ABW Ambassador
    Help - Should this meta name robots noindex, nofollow be in the header.php?
    The Arras theme I was using had a new version, so I updated and while I was taking out a line that was causing a description problem I mentioned in the other thread, I was looking at the header php and spotted the line in bold:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" <?php language_attributes(); ?>>
    <head profile="http://gmpg.org/xfn/11">
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="<?php bloginfo('html_type'); ?>; charset=<?php bloginfo('charset'); ?>" />
    <title><?php arras_document_title() ?></title>
    <?php if ( is_search() || is_author() ) : ?>
    <meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow" />
    <?php endif ?>

Should I delete that line? I checked the header.php of a couple of other themes and didn't see robots mentioned at all in the header.php. Thanks for any help.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    On your WP Admin Panel.

Settings > Privacy

What is checked?

ABW Ambassador
    I double checked that, I have - I would like my blog to be visible to everyone, including search engines (like Google, Sphere, Technorati) and archivers

checked off. When I was searching for some info, some people said to make sure to check it and I did.

It seemed this one site wasn't getting all the pages indexed while my other sites seemed to get pages in fine and like I said, I didn't see that tag in the other themes header.php so was wondering if that one tag could be causing some issues.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Now that I look at the code you posted, it looks like it's only applying that nofollow if the page is a search results page or author page. I think your ok. If you view the src on the rendered page, I assume you won't see the nofollow tag there.

I concur with what S/B is saying. The code looks to be designed to keep the "extra/repetitive" pages from being indexed - to avoid duplicate content issues. If the page being rendered is a normal post you should not see the "robots" tag in the source code.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I am not so sure if that script is correct. It basically indexes too many things like tags results, categories results, archives, etc. Then you will have dupe content. If you look at for e.g. Archives page, is it indexing it? So, e.g. one posts will show indexed under Archives and as a standalone post?

I put something similar in mine (before the robots meta plugin came out) that allows indexing only home page, single posts and pages, otherwise don't index.

<?php if(is_home() || is_single() || is_page()){
    echo '<meta name="robots" content="index,follow" />';
    } else {
    echo '<meta name="robots" content="noindex,follow" />';
    }?>
    If you want to delete your script, delete the whole script not just that one line and use the robots meta plugin to handle your indexing that way. I left it in because it was working for me before but the plugin handles other indexing issues as well. It is pretty comprehensive.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the replies, I guess it might be what SB said.

"It basically indexes too many things like tags results, categories results, archives, etc. Then you will have dupe content. If you look at for e.g. Archives page, is it indexing it? So, e.g. one posts will show indexed under Archives and as a standalone post?"

I don't see any of that in what Google has in the SERPS. I used the All In One SEO plugin to use noindex for categories, tags, archives so none of that is showing up in the SERPS, just what I want, the posts and pages.

Note to self, don't work on this stuff that late at night. 9AM, going to bed.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread