ABW Ambassador
    I just placed some adsense links on one of my sites for the first time today. All I have to say is wow. I should have done this sooner!
    I forgot what I was doing.

bpal: congrats!

I'm thinking of joining adsense by next month but, your post is tempting me to do the same and join adsense sooner.

Sal.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks, Ian!

Sal, well, it's against their tos to go into the specifics, but let's just say it seems like it's really worth it (or so it seems so far after only a day... might need to give it a little time for testing).

ABW Ambassador
    Just a general adsense question. I've seen someone else post this, but it's okay to put adsense on our affiliate sites, right?

And another, is it okay to make the border the same color as the background?

Anyone got any tips for effective adsensing?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> is it okay to make the border the same color as the background? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep! Just as long as the text is legible.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Anyone got any tips for effective adsensing? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some quick tips:

Put the ad above the fold, if you're only using them in a few places pick pages likely to trigger high-bid ads, and use the biggest ad unit you can cram onto the page. Sometimes it takes a while for Mediapartners/Googlebot to come, so you may see more free ads than normal when you first put AdSense on a page.

Good luck!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

http and a telephoto
    I found that using an alt ad gives me suddenly more usable ads and less of my ad And I get plenty of click throughs on my alt ad too, so it isn't a waste of space!!!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Sweet! Thanks!

BTW, what is an "alt" ad?

Congratulations bpal! I just started with adsense yesterday too, but haven't made anything yet. But this site is kind of new and doesn't really have many pages on it yet or much traffic. Do you mind sharing how many pages on your site you have adsense on? Or is that against their TOS? I wouldn't think it would be, that's pretty general information.

http and a telephoto
    An alt ad is an alternate ad you can specify to run instead of PSA's. You create the html and save it as a file on your site and put the url into your code creation page where is asks for it.
    Deborah Carney

I started with AdSense right when it came out. I have it on nearly every page of all my sites. Really great...it makes extra money for my sites, and I've never noticed a reduction in affiliate revenue because of having adsense ads.

I'm happy with them except for one small item, which all should be aware of: if you have a site hosted on a server and the apparent root is not yoursite.com but theirsite.com/homepages/yoursite then they can say it is not keeping with their policy and they will filter that part of your hits, leaving you a blank on a page.

cost me a week of hit$ until I could fully-host my producing (adsense) site and get the DNS moved over. Having to put redirect pages on the original site may have cost me just a few visitors. waiting for the current holiday to finish before I know for sure.

I put Adsence only on pages that were not converting and I am pleased. It does not detour visitors from my affiliate links that way. I get enough from Adsence to pay my hosting bill every month and that from pages that never made a cent before.

As far as putting them on your affiliate pages, I do know of one merchant that does not allow it on the same pages as their links. Go ahead and put them up and if a mechant complains, take them down or drop the merchant.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

http and a telephoto
    If I make more from adsense than I do the merchant, the merchant will be history. Especially if it is a parasite ridden merchant. Adsense allows me to convert my traffic one way or another!!!
    Deborah Carney

Yeah, AdSense is great for low-performing merchant pages. Makes you feel better about the traffic you get to those pages.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Adsense makes money and you actually get the money in your lifetime.

If you set up your page or pages properly, Adsense can consistently get you a plus 10% CTR.

If you average 10 cents per click thru from Adsense, you are generating ONE CENT per visitor to your site. This means that if you get 1,000 visitors per day, you make $10/day - $300 per month - without having to actually sell any goods or services. Combine Adsense with a good converting merchant, product or services that generates 10 or more sales on 1,000/day visitors and you are making $1,000 or more per month.

Plus there are some Adsense categories that average 25 cents per click thru.

Quality content that has a big demand quotient, Adsense and products and/or services that relate to the content pretty much assures you a good check every month.

Few AdSense Tips:

I get more targeted ads after I do few things to my pages like:
    I put alt text at all the images with the keywords related to the ads I want on the page where Adsense will be located.

I put the meta description, keywords and title also linked to the type of ads I want.

And the most important is the domain name that MUST be linked to the type of ad you want adsense to show.

Hope this helps

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread