Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Good Link Cloaking WordPress Plugin?
    Looking for a good link cloaking plugin for WordPress.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Just wanted to share what I found so far. Not sure it's the best, but I installed a plugin called GoCodes. I am hoping I will stumble upon a better WP plugin for cloaking. GoCodes allows you to create nice looking url's like www dot site dot com/go/string where "string" is any alphanumeric string you define. When you need a cloaked url, you define the "string", also called the key, and the real url you want it to go to.

I don't think this plugin is really what you're looking for:

http://www.husani.com/ventures/wordp.../linkshortcut/

It's useful for creating "tinyurl" type links you can create and host on your own blog, and CAN be used for link cloaking. Since you haven't gotten any other responses yet -- just thought I'd throw that out there and see if it might be useful.
    Generate more fake news.

Pretty Links is one of my favorites:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/pretty-link/

I second the vote for Pretty Link

Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    Global Perfomance Marketing. Global Niche Markets = Opportunity!
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

I dwell in possibility. ~Emily Dickinson

I third the nomination for Pretty Links - unlike other setups where you have domain.com/go/destination, you can tell Pretty Links to set up domain.com/destination. You can let it generate a link automatically (it'll be in the format domain.com/s3h with a 3 or 4 letter/number code) or you can give it your own (in the format domain.com/shop-ebay or whatever you want).

The only downside is that you need to be careful that you don't tell Pretty Links to create a URL that you're already using... which is highly unlikely, but possible. If you have a post or page located at domain.com/my-ebay-review, you clearly can't have a Pretty Link redirect set up with the same name.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    Are you looking free or paid plugin?
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

Ive been using bit.ly links as redirects to my merchants and have had horrible results. I'm starting to think this method is only effective on social networking sites rather than my blog. Can you lose sales doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by OrganicSapien View Post
    Ive been using bit.ly links as redirects to my merchants and have had horrible results. I'm starting to think this method is only effective on social networking sites rather than my blog. Can you lose sales doing this?
    I personally wouldn't use a free third party service like bit.ly. If you account gets suspended or something happens then all your hard work goes down the drain.

Plus, most users don't want to see a bit.ly link on your site.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

How about the plugin "redirect" or "pretty links?" Redirect seems pretty complicated and i believe you have to pay for pretty links. The only reason why I use bit.ly is for convenience purposes. But you make a very valid point, that's why I'm seeking something just as easy to use but without the downsides and risks of using the a third party site.

Seymour. Thanks for starting this thread. Now that I want to know the answer to the same question all the experts have already shown up! Great answers -- no waiting 8-)

GoCodes is the best! It uses 301 redirects and also provides statistics of which link is clicked how many times. I used GoCodes for very long time and still using on some of my old blogs but on new blogs I use the PHP link redirection script. If you need it, please let me know. I will PM the script.

I looked at GoCodes, but it hasn't been updated in a while (I think the last version was tested at WP 2.8). Pretty Link seems to have more active development at this point. They both look like good plugins though.

That's valuable information LoneWolf. This discussion is leading to information that's going to save time for bloggers. You may be right about PrettyLinks but honestly, I have no experience with Pretty Links, so I can't really compare. About GoCodes, I'm using it on my Wordpress blog version 2.9.2 and it is working flawless. So although the plugin isn't officially declared "functional with 2.9.2", I can confirm that it works fine with the latest working version of Wordpress.

Now all we need is some comparison between the two plugins. There may be some article that we can find out to see the features both of these plugins have. Is there an inbuilt tracker in the PrettyLinks plugin that can count the number of clicks on links created through PrettyLinks?

Pretty Link does have a tracker and a lot of other features that seem pretty sweet. You can check out http://blairwilliams.com/pretty-link/ for more. Blair is the developer.

I'm testing a multi site setup in WP 3.0 and it doesn't seem to work well in this setup (although it could be something I'm doing wrong -- I just started to test it). But I do like the fact that it is actively supported at this point.

I'll give GoCodes a shot as well. I haven't found any comparisons between the two yet.

I use Pretty Link, and I'm using it on 3.0 Beta 1 without trouble. I don't have WP as a multi-site setup though, so that may be the reason it's not working well for you, LoneWolf.

I have no experience with GoCodes, so I can't comment on it.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Thanks Daniel. So far I've been able to create a link using the main site of my multi site network, but not in the subdomain site (I've only tried one of my subdomain sites so far though). It may have something to do with the way redirects are handled in a multi site.

How are you liking 3.0 so far? I'm focusing on getting used to the multi site aspects right now, but I'm looking forward to getting my teeth into the menus and page type enhancements too.

I find myself not using it in any way that I didn't with the 2.x line, actually. I guess I haven't taken the time to really explore it, but I don't see a ton of difference in the way I use it.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Most of the new features will require some work to take advantage of and will likely be used more in new sites, themes and plugins. I'm not sure if I'll go back to my older sites and rework them although I may add the menus to a couple of them.

lol Seymour didn't mean to derail the thread but these guys are awesome and they are getting me involved too

Daniel, LoneWolf, is the BuddyPress integrated into 3.0? If not, have you tried using BuddyPress with Wordpress 3.0? I have a MU site setup but I can't dare to upgrade it. There is some heavy customization on the site. There I'm using BuddyPress, it is really good in terms of allowing your MU blog contributors to interact with each other, make friends, get updates, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Adarsh View Post
    lol Seymour didn't mean to derail the thread but these guys are awesome and they are getting me involved too

Daniel, LoneWolf, is the BuddyPress integrated into 3.0? If not, have you tried using BuddyPress with Wordpress 3.0? I have a MU site setup but I can't dare to upgrade it. There is some heavy customization on the site. There I'm using BuddyPress, it is really good in terms of allowing your MU blog contributors to interact with each other, make friends, get updates, etc.

I tried BuddyPress with 3.0 and haven't had any problems yet. But I loaded it on a test site before switching over. Using the latest version (nightly build) I think its RC2 now!

Daniel has a good WP 3.0 thread going over at http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132234

http and a telephoto
    BuddyPress is upgraded and works great with 3.0
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Pretty Link set-up
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel M. Clark View Post
    I use Pretty Link, and I'm using it on 3.0 Beta 1 without trouble. I don't have WP as a multi-site setup though, so that may be the reason it's not working well for you, LoneWolf.

I have no experience with GoCodes, so I can't comment on it.
    I am new to WP and looking for a plugin to cloak affiliate links. I am ready to activate Pretty Link. Does it needs to be set-up to work as it promises? If so how to proceed .

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast