire script instead of executing it.

Sorry for the late reply.. I've spent all day working on a site that had some datafeed import problems.

I've got it working on 2.8.5 the PHP Execution version is 1.00, if you have a newer version, try downgrading to 1.00.

If you are still having problems, change from visual to html view and be sure the php tags are not being converted.
    <?php
    as the opening tag and
    ?>
    as the closing tag.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Thanks for the tips on PHP Execution.

Personally, I use the HTML view for writing and editing WP posts/pages anyway, so it is no real benefit for me to use PHP Execution in that regard.

Does this plugin hold any real advantages then over EXEC-PHP for me? I've used the Exec-PHP pretty much forever, so I hesitate to change if using the visual editor is not really significant for me.

Any bells and whistles I'd be missing?
    Generate more fake news.

These?

Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by knight01

I've got it working on 2.8.5 the PHP Execution version is 1.00, if you have a newer version, try downgrading to 1.00.

If you are still having problems, change from visual to html view and be sure the php tags are not being converted. as the opening tag and as the closing tag.
    I have that same version for PHP Execution 1.00 and WP 2.8.5.

I also always work in html view.

So I think perhaps it is interfering with some other plugins I have. I may try the other one EXEC-PHP but no biggie here for me. Otherwise I am using javascript instead. I'd rather keep my other plugins which I think are more impt than php in my posts.

Sorry about the "bells and whistles" response.

More seriously. I had used EXEC-PHP on several W/P sites with great success. But after a while I reverted back to the JavaScript implementation from PopShops. That way I could write my own original narrative "around" the displays - have a lot of (the merchant-supplied) info for my visitors to see - and, yet, not have to worry about any duplicate content penalties at all.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread