View Poll Results: Do you read your program emails/newsletters?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

5 16.67%
  • Sometimes

13 43.33%
  • Rarely

9 30.00%
  • Never

3 10.00%
    Affiliate Manager
    Newsletters - Do you Read Them?
    Hello all~

How many of you actually read the emails/newsletters from your program manager? Thanks!

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    depends - subject line has a lot to do with it.

"Who" it is from is a big determining factor for me.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    The 3 big factors in these order:

-Subject line
    -First sentence

a) Subject line
    If it is catchy, you would open it and give it 5 seconds.

b) From: Company name / Affiliate manager's (AM) name
    If you know that the AM on a personal level and / or he-she is known to throw out good deals, there is an incentive to pull the deal from the email.

c) First sentence
    Even if an affiliate decides to open that email, you do not want to read a 500 word paragraph about the company's history before finding out it, "checkout the next email for Black Friday Exclusive deal". Why not mentioned it on the first line?

Depends on the content that interest me.

Affiliate Manager Veena krishnappa's Avatar
    Depends from whom and then the subject line.

it's much like any e-mail. Determining factors for me include:

1) Who is it from? Does the sender usually provide useful information? Or do they have a record of having useless information?

2) What it the subject? If the subject makes it sound like something useful, or even something routine (weekly/monthly updates), then I'm more apt to read it.

3) Is it readable? Some people actually use very poor style choices. One merchant consistantly sends these using black font on a dark blue background. Very hard to read, and really not worth the strain on my eyes to try to make it out.

4) Is it well organized? I prefer a newsletter where the info (particularly the deals) are well highlighted and easy to read.

Overall, for me, it's not so much a matter of "Do I read the newsletter" as it is a matter of "How much time do I spend on the newsletter?". Typically I will at least scan over any newsletter I receive (other than the dreaded black on dark blue). If it's easy to read and looks useful, then I'll read through it.

I sign up for and read all emails from vendors and related affiliate centers.

After all, some say "New from vendor X - coupon code, free trial, new product, time to update to 200X version...."

But some say "Vendor X is no longer with us - thanks for supporting [our afiliate platform] and BTW those old links on your site are NOW DEAD".

Both messages are important.

But one is very annoying.

Hi,

As a merchant, thanks for the great input, would also like to know what would interest you in Newsletters.

Cheers

I will always quickly "scan" every program newsletter rather than read. I almost never read network newsletters.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Unfortunately, I read waaay too many merchant newsletters. I have no problem reading even more if they actually have some value, and I get some that are excellent, but I also get some that are a total waste of digital ink.

A couple of days ago I received a merchant newsletter that basically read: "Now's the time to make sure you have our links up for the Holiday Season".

It then went on to tell about their policies on the use of coupons and trademark bidding. That's it. No tips, no hints, no coupons, no links, nothing that wasn't in their October newsletter with the exception of something to the effect of "Now's the time to make sure you have our links up for Halloween". Or their August newsletter that read something like: "Now's the time to make sure you have our links up for back to school". You get the picture, if you've read one, you've read them all.

The worst part was, I knew what the newsletter would say and I opened it anyway, I'd hoped it would be different. But I knew.

So here's one more bullet point to add to my list of merchant don'ts regarding e-mails. While recycling is in, regurgitating isn't. It isn't "news" if you've sent it more than once.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

If I have time, but generally speaking, no.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Unfortunately, I read waaay too many merchant newsletters.
    -rematt
    I think that's the issue that merchants must circumvent. The newsletter has to be informative in a way that is beneficial to the affiliates. Beit new promos or effective strategies, it has to be worth reading.

I also found it effective to run mini-bonus campaigns (when applicable) to help boost activity and generate interest in my newsletters.

With a small 'trivia' question or something involving the affiliate to log in and perform an action, it generates activity and offers a benefit to the affiliate with a small cash or slightly greater commission incentive.

In general, a little thinking and some creative maneouvers can greatly increase the readership and acknowledgement of your newsletter as a source of content WORTH READING.

Depends when it interest me.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread