Question Howto: 2nd Window opens on click
    I see alot of coupon sites have a botton "Click here for Coupon" if you click on the button it takes you to another page and shows you the coupon code and at the same time open a NEW (2nd) window with the merchant site (I guess to set their cookie). How do they do this?

fyi I program in asp
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

This can be done with javascript, for one. It basically opens a popup window.

Code:
    <a href="http://www. opens-first-window" onClick="window.location.href='http://www. opens second window in new frame';" target="_blank">What you want the link to say</a>

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Thank you both!! BurgerBoy that example of the code is just want I was looking for.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

You're welcome.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I would strongly discourage you from doing this, particularly if one of those two links is an affiliate link and/or that's not the behavior that the end user might reasonably expect.

With most coupon sites that employ this practice, the end result is essentially the same as if they were stuffing cookies. The user navigates to a page to see what coupons are available for a merchant, but instead of just seeing the coupons (and clicking through if there's one they want), the second page results in an affiliate cookie being set.

There have been several threads discussing this over the years.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I would strongly discourage you from doing this, particularly if one of those two links is an affiliate link and/or that's not the behavior that the end user might reasonably expect.
    Michael is right. I was thinking you were asking about AFTER an individual coupon link was clicked. In my mind, it would be OK to do it then but not before. I could be wrong, though.

I understand both points of view on this and do not have any current plans on setting this up. It was more of a "How do you do this?" since it may be a good fit for future development projects (Not a coupon site since their are so many coupon sites already out their)

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread