Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OK, how long did it take your site to get a significant amount of traffic? 1 year, 2 years? Uniques vs. returning?

It took me 6 months with my current site to get 84,000 hits with 20% as returning visitors. It appears to be increasing every month by 9-11%.

Before then, I had the site off line for 1 year. The previous years it took me 2 years to get to 24,000 hits.

How did yours do?
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

Affiliate Manager
    What do you mean by 84,000 hits? Unique visitors or page views, or what?
    It took me about 2 months to get about 150 daily unique visitors.
    Thomas Burgemeister - Affiliate Manager
    affiliates@LensWorld.com - 425-372-3471
    LensWorld.com: 10% commission, 120 return days, parasite free - Sign up at <a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=20626">ShareASale</a>.

84,000 hits, are you sure on that, I'm with burgi I"m getting about 1-2,000 hits a day now. and about 20,000 uniques a month. took me about 200 hits in the first couple months with my new site, then it increased over time. My traffic is highly targeted and I'm making enough to pay rent and bills, I couldn't even imagine how much money I would make with 84,000 clicks. though I don't really pay attention now to hits, more like visits or uniques.

84,000 total over all visitors to the site. This is not pageviews, ( which are averaging about 2.25 pageviews / visitor ). Now this is a 6 month total not a monthly total.
    Luke

oh okay, It will probably take couple years if you want to see BIG NUMBERS. I think I have about a year left or less until I reach the BIG numbers myself meaning over 300,000+ hits, 100,000 uniques a month.

Anyone else want to weight in? I'm looking for how long it took you to make significant traffic. Ok let me this easy. How many ABW vets have had 1,000,000 visitors lifetime to your site? Big Numbers.
    Luke

Our oldest site, currently live since 1/2000 is well over the 1 million mark for visitors. It took almost three years to get decent numbers (35-50k visitors per month). It's a large content site that does well in SE's.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tiger 23:
    Anyone else want to weight in? I'm looking for how long it took you to make significant traffic. Ok let me this easy. How many ABW vets have had 1,000,000 visitors lifetime to your site? Big Numbers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have one that averaged between 5,000 and 10,000 visitors a day for several years. Now it's probably getting 500 to 1000 visitors a day.

It's a c*ntent site, and most of the time it doesn't do much better than paying its own bandwidth expenses. But once in a while it warms up and earns me a few hundred dollars a month.

In the olden days, when it was much easier to make money this way I got around a thousand dollars a month from it. Things change. I haven't done any maintenance or promotion on it for years.

But I don't remember how long it took to get that traffic. Of course, c*ntent traffic is usually easier to get than product traffic.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

Traffic is no good unless it is the right sort of traffic, so you can't look at hits,pages views etc in isolation.

You need to look at conversion ratios too

A smaller traffic volume with a higher conversion ratio could well be a lot more valuable, and have less implication on bandwidth.

Les

One of my sites has had over 10,000,000 visits in about 3.5 years. It's a general interest type content site.

Generally, affiliate sites I build get to the 150 unique/day level in 1 or 2 months.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> A smaller traffic volume with a higher conversion ratio could well be a lot more valuable, and have less implication on bandwidth.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I have one site that definitely fits this category. The whole site is only about 25 pages or so, and it doesn't make big money, but it does produce and has a very high conversion rate - higher than any of my other web sites.

ABW Ambassador
    My content site hit the 1000 unique visitor a day average about 8 months after being launched. Hit the 2000 unique visitor average about 12 months after launch date.

Over Christmas traffic spiked up to around 5000 unique visitors per day.

Since then, things seem to have leveled off at around 3000-4500 unique visitors per day - with Saturday the slowest and M-W the busiest days.

The site is a huge content site.

I get about 1 million uniques ... a decade, to one of my sites.

YOu'll never get a straight answer to your question. Don't forget google now updates on a very regular basis. THe last site I did started up in feb of this year and today is averaging 4,500 uniques daily or about 38,000 hits. Another site started about the same time this year has only gotten about 200 vistors total to this day. I guess it all depends on what you do and how much work you are willing to put into it.

So it appears that content sites are king. But I agree with Websmith, conversion ratios are far more important than just hits, visitors. So it looks like we have to provide just the right content to attract the SEs and convert the customers. Looks like I'll be typing content for days and days.
    Luke

Dang, and the only hits I like to count are the ones that make the cash drawer go Ka-Ching...

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "So it appears that content sites are king."

Right now my biggest Sales site is getting the most traffic, easy. About 57,000 visitors last month. That's about 1900/day. It's about a year old.

Big content site on popular topic? 28,000/mo. 933/day. It's about 2 1/2 years old.

Revenue sites are absolutely King here, both in money and in traffic. Content, bow down!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Now, that's how burn up some wheels!
    Luke

Very interesting. How did you get that much traffic in such a short period of time ? Link exchange, perhaps ?

My oldest witch store gets around 1800 a day. That is 640800 a year. Of course my content site has a whole lot more traffic
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Content, bow down! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hardly. Just because yours is not doing well, you shouldn't generalize.
    I have a content site that receives over 30,000 uniques daily. Another one with about 16,000 uniques daily.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Irma--Content people shouldn't generalize either, yet they do it all the time. After all, that phrase "c*tent is k*ng" didn't just come from nowhere! What's good for the goose...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>How did you get that much traffic in such a short period of time ? Link exchange, perhaps ? ~Redsand <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, it took some outside link exchanges before the engines would recognize that particular revenue site. Which is unusual. The size of the site has been both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because now that it's indexed, the amount of products on it gives it a much greater opportunity to come up in the SERPs. But a curse, because for a long time the SEs wouldn't venture too deep--spiders reacted as if they were looking into the Abyss. And Google *still* hasn't indexed the whole thing!

As for the c*ntent site, I submitted it to some directories dedicated to the subject. Most of them required a link back, but that's about it for exchanges. It's picked up some courtesy links, but most of those are from pages with no PR to speak of.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Well, my biggest revenue producing affiliate site gets 200-300 visitors a day and does $2,500 in commissions (approx.) a month. My second biggest gets 200 visitors and is now earning me around $1,000 a month. That's 200 visitors a month for the second one. 6-7 visitors a day.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Irma--Content people shouldn't generalize either, yet they do it all the time. After all, that phrase "c*tent is k*ng" didn't just come from nowhere! What's good for the goose... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Leader, Leader, Leader ... *sigh*

&gt;&gt; Traffic is no good unless it is the right sort of traffic

Exactly , i once had a site with just about 200 uniques a day which made about 4k a month...

Raw Traffic is nothing ...I can just make a Britney spears picture/fan site with all those infamous spelling variations and easily rake more than 10k uniques a day - but the bottomline will be none . I will be surprised if it can make like $500 a month

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast