My main content site has had a sudden rush of traffic from Google.

It's everything Google is supposed to want.

But..Google giveth and Google taketh away.

Will it last?

ABW Ambassador
    I dunno, but I hope u have one of my links on there, hehehehehe

Congrats from the unpossum.

Radegast:

Geez, I hope I don't have to depend on Google to affirm my faith!

Congrats on the burst of traffic ... I hope it lasts and translates into many, many sales!

Thanks SamyT, Karl

Samy unfortunately not suitable for your products - I'm thinking about the best way to promote them.

I hear Google is changing algorithms several times a week these days.

It'll probably be gone tomorrow...

Wow, same here!! My sales are doing great this morning, reminds me of the days preceeding the big Google change last month. I even noticed my indexed pages count increase by 3k! woohoo!! Let's hope this sticks. Also, Yahoo please come spider my sites!! I'm tired of relying on Google for my income. It's been almost 4 months since I launched and Yahoo still hasn't done a deep crawl.
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Snib

I'm glad your sales are up!

None for me. Smaller things get me excited these days.

Like traffic...

Maybe everyone found money in their Easter Baskets!

did you tweak the site at all during the slow period?

I didn't think it was possible but my traffic is getting less and less by the week :P

Nov 24 is when I got a big boost in numbers.. steady 150 uniques per day nearly 200 through december and between 120-180 during jan and feb and first half of march.. then 100 per day.. 70 per day.. 50.. and so on.

I don't even count anymore since I'm not seeing any money.

no tricks or anything underhanded that I'm aware of to kill the site, did some link exchanges early on to get found but haven't really kept that going, common SEO stuff like title, h1's etc, and the biggest changes being adding more content under various categories for the topic at hand.

as for my mall site.. it didn't get any traffic in the first place

that crunching sound you hear is my hopes and dreams being crushed by google and other search engines.

I started about 6 months ago and it was looking promising until last month, I feel like I'm playing one of the early versions of donkey kong and some giant spiked barrel came down with no ladder in sight.

Canadian,

I think you just pointed out your problem. You aren't doing any link exchanges. Once Google lowered my rankings the first thing I did was make a 'Link to Us' page on my most profitable site. Then I just went to town adding features that would motivate people to link to me. Since then I've got at least 2 or 3 new PR4+ links and it's still counting. I'm really focusing on providing a useful service that people will enjoy. You really can't rely on SEO or the search engines, only yourself and the loyalty you can build from your visitors.

Just build up some loyalty and you'll do just fine.

- Scott

The features part I'm studying now, cramming in as much php/mysql stuff as I can.

One thing that has been constant is a bookmark rate of about 10-12% for the site in question. I don't think I get much return traffic though.. and my own visits really skew stats.. especially when I'm working on something or testing.(multiple page loads and cache dumps)

I grew weary of link "exchanges".. I keep getting offers or requests from unrelated sites using automated software and already have a few unrelated ones in my link pages. When I started link exchanges and checked a month later I found half the sites either dropped the links page, the link, or hid the page, used robots.txt to block the folder, changed to dynamic urls, or my link was buried with thousands of other links in one of those automated link exchange directories. The weeding process was such a waste of time.

You need to establish exchanges with people you can trust. Don't trust most link farms that ask you to sign up. When you communicate with somebody and form a relationship with them, find out if they've got any links they can offer. Just the other day one of my merchants asked if I wanted to do a link exchange. He set up 4 PR5 links for me right away. Always make sure your link appears on a page that is visible in Google and has a decent PageRank. You'll need the google toolbar to see the PageRank for any given page.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread