Twitter Overload
    Well, I've managed to finally do it. There's so many REAL conversations going on in Twitter related to our product sets that I think I've actually snapped from reading them all and figuring out which ones to act on/join in.

I'm using TweetDeck right now, and it's doing a decent job for me.

Is there a better alternative for a business trying to manage relevant conversations in the social space? (Twitter in particular)
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    Talked it about a little in this thread - http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=119098

If you have one Twitter account I guess Tweetdeck is good, if you need to follow multiple Twitter accounts, Twirl, Twitterific ....

http and a telephoto
    Twirl is good, but I actually have to dedicate a computer to it when I have it on. Can't use it on a computer I am actually working on because it is too distracting. I can turn off sounds but not the pop ups. And they stack... lol.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Ugh, no thanks to pop ups, especially if they stack
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Ugh, no thanks to pop ups, especially if they stack
    They are the little message sized ones, like you get with skype or yahoo im.
    Deborah Carney

Oh, yeah. TweetDeck pops those too, but they don't stack. Every 3 seconds though depending on how many hashtags I'm trying to watch.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Just beware of spammy direct messasges that have links to bad places
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Thanks Vinny. Good advice. It's been my experience that 99% of the good Twitter conversations I have been in have been public, and not DM's. I don;t get too many of those anyhow.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

"Just beware of spammy direct messasges that have links to bad places"
    yeap, been happening to a whole lot of people and some have had a really hard time gettin their accounts back

Kevin
    Not sure if you don't want the notifications from tweetdeck or not? In case ya didn't know tho, if you don't want them you can uncheck em all under the settings and won't get them.

I'm still not big into twitter, and never really tried any of the services mentioned. I started using hootsuite.com in August and it does a good job allowing my to monitor multiple twitter accounts and see mentions and reply to them.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

I, too, don't care for DMs and I would never follow a DM link unless I really, really know the person who sent it to me. As far as I'm concerned, Twitter could do away with the DM functionality. The public discussions are where it's at.

AND - don't you just love the followers with stats like this: 0 followers
    1 tweet, following 611 people, You just KNOW where that one's going...
    Last edited by Bill; November 11th, 2009 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Received a "follower notice" just after posting - added a comment about THAT...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    I think Hootsuite.com is the best for businesses. It allows you to include multiple accounts, track stats and report on them visually, monitor keywords and brand conversation and create groups. All the benefits of Tweetdeck plus more.

I use tweetdeck and hootsuite, but being an information junky, no matter what I use, I still get overwhelmed. It goes in waves for me. Some days I'm on it and others I just don;t have the time to concentrate on the conversations.
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    Global Perfomance Marketing. Global Niche Markets = Opportunity!
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

I dwell in possibility. ~Emily Dickinson

Go ahead, call me a "Luddite" if you wish -- but I killed my Twitter account about 8 months ago and have never regretted it.

Okay, I did actually open a new Twitter account 3 weeks or so ago, but I actually never use it. In fact, I had some spammer idiot, as near as I could tell, trying to follow me on Twitter. The person hit my account about 8 times and I kept ignoring him. Other than that, I haven't done a single thing with the new account -- and my life still goes on. LOL!

Twitter, I don't care what anyone says, is a monumental time waster. Even those who find it useful would admit it 1) takes real skill and enormous devotion of time to get any value out of it, and, 2) it takes real skill and enormous devotion of time to get any value out of it. LOL!

When I hear loxly actually talk about using a separate computer to avoid some of the Twitter distractions, I ask myself one more time: Can it REALLY be worth it?

Nah. In fact, I have recommitted to the only lasting, effective business model I know -- steady, regular creation of good content to draw traffic. And that has actually been the reason I've spent less time in recent weeks here or at other forums.

Tweet. Tweet. Nah, not fer me anyway. LOL!
    Last edited by writerguy; April 9th, 2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Corrected a typo
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post
    Go ahead, call me a "Luddite" if you wish -- but I killed my Twitter account about 8 months ago and have never regretted it.
    I have to agree. Call me a technophobic or whatever, but I just don't get Twitter.
    Who has the time??
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post

Okay, I did actually open a new Twitter account 3 weeks or so ago, but I actually never use it. In fact, I had some spammer idiot, as near as I could tell, trying to follow me on Twitter. The person hit my account about 8 times and I kept ignoring him. Other than that, I haven't done a single thing with the new account -- and my life still goes on. LOL!

Twitter, I don't care what anyone says, is a monumental time waster. Even those who find it useful would admit it 1) takes real skill and enormous devotion of time to get any value out of it, and, 2) it takes real skill and enormous devotion of time to get any value out of it. LOL!

When I hear loxly actually talk about using a separate computer to avoid some of the Twitter distractions, I ask myself one more time: Can it REALLY be worth it?

Nah. In fact, I have recommitted to the only lasting, effective business model I know -- steady, regular creation of good content to draw traffic. And that has actually been the reason I've spent less time in recent weeks here or at other forums.

Tweet. Tweet. Nah, not fer me anyway. LOL!
    But then how are you going to keep up to date with everybody's foursquare updates?

Haven't been much on it lately either, busy working.

http and a telephoto
    Twitter is very good for some things and very much a waste for others and 4square is a total waste unless you are a brick and mortar and know what you are doing. I really don't want to know where everybody is every minute and I'm unfollowing people who were updating constantly.

I use Hootsuite and don't use a separate computer anymore, that was actually very short-lived. Twirl made me crazy, lol. (I wrote that in November? Dang, a LOT has changed since then!)
    Deborah Carney

I'm a Twitter fan myself, and not just for business. I think it's a great medium for many things, including networking and information gathering. I'm at the point that I find it faster to ask something on Twitter than search for it on Google. A lot depends on the kind of following you build, IMO. If you stick to other web marketers, it can get dull and useless - everyone seems to be trying to promote their site and nothing else.

I use Tweetdeck btw and it's great. I have three Twitter accounts though I only actively use one (another is for site announcement and says so and one is inactive). I have to say it doesn't distract me too much - I just look when I see there's a mention or when I have some spare minutes to socialize with people.

I actually enjoy the exchanges about anything be it parenthood, religion, jokes or politics. I take an active part and those and have made some great online friends. Then when I actually tweet out something about my sites, and ask people to RT, I get a lot of genuine help.

Gary I am glad you are focusing on content. Twitter doesn't take up much time at all, I could see how it could become a time waster. If you want I will type up a little guide on how I am using twitter and send it over to you.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread