Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    For Those Who Were Banned From Ebay Or Had Requests For Information, Logs
    First off, I think it's messed up if you're not doing anything wrong.

But something I was thinking about asking and then Magi brought up:

Quote Originally Posted by Magi
    Has anyone noticed a pattern here?

It looks like people who are getting flagged all seem to be using the following:

" phpBay Pro. "
    So I always like to get more information to try to figure out if something is triggering these kind of things.

Whatever info you're comfortable with posting.

Are you using phpBay Pro or something else like that to make pages?

What is your EPC? I know .03 and under they get a little curious.

Are you driving sign ups/ACRUs as well, how many ACRUs per clicks.

Maybe we kind find some kind of pattern, maybe we can't.

Another one on the EPN boards today. They don't give you any of the details you asked for though...

I am in complete shock. I was just notified that my sites were not generating quality after many years with ebay affiliate program (and high quality ratings the whole time) and what I believe to be very strong content built over many years on membership oriented sites. I had a spike in traffic one day on one site a few weeks ago which triggered a quality review. After providing logs and site info, I am totally shocked that my account has been terminated. I really did not think that would be the outcome of this.

I read about it on the boards happening to other people and thought that those people that get terminated must be doing something really wrong. I am an ebay developer too and I have been integrating ebay items onto my sites and have made tens of thousands of dollars every year for many years with ebay.

Seems like an explanation and a chance to know why there was a problem and take corrective action would be the right thing to do. It's not like I have one site but a couple in 3 different niches.

Let this be a warning to you. Quality is a secret and most probably an excuse for some other mysterious force. The work you put into your site with respect to any affiliate program can be gone in an instant and you will never know why.

Did I mention I did not think it would happen to me?

Make that two...

Yep, that's the exact same letter they sent me today, at the end of the same sequence of events.

Spike in traffic, quality review, useless exchange of information, then termination.

Sorry to hear that it happened to you.

Later he mentioned that his EPC was 0.09

ABW Ambassador
    That kind of stuff is just messed up. They really need to get rid of whoever is running the affiliate program. That can be one of the nicest programs in the right hands.

You've got to understand that after switching to a PPC style program, ePN will watch for spikes and look very carefully at the source of those spikes. Before, sending worthless traffic was... well... worthless to an affiliate. Now, sending worthless traffic pays. As has always been the case, PPC is wide open to abuse by affiliates. So ePN now has to place a lot more emphasis on policing the program.

ABW Ambassador
    "Now, sending worthless traffic pays."

That's not true at all. They still use ACRUs and winning bids to figure out the EPC and if you send worthless traffic, your EPC will drop and if you get in the 3 cent and below area, you can get zapped. And from what I've read, they're (ebay) screwing up and a lot of legit affiliates are getting caught up in the terminations.

Yeah, worthless traffic pays, until it gets so bad that the affiliate attracts ePN's attention. Then they're done for. Some affiliates will try it anyway. I'm always suspicious of any affiliate who says they were kicked for no reason at all. The people at ePN aren't idiots. Maybe a little overwhelmed, but I doubt their suspicions arise over nothing.

ABW Ambassador
    You're still wrong. Do you even know how the current system works? There are some threads here on it and they explain in on their blog as well. Worthless traffic does not pay, no matter how many times you repeat it.

"The people at ePN aren't idiots."

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. You have to remember they've been on their own for about a year and a half and this is the 3rd model they're on. The last one was supposed to deal with all the bad stuff and apparently it didn't work or we'd still be on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Byerly
    Yeah, worthless traffic pays, until it gets so bad that the affiliate attracts ePN's attention. Then they're done for. Some affiliates will try it anyway. I'm always suspicious of any affiliate who says they were kicked for no reason at all. The people at ePN aren't idiots. Maybe a little overwhelmed, but I doubt their suspicions arise over nothing.
    Well, I WISH worthless traffic paid. I send a modest number of targeted clicks a day from some community and niche based sites. I was doing really well the first half of last month, converting many of those clicks to bids/sales. Along came a bot that spiked my clicks dramatically one day. When I discovered what happened the next day, I blocked the bot, but the damage was done. Despite continued bids/sales, it was not enough to get my EPC out of the toilet and I got paid NOTHING for the entire last half of the month.

So, not only does worthless traffic NOT pay, but it severely damaged what would have been a good month for me otherwise.

You need look no further than Gary's ordeal to know Ebay is capable of mistakes regarding good affiliates sending good traffic.
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=124443
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Byerly
    I'm always suspicious of any affiliate who says they were kicked for no reason at all.
    Agreed with you 100%....... a few months ago.

However, on doing a little research that is not the case.

Great affiliates are having their logs requested (which as your logs are likely to contain static IPs is an offence under the Data Protection act) then as soon as ebay knows your advertising strategies from those logs, they ban you for some misdemeanor (but they are unable to tell you what that misdemeanor is) STEAL your commissions and use those strategies themselves.

Proof?

See here
    http://www.ripoffreport.com/internet...ermi-6b87d.htm
    and here
    http://www.squidoo.com/the-truth-about-epn
    and here
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=990324
    and here
    http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/s...d.php?p=466489
    and here
    http://www.themilitantaffiliate.com/...aff-competent/
    and here
    http://www.affiliatebestprograms.com...g-controversy/
    and here
    http://www.aaronnimocks.com/am-i-ban...n-or-what.html
    and here
    http://www.aaronnimocks.com/your-eba...erminated.html
    and here
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...6&page=1&pp=25
    and here
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=123219
    and here
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=125073
    and here
    http://internetbusinessdaily.net/epn...ngor-are-they/
    and here
    http://nailsblog.com/2008/08/21/banned-from-epn/

This is getting a little ridiculous... I don't understand why they are so concerned about the server logs and where the traffic comes from... If the affiliate is making money, then presumably eBay is making money. If there is "bad" traffic then there will be no sales and the EPC will be 0 so the affiliate will make no money. Their quality click system should take care of this, right?... If all of these affiliates that are getting terminated were owed a lot of money, then they sent REAL sales to eBay - why does eBay care where they came from??? I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here, but I don't understand. What terms could be violated to get traffic to your site that then goes on to ebay and makes a purchase? I could see if there was automated traffic (bots, etc) that were not generating any sales, but then the EPC would be 0 so that's not the case. What is eBay so concerned about that they are suspending and terminating affiliates that are sending them REAL sales and new customers???

Seriously, it doesn’t make sense as a long-term strategy to get rid of your affiliates that are generating sales and traffic to your site just to not pay them a month or two of earnings. Surely EPN is not that short sighted. Something else is going on that they are "looking" for and they can't manage/find on their own. I don't see what it is though – does anyone understand it??? What's the common thread of those affiliates getting banned???????

Once they have your server logs, they know how you are driving traffic....

Once they know how you are driving traffic, what do they need to keep paying a commission to the middle man for?....

Okay Listen Up Troops ... I am a member of Pre-paid Legal. It is my source for getting letters written to merchants who think I am a patsy. It's a good deal for $25/month.

If I have to do a real legal thing, I use the ***** from Hell to go into legal battle. But she costs real money. So I usually save her for the big fights.

So, awhile back, I had the PPL attorney write a letter and call a merchant in an attempt to recover some funds from a program that dropped me for NO reason. Well, guess what, I got a check from them in the mail yesterday. And it was for well over $1,000. Seems they forgot to read their state's contract law.

I was talking to the legal beagle last night and she said, they said they were cracking down on what was FREE affiliate traffic in the past, because GOOGLE ADSENSE and a major CPM source would drop them if they did not clean up their traffic sources and they really needed the money from these sources to stay in business.

Cracks me up ... when a major company can't survive without running ADSENSE on their site.

Good for you!

I've had the 'phone call' asking how I drive my traffic to eBay, which is why I've started to prepare myself for 'the' email. I've not had the email yet.

If I'm expired for whatever reason, then that's fair enough. Legally, they don't have to give me a reason anyway provided they pay me my commissions owed to me.

If I'm suspended/expired and they ask for my server logs and/or decide they are not going to pay my commissions then I'm like you, I will fight like they will not know what's hit them. A woman scorned and all that

First of all I'd go straight to:
    President and CEO-elect, eBay Inc., John Donohoe
    Senior Vice President, Finance and Chief Financial Officer, Bob Swan
    President, eBay Marketplace Operations, Lorrie Norrington
    Senior Vice President, U.S. Auctions Business, Philipp Justus
    Senior Vice President, Europe, Douglas McCallum
    Managing Director of eBay in the UK, Mark Lewis

Then I'd go to Queens Council, Watchdog, the BBC, the DailyMail and ebay shareholders!

When so much doesn't make sense & you are at the mercy of their ever changing affiliate models, what's the point? And requiring traffic logs? Insanity + Greed = ?...I don't even have a word for this.

Just pulled my links and closed account. Don't need the aggravation or worry.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

I got accepted into eBay awhile back but never put up any affiliate links to them. I'm glad I didn't now, otherwise I would be spending time taking them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Do you even know how the current system works?
    Oh sure, and doing very well with ePN since the change thank you...

BTW, that worthless traffic I'm referring to is black-hat traffic generated by tricky affiliates manipulating the system. They do it with any PPC program.

The two expired guys at the top of this thread had an EPC of 0.14 and 0.09 respectively. Not what we've been told by EPN is rate equating to worthless traffic.

And I agree with you Ed, anyone manipulating any system should be removed.

But we are seeing GENUINE affiliates getting expired. I've given you links to HUNDREDS of them. Not only are they getting expired but many of them are not being given their hard earned commissions nor are they being provided with a reason for none-payment!

Let's get back to original Question from Trust -- finding a pattern to the account terminations.

Here are my thoughts ...

First I do not think PHPBay Pro has anything to do with it. I just completed EPN's latest survey and one question asked was what software you used to develop your site -- PHPBay PRo was listed. Second, one of the BETA testers for QPC uses PHPBay Pro exclusively. He was in touch with EPN (even a few top program managers) on almost a daily basis during the BETA period -- they had No Problem with him using PHPBay or the way he had setup his site. In fact they complimented him on his CTR/Sale ratio.

Click Quality: I think the problem is the partner may be driving sales to eBay fine, with a good EPC, but ...

* They are either getting too many ACRU's that buy once and yet do not buy again. Their ratio may be too high of ACRU's / Winning Bids.

This can happen on alot of products -- especially high dollar products.

* Their visitors bid/buy items -- but Not the original type of products that they clicked thru to -- or they are bidding on products and the posting date is several days after the clickthru date too many times ...

EPN thinks the above people would have come to eBay on their own (sigh), which we all know is not the case. They come to our site for "targetted" product, click-thru to eBay. Then eBay shows them all these other products in ads saying "hey we have a special over here, or look at this, or look at that .." and we (EPN affiliates) get dissed because our click-thru did not buy instantly ...

If you are going to do well with EPN QPC (now), you need to be extremely targetted, have your auctions set at either "ending soonest" or "buy it now" only -- and cross your fingers and toes.

Asking for Logs:

EPN setup that new rule about only visitors clicking thru your OWN site is allowed. What is happening (IMO), people have their RSS feeds available thru-out the net that show "live" ebay affiliate URL's in them. If a person visits a site (not yours), with your feed on it and clicks thru to eBay -- that click is being referred by someone else's website.

If you have RSS Feeds make sure only the summary is showing --and it does Not have live affiliate links in it.

The above are my own thought -- so take them as you may --

Like Trust, I think it is important to find some kind of pattern ...

Anne

Quote Originally Posted by Boomers Supply
    I will absolutely guarantee you I was doing nothing wrong -- and I was terminated/reinstated/terminated/reinstated/terminated/ and THEN reinstated with an apology that they thought the problem (which was never explained to me) had been fixed so I wouldn't be terminated that last time.

So, yeah, I think maybe a lot of the people running EPN are, for lack of a better term, idiots.
    Generate more fake news.

Ok, let's talk about what DOES work... so far. We're at 14¢ epc which has remained the same since the change. You can look at our affiliate pages through the link in my signature. Hover Products --> Leisure and click Toys. Most all of the products there are ePN items. Don't click the "More" buttons which go directly to eBay. Click the thumbnails to view the product detail pages. You'll see current eBay listings there. ePN seems to like this arrangement.

If you like your ePN income, create product-centric pages rather than click-centric optimized pages.

Now, that said, watch us get booted from the program for some unknown reason.

[Edited to add] Did I mention, please don't click the eBay links?

X

I believe that the new EPN system is geared towards rewarding traffic that consists primarily of late stage buyers. You need to make the sale on the auction item that is clicked on within x minutes of the click through. To really thrive, you need a conversion ratio that is above 1%. eBay doesn't want branding or drive by window shopping, they want conversions, lots of them, and quickly.

EPN seems to penalize affiliate efforts that don't match the above paragraph. The farther your business model is from the above, the more at-risk you are of banning.

I personally feel that the shopping.com PPC affiliate model has played a big role in the new EPN. So if you start to think of what shopping.com wants from its affiliates, then you may start to get an idea of what EPN was thinking. In other words, affiliates for shopping.com that don't have high conversion rates hurt merchants that list on shopping.com and can destroy shopping.com's business.

I think its interesting that eBay has gone in this direction with EPN. Perhaps eBay wanted to raise the perceived quality of advertising that they host on their website.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast