Moderator Note: Split out from another thread - left the post being responded about.

I don't think he's still there. Just another newb waking up dead threads.
    Last edited by MichaelColey; November 15th, 2009 at 07:57 AM.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    How many warnings do these noobs get before they're put in the naughty corner?

It depends on the severity and motivation. One that appears to be a true newbie got a one-day ban and a warning email, but will get a considerably longer (or permanent) ban if it continues. One that works for an SEO firm got an immediate permanent ban with no warning.

If you see someone bumping old posts or making a string of one line responses that are not substantive, just ignore them. Don't respond. The moderators see it too, and we'll take action. Sometimes we'll delete the useless bump posts, but when the bumps get responses, it's pointless to delete the bumps.

FWIW, we're also considering a vBulletin modification to warn people when they start to make a response to an old thread.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    FWIW, we're also considering a vBulletin modification to warn people when they start to make a response to an old thread.
    I hope you move ahead with that Sitepoint has that and it's very helpful. Then again, as a board owner, I know add-ons and hacks can be a pain whenever you upgrade

We'll be doing a major upgrade to get on the latest version of vBulletin before we add any hacks, but this is certainly one we're looking at. My main concern with the hack is to make sure it allows established members to continue to respond to old threads, as there are many legitimate times when it makes sense to do so.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

One thing if the new members are not allowed to post links in their sig, is there a way to disable that until after what 250 posts?

Perhaps this way you'll see less spam and less people to report

My main concern with the hack is to make sure it allows established members to continue to respond to old threads, as there are many legitimate times when it makes sense to do so.
    Stopping unwarranted bumps to old posts would be a major improvement. Just seeing the date of the original post in the thread list would be a help.

I agree with John, if there was a way to see the start date, they wouldn't keep getting additional posts after the first poke that woke them up. It is easy to miss the start date of a 2 or 3 page post, and we don't all use the forum the same ways.

I look at newbies (and others) awaking an old post from another perspective; we tell folks that they need to search the board - the answers are all there ... - but sometimes our old posts raise questions - how do we want those questions handled - a new post that rehashes the old post and includes the question or ...

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by micheck
    I look at newbies (and others) awaking an old post from another perspective; we tell folks that they need to search the board - the answers are all there ... - but sometimes our old posts raise questions - how do we want those questions handled - a new post that rehashes the old post and includes the question or ...
    It is the newbies who just come along and post in old threads that add nothing to the forum who are the problem.

Those newbies (and others) who add something meaningful (or ask a legitimate question) are not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    It is the newbies who just come along and post in old threads that add nothing to the forum who are the problem.

Those newbies (and others) who add something meaningful (or ask a legitimate question) are not a problem.
    Exactly. It's the "Thanks for the post!" and "Great question!" and "Good point!" and "I've always wondered about that!" and "Welcome!" posts (especially when there are dozens of them) that are the problem.

FWIW, many (but not necessarily all) of those who do that are here just to spam, whether it's through PMs, signatures, hidden links, or homepage links. That's why the thresholds are relatively high for people to get signature and PM access. We can catch virtually all of them before they become a problem.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

And we are watching for spam etc.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Affiliate Manager Veena krishnappa's Avatar
    why don't you add a Thanks button below after every thread where anyone can thank the person who has posted, instead of writing something. In this way you can stop newbies spamming too.

There is already a "Rate" button, look in the upper right corner of the first post in the threads. As far as I know that is a harmless way to say "Thanks" without bumping a thread. One of the mods might fill in the details if that's not right.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    There is already a "Rate" button, look in the upper right corner of the first post in the threads. As far as I know that is a harmless way to say "Thanks" without bumping a thread. One of the mods might fill in the details if that's not right.
    Awwww, geeze. I didn't know that - and how long have I been here????? Seems I learn something new every day.

P.S. - I just "rated" this thread (first post) at 4-stars.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I am sorry i should have been more clear. What i actually meant was, how about placing a thanks button below every post. So that if anyone wants to thank the poster they can just click the thanks button instead of posting a post with just a thank you or like it.

I don't think that would help. Those who are posting the short, meaningless posts could usually care less about thanking people. They're just inflating their post counts. They wouldn't use a "Thanks" button.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Oh right, did not think in that perspective.
    However it was just a suggestion.........U are the boss

Some points:

I have NEVER noticed or used 'Rate' option before today.
    Either I'm half blind or I'm just not an experienced forum user.
    OR... it wasn't obvious enough.

When I come back here to ABW from time to time I often remember the warm welcome I had when I signed up.
    Then I think: I can't really contribute much on this forum (compared to other members with years of experience) but one thing I CAN do is say welcome to some new members.

I really don't give a toss whether those very likely 'unsubstantive' welcomes count towards my count of posts.

I'm not here to count posts and seek to attain rights to a sig.

I would very likely be the kind of newbie who would post on a very old thread.
    You have to accept that some of the old threads here are VERY interestsing and informative. Especially for newbies.

You can put the limit for PMs and sigs up to 14,000 or 100,000 for all I care.

It's good to see that Michael has some perspective about this - I mean about things like newbies bumping old threads.
    I suppose if you manage a forum and face the wave of spam it's easy to get a cynical attitude - that everybody is somehow on the make, posters are just looking to increase post counts or rights or whatever.

Just my few thoughts.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    If we hate old threads being bumped by newbies, why isn't the forum software set up to auto-close old threads or to only let users with X posts add to them?

Those old threads are new to someone who just started here.

I don't think it's necessarily an issue with bumping old threads as it is bumping old threads with a comment of : "I agree" or "thanks for the post" or "very interesting". It's obvious that some users with less than 10 posts are trying to boost their post count when they hit 20 or 30 old posts with comments like those above. I do believe however that some users just don't realize that the thread that they just viewed is 3 years old (I'm guilty of that myself, and I'm brilliant, duh).

There actually are times when bumping an old post makes senses and the new poster has something SUBSTANTIVE to add. There have been a few times that an old post has inspired new discussions on a topic. I have several old posts bookmarked that I revisit occasionally because I learned something or they inspired me in some way, some information never gets old.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I agree with REMATT. There are nearly countless post in here. If we start a thread that is "similar" or "almost identical" to a thread that is in here from 3 years ago and a Moderator notices that it is a topic talked about in an older thread, they sometime CLOSE it. I have had that happen to me. Of course, I probably hold the record for the number of threads moved to the "Moderators Room". LOL!

But, if we go back and "bump up" a thread from three years ago, we can "punished" for it, if the Moderator that sees it thinks our comment is a "bumping up tactic".

I understand this is a very fine line and the Moderators have the final say, but in a way, it playing mind reader games.

If we can't revisit issues with new thread for fear they will be closed because the topic was talked about 3 years ago and we are hesitant to "bump up" a thread for fear our intent will be taken the wrong way, then it seems to be a game of chance.

I fully understand and have seen those jumping from thread to thread with the "I like this", "Nice post" and "Keep up the good work" type of comments and their intent to increase their number of post.

However, whether we admit it or not, we were all "newbies" at once and will be "newbies" at something else at some point.

Sometimes they just wanna say "thanks" because they learned something and don't really understand they are doing anything "wrong".

Sometimes they may want to know more about that topic and, being new, find it easier to place a simple comment in hopes that someone will respond and make them feel more comfortable and at home. Thus, giving them the courage to ask what they really wanted to but was to nervous about doing so at first.

Some of it is simply in the eyes of the beholder. And what they think they behold may not be the person's intent.

With great power comes great responsibility. And maybe sometimes, a little patience and understanding with those new to this is better than judgement and condemnation.

Just my opinion. And I want to say again, everyone starts out as a "newbie" at everything. So, maybe we need to remember that we have been there. Just because we aren't a "newbie" at the moment doesn't make us any better than anyone else. We all learn by trial and error and error and then the trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfinch
    Of course, I probably hold the record for the number of threads moved to the "Moderators Room". LOL!
    Not even close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfinch
    If we can't revisit issues with new thread for fear they will be closed because the topic was talked about 3 years ago and we are hesitant to "bump up" a thread for fear our intent will be taken the wrong way, then it seems to be a game of chance.
    No need for fear. We have a lot of experience (nearly a million posts worth) telling the difference between forum spam techniques, newbie mistakes, and honest mistakes. Most are extremely obvious. If you find an old thread that you have something new to contribute to, there's no problem with responding to it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

As a total newbie on this forum (as my post count will testify) but a moderator on a different forum (though it is a game forum, so a little bit different), I am of mixed feelings on this. As a newbie I recognize the desire to start connecting with people right away, and figure talking to people, even if it is just a simply "thank you" might start to forge friendships. As an admin, I feel like it is just plain annoying to have a bunch of 1 word posts. Adding a "Thanks" button is complicated and will go as unused as the "rate" function, if for no other reason than people probably won't notice it. A fair compromise in my opinion would be to start just with a pm or email warning if people do a lot of bumping, and then move to banning from there. Some really are just zealous newbies who simply need to be told not to do it. Also, a nice line should be set by saying straight up that if you don't feel your post will add anything but a "thanks" than don't post. Just my opinion, worth about a grain of salt, but I figured I would add it anyways.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread