hey there can anyone explain why sometimes you ask for a link to be placed on a person site, they say yes and add you but then when you go to check your link its not direct like its not

www.whatever.com

its like

theredomain.com/asp?=yoursite

or

theredomain.com/cgi?=yousite

nothing gets on my wick that seeing that.. as its a pointless link i guess?

ABW Ambassador
    Sites frequently do that to keep count of how many times a link has been clicked. Everytime a link is clicked, the CGI script logs it so that a site owner can then pull up the stats to see how many clicks they are sending to your site.

The link isn't pointless - it will still send you traffic.

But, you do lose any PR benefits of the link. SE's also usually can't follow such links - meaning they won't follow the link to your site.

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    >But, you do lose any PR benefits of the link. SE's also usually can't follow such links - meaning they won't follow the link to your site.

Actually, SEs, good ones that is, can and do follow redirects, and Google does ascribe PR to links via redirect scripts, albeit at perhaps a reduced amount.

Of course, the real purpose of having links is traffic, the PR and Ranking benifits are a sidetracking product of current algorithms. So, better to find links from good traffic producing sites/pages than simply chase PR.

Woz
    [url=http://www.dWoz.com/][b]dWoz[/b][/url] - serious webmaster tools & resources.

ABW Ambassador
    Ah, Woz, you're being slightly disingenuous. SEs can follow redirects, sure, but if they're going through the /cgi-bin/ and a site has the /cgi-bin/ excluded in robots.txt then no PR is passed. This is true of most sites that uses these click-tracking tools as they don't want their numbers messed up by bots.

I'd agree with your other point though.

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    >disingenuous

Gosh, had to look that one up, didn't think I was being so. (Hrmph!)

>and a site has the /cgi-bin/ excluded in robots.txt then no PR is passed.

Absolutely true, as is the fact that if the cgi bin is not robots-excluded then PR is passed as normal. However, as this was not in the original question, I did not raise the issue. It is but one of a miriad of ways sites can block PR regardless of whether links are direct or redirected, and that is a whole can of worms worthy of it's own thread me-thinks.

Woz
    [url=http://www.dWoz.com/][b]dWoz[/b][/url] - serious webmaster tools & resources.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread