Have a read of
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion...-05-edit_x.htm

I find this interesting as I have been putting off buying a DVD player as there seem to be so many options to get my mind round. So the buying moment keeps on getting put on the pending pile.

So does this mean that pages with less products on them are going to convert better than ones with more.

Another instance of "less is more" ?

Any one tried making pages smaller and improved their conversion rates as a result?

Les

ABW Ambassador
    How much you have on a page is not really key. It's how you format the page. 99% of people put a table on the page and then insert smaller tables into the larger table (such as ABW does). The page won't load until that main table with all the smaller tables has loaded. Break the table into a series of small tables and it takes roughly the same amount of time to load, but to the viewer it appears to load instantly.

I've got some pages that are 100-200KB in size, but viewers say it loads almost instantly. Actually they're looking at the top tables that have filled their screen while the others are loading in the background.

So to answer your question, less is not always more and more is not always less.

Or, you can use straight CSS.

Then the only wait is for images to load. Your content will be visible instantly.

Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

I do have my own software product that measures download time,as well as a lot of other page metrics - keywords etc, so am fully aware of the issues with slow pages and the problems with tables within tables.

For my own sites I tend to use a mixture of tables and CSS , with CSS for the overall layout and then tables at the bottom level to layout items.

In terms of "choice overload" I was wondering if anyone has found an optimum number of items per page. i.e. if people are presented with a smaller number of items to look at on a page are they more likely to click through whereas with too large a list wll they just pospone their research or worse still go somewhere else.

I have never measured accurately but my gut feel is that the top right is the prime position to put one's most profitable merchandise.

Les

On choice overload, usually a webpage should only be 1 1/2 screens tall. If your page is correctly formated, then a person can scan the page for what they are looking for quickly.

Proper use of bold text, spacing, graphics, links and ads can help a person find and buy a product. Web surfers like to scan sites quickly.

The guy in the article didn't have the proper comparasion information availble for him to make the decision. If the information was on the site, he would have bought from that site.

Educating a potential customer on how to make the right decision will usually create a buyer for you too.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread