Phishing Scam or Real?
    Hi GAN Moderator,

A number of GAN affiliates received this e-mail yesterday. Is it real?
    Hello,

You are receiving this email to let you know that there is a discrepancy between your taxpayer information number (TIN) and the taxpayer (payee) name on your supplier account. In an effort to ensure accurate reporting of taxable payments, Google regularly performs TIN matching with the Internal Revenue Service. As per our process, we wanted to let you know that we found a discrepancy and are requesting your help to correct it.

Please provide us with a signed copy of your W9. You may send the W9 form via email to gan-1099-inquiry@google.com or via fax at 650-618-1434 attention to GAN 1099 Reporting. Please ensure that the TIN number provided on the W9 form matches the TIN number registered with the IRS. You can validate which TIN and payee name combinations are valid for you by applying the same test that Google does: registering with IRS e-services at http://www.irs.gov/taxpros/article/0,,id=109646,00.html . Once you're registered, you can sign in and click on the TIN matching link to get started.

On December 1, 2009, Google will check your Tax information against the IRS records again. If we find that your TIN and payee name doesn't match, we'll be required to implement backup withholding on all future payments Google makes to you until you correct your Tax information.

Thank you for your cooperation,

John Ngo
    Google Inc
    Accounts Payable
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

ABW Ambassador
    I got that one too.

Me, too. Looks legit.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

It does look legit and I was just going to respond, but the fax number is unlisted (although it is in palo-alto) and the e-mail arrived to an e-mail address that I stopped using for business several years ago.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

I got this yesterday too. I thought it was fishy because when looking at the details in gmail the "to" address was missing. That and the GAN account I'm assuming it's referring to is deactivated, so I can't log into to it to verify anything. I emailed the sender with a question but haven't gotten a reply. So no one else thinks this is off the wall?

Quote Originally Posted by eeyipes
    So no one else thinks this is off the wall?
    I am not going to submit anything until I receive official verification that this is a legitimate e-mail request. FYI, there is a discussion here as well:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...de696f16&hl=en

ISellStuff, did you check your GAN message box to see if there is a copy of this email in there? I can't log in to my account to see. I also am not sending out info until I get a verification on this. There is no reason for my W9 to suddenly have discrepancies with my IRS records.

ISellStuff, did you check your GAN message box to see if there is a copy of this email in there?
    There are no messages in my GAN mailbox.

Small update maybe ... looked thru my Adsense account profile info under tax information and saw that my Adsense tax info was shown last updated May 09 --- however, I never sent any revisions. I've had the account for a few years, so where that came from, I don't know. But I resent the W9 online thru Adsense, and was greeted with the response of "Thank You .... The tax hold on your account has been removed."

So maybe this notice is an Adsense issue, and not a GAN issue?

.... The tax hold on your account has been removed."
    So maybe this notice is an Adsense issue, and not a GAN issue?
    Hard to say, this message may be hard-coded for everyone who updates their W9... But, I too noticed that my W9 info had a "last updated" date that didn't match any of my submissions and I too got the "tax hold removed" message when I re-submitted.

Hopefully the GAN mod will drop by and verify for us. Still haven't gotten an email reply. Should I start holding my breath?

Remember, legitimate businesses should NEVER ask you for your personal or financial information via email.
    A phishing message may indicate that the entity had problems with their computers or data and that they simply need to verify your account information so you won’t be inconvenienced next time you try to use their services.
    Basic good advice. Internet 101. Search the quotes and you'll find it all over the web.

If there's still any doubt, there's this content on google.com...

asking for things like account numbers, user names and passwords, or other personal information such as social security numbers. Most legitimate businesses will never ask for this information via email. Google doesn't.

Google Affiliate Network Rep Google Affiliate Network Moderator's Avatar
    Hello,

This is a real communication.

Thank you,

Jamie

ah.., oh well

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread