Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lightbulb Congress is cracking down on Internet marketing companies
    I saw this on NBC News - then i started a quick search for the new article and here is one that came up!!

Small snip
    "Legislation targets unethical, aggressive sales tactics that result in countless 'mystery charges' for consumers.

A Senate probe focused on online marketing firms Affinion, Vertrue and Webloyalty."

A Source:
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,1840838.story
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

ABW Ambassador
    That's good, I know Webloyalty has been talked about a lot here.

Hooray for Congress on this one, if anything serious ever comes of it.

I was suckered in by webloyalty myself last spring. We ordered a pizza online from a business I won't name (the company's last name rhymes with "butt"), and had a "Save $xx.xx on your next order!" window pop up after we completed the order.

I wasn't expecting to sign up for anything, and when I clicked on the popup, my browser started going a little crazy. I kept clicking through, expecting to find a coupon, and I don't actually remember what I did after they jumped me through a bunch of "hoops."

The next month, my wife asked what the billing was on our debit card for $29 (I think) or something like that.

It took email and a couple of phone calls, but they did cancel our membership and refund our money.

I fired of a blistering email to pizza butt about it, too.
    Generate more fake news.

What pisses me off are the merchants that work with slime balls like Web Loyalty. They're tactics have been reported on by Consumer Reports since as early as 2005, so no merchant can claim ignorance about who they're dealing with. It's disgusting that they think so little of their customers that they're wiling to expose them to this type of fraud.

I hope Congress publishes a complete list of Web Loyalty "partners" so that consumers can make the right choses about which merchants they want to do business with.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

yea I caught part of that tonight, too. They had Ben Edelman (think is his name but not sure) for teeny segment of it. They did name some of the merchants.

ABW Ambassador
    That's wonderful news. I hope the Congress take it seriously.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Good news. No merchant should have the right to pass on your CC info. If you are going to sign up for anything with another company, you should have to resubmit that CC info.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    WEBLOYALTY, AFFINION, VERTRUE under investigation

The investigation...found that millions of Americans are unwittingly enrolled in membership clubs created by three online marketing companies: Affinion, Vertrue and Webloyalty. The companies and their partners have earned more than $1.4 billion by exploiting online shoppers through aggressive sales tactics, according to the investigation.
    Do any of your affiliate programs work with WEBLOYALTY?

http://consumerist.com/5407374/88-bi...ebloyalty-scam

Yikes, I send a bunch of hotel reservations through a merchant that uses these guys! At least they have a way for their affiliates to opt-out of using the Webloyalty thing.

Here's a letter I just sent to their Affiliate Manage:

I value my relationship with IHS - we've made a decent amount of money for each other over the past 5 years or so. So I was alarmed to learn that you are working with a sleazy company that is currently under investigation by Congress for deceptive practices. This makes your affiliates look bad.

Here are a couple of interesting articles, in case you are not aware of the Congressional investigation:

Yes, I know I can opt-out, and I will. But I just wanted to make sure you are aware that you are tarnishing your affiliates' reputations by partnering with a company that seems to be widely considered rather slimy.

If WL is as bad as everyone is saying, I suggest that other affiliates send similar letters to their merchants who use WL.

Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    Thanks for posting this article.

Interesting angle, its going to get very interesting in our business over the next three years as the government starts to actively address many of the issues that come up in our industry. More to come, I am sure!
    Emilio Yepez
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    PH: 305 389 8955
    AIM: affiliateagle
    Email: emilio@lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    Follow Me On My Twitter

Programs Managed - Join Now! | Navarro.com|| OneWayFurniture | OnlyKidsHangers | EverythingHangers.com | RejuvByCaci.com |

Quote Originally Posted by trailhub
    Yikes, I send a bunch of hotel reservations through a merchant that uses these guys! At least they have a way for their affiliates to opt-out of using the Webloyalty thing.

Here's a letter I just sent to their Affiliate Manage:

I value my relationship with IHS - we've made a decent amount of money for each other over the past 5 years or so. So I was alarmed to learn that you are working with a sleazy company that is currently under investigation by Congress for deceptive practices. This makes your affiliates look bad.

Here are a couple of interesting articles, in case you are not aware of the Congressional investigation:

Yes, I know I can opt-out, and I will. But I just wanted to make sure you are aware that you are tarnishing your affiliates' reputations by partnering with a company that seems to be widely considered rather slimy.

If WL is as bad as everyone is saying, I suggest that other affiliates send similar letters to their merchants who use WL.
    I've been with them for a long time, also, and refused to have them put W/L on any of my various booking accounts when they first started pushing them. I have also sent updates as W/L et.al. appeared in news articles over the last couple years. But it all has fallen on deaf ears (we may have the same mgr - JH?). I have been slowly transitioning sites to another fulfillment source. Shame, too, because they have just announced a new, enhanced booking platform that sounds rather interesting.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Taking people's money with out their consent is theft, or at least it used to be.

Lawmakers need to hit up thieving merchant partners on this one, and make examples out of them.

By targeting only the scammers, another crop of scamsters will evolve to take their place, where as if unethical merchants know consequences are involved for themselves, they'll be less like to partner in scamming attempts in future.

Wish action had been taken on this sooner, unfortunate that some companies fed into this model. Notable that it doesn't seem like the credit card companies / processors aren't mentioned as facilitators in the congressional staff report. Don't they have web-transaction standards that need to be upheld?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I jumped all over this (with my merchant clients blessings) by filling legal papers against several host cart companies who automatically embedded the WebLoyality type programs in the merchant clients shopping carts. Took several years to reach the Federal Courts and now Congree. All the cart companies I threatened immediately backed out of automatically enrolling companies like Holdup Suspenders in these privacacy violating scams back in 2006.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ht=Webloyality

Linkshare merchants were victimized by these Adwhore wanks as AM pocketed some serious "pay to play" money like they did with the BHO's.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Welcome back, Mike! Long time, no see!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Hi Mike and Charlie.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Hey Mike!!!

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Welcome back Mike and
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Online Marketing Consultant
    Wb
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Hi Mike and Charlie
    Hope your health is doin better and you've been feelin better

Beachy Bill said:
    I've been with them for a long time, also, and refused to have them put W/L on any of my various booking accounts when they first started pushing them. I have also sent updates as W/L et.al. appeared in news articles over the last couple years. But it all has fallen on deaf ears (we may have the same mgr - JH?).
    Hey Bill, no actually I heard back from "DT", who to her credit responded very quickly. She explained why they [IHS] think that Webloyalty is on the up-and-up, how WL makes it clear to the consumer what's going on, etc. She said they have only had a handful of complaints and WL was very good about refunding money. She said WL now makes you enter credit card info on the WL site, which helps make it clear that it's a separate third-party deal.

Despite all that, WL still leaves me feeling very uncomfortable and I have opted out. Shame on me for not looking into this a little more closely back when they started offering it, or I would probably have opted out from the start. I really like dealing with IHS and hope that they will know when it's time to walk away from WL to avoid tarnishing their own goodwill. It's their calculated business decision, I suppose.

companies that donít engage in these tactics are at a disadvantage. They earn less revenue, meaning they canít be as aggressive on core pricing and on advertising. So without regulation, sites that donít engage in scamming users are forced into the practice, or out of business.
    good article on this at techcrunch
    www. techcrunch.com/2009/11/17/ptm-scams-scamville-rockefeller-senatehearing-wallofshame/

looks like about every big travel supplier is in on it...

Quote Originally Posted by trailhub
    Hey Bill, no actually I heard back from "DT", who to her credit responded very quickly. She explained why they [IHS] think that Webloyalty is on the up-and-up, how WL makes it clear to the consumer what's going on, etc. She said they have only had a handful of complaints and WL was very good about refunding money. She said WL now makes you enter credit card info on the WL site, which helps make it clear that it's a separate third-party deal.
    At best she is being disingenuous (and I'm being very charitable), worst case she's a total moron (oops, charitable well ran dry) or living in a cave without Internet access.

A simple Google search on Webloyalty brings up 174K hits, most of which are negative press, complaints and class action suits. A search on "Webloyalty fraud" brings up 24K COMPLAINTS and "Webloyalty scam" has similar results. To quote Dennis Green, "they are who they thought they were". Any merchant that claims ignorance is frankly lying and doesn't care about their customers or their own reputation for that matter. These are not organizations that I would do business with, as a consumer or affiliate.

-rematt

I am sad to say that I see a few of my merchants on the list. What a shame. I have not heard of any of these companies before Affinion, Vertrue and Webloyalty..

Time to change out some links.

PARTNERS PAID OVER $10 MILLION

1-800-Flowers.com
    Buy.com
    Classmates.com
    Columbia House
    Confi-Check
    Expedia/Hotels.com
    Fandango
    FTD
    Hotwire
    InQ
    Intelius
    MovieTickets.com
    Orbitz
    Priceline
    Redcats USA
    Shutterfly
    Travelocity
    US Airways
    VistaPrint

PARTNERS PAID BETWEEN $1-10 MILLION

1-800 PetMeds
    Adteractiv
    Airtran Airways
    Allegiant Air
    Allposters.com
    American Greetings
    Auto Parts
    Avon
    Barnes & Noble
    Bizrate.com
    Bookspan
    Boston Apparel Group
    BuySeasons/Celebrate Express
    Campusfood.com
    Cendant Intercompany Agreements
    Channel Advisor
    Cheap Tickets
    Choice Hotels
    CollectionsEtc.com
    Continental Airlines
    Currents USA (123 Prints)
    Custom Direct
    Digital River
    Dr. Leonard's
    Drugstore
    eHarmony
    eTix
    eToys
    Fareportal
    FragranceNet
    From You Flowers
    FTD Florists Online
    Gamestop/EBgames
    Gevalia
    Haband
    Half.com
    Hanover Direct
    Hertz
    HiSpeed Media
    Infinity Resources
    J.C. Whitney
    Joann.com
    Lillian Vernon
    Live Nation
    Marketworks
    Miles Kimball
    Musicnotes
    MyLife.com
    MyPoints
    Pizza Hut
    Potpourri
    Restaurants.com
    Riverdeep
    Shoebuy
    Simplexity
    Spirit Airlines
    Suresource/Americart
    Thompson Group
    Tiger Direct
    TimeLife
    True.com
    True Credit (True Link)
    Upsellit.com
    US Search
    Victoria's Secret
    Vitacost
    WayPort
    West
    Yahoo

I can't wait for the BS 'apologies' soon to come...

(As the CEO of bigstupidcompany.com, may I say that your satisfaction is important to us. Unfortunately, recently it has come to my attention that a very small percentage of our customers...blah...blah...blah)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast